closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Light wiring dilemma

Master

Light wiring dilemma

My youngest has just got the keys to her house and I’ve started the renovation
    There was a monstrous 70’s spotlight in the corner of the lounge that I’ve removed and pulled up into the floor space temporarily but obviously want to remove it right back
    The room had this and a centre light fitting but a triple dimmer
    The spot seemed not to work - I can check this with metre
    It appears to have 5 wires coming in but the dimmer switch only has 2 in it that apper to sort of be looped
    I think the wire with blur tap in the switch - 2 wires are obviously the loop in and out but the rest is puzzling me - I can’t find any other switches that could have turned on this light
    Any help would be appreciated
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr

I would get an electrician to look at it.

Like any lighting ring you have permanent lives and switch lives, the switch lives should be colour coded with some insulation tape.

In all fairness it’s difficult for anyone to understand a lighting ring without seeing the switch side plus you will probably get unqualified people like me giving you advice!

Blog Entries
    Get an electrician. Seriously.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Will do

The photo below made me smile, my FIL asked me to change a light fitting in his downstairs loo. I have changed a few in my house and knowing very basic lighting layout's thought I would give him a hand.

When I took the fitting off, the number of wires and connectors that came out reminded me of your photo - I put it all back and told him to get an electrician!

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    My youngest has just got the keys to her house and I’ve started the renovation
    There was a monstrous 70’s spotlight in the corner of the lounge that I’ve removed and pulled up into the floor space temporarily but obviously want to remove it right back
    The room had this and a centre light fitting but a triple dimmer
    The spot seemed not to work - I can check this with metre
    It appears to have 5 wires coming in but the dimmer switch only has 2 in it that apper to sort of be looped
    I think the wire with blur tap in the switch - 2 wires are obviously the loop in and out but the rest is puzzling me - I can’t find any other switches that could have turned on this light
    Any help would be appreciated
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr

Proper rooks nest you have there, send in the pro's

There appear to be three white cables coming up from the bottom, but only two pairs of live/neutral wires. Two of the cables seem to be connected within a tape joint - that looks a bit suspect.

Blog Entries
    Not a sparks, I just know a bit but I would not like to be faced with that rats nest which does not exactly look safe with all that insulation tape and odd bits. As said by others, get a qualified sparks in on this one.

I wouldn't even trust that lot to be on the right breaker. I would get a sparky to give the whole property a safety check.

Craftsman
    I used to be a sparks and that is a fire waiting to happen.

Terrible. Insulation tape has no place in any house wiring, neither has that ‘choc block’.

The four cables coming down should be terminated in a proper junction box mounted on a joist in the ceiling space then one wire coming down to the light.

https://www.electricalcounter.co.uk/...Junction+Boxes

Get a sparky in if you are not 100% sure what you are doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    All sorted now and terminated correctly in a wiska box
    Thanks