closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Munich - anything that must be seen/done or recommendations for beer and bratties

Munich - anything that must be seen/done or recommendations for beer and bratties

I have some time to kill next week, a half day on Tuesday, a couple of evenings out, and another half day Friday AM.
    I'll be staying central (In the "Englischer Garten" on the river, more or less) and no vehicle.

Anything specific really worth seeing? (And maybe even something a little watch-related??)
    Happy with culture, architecture, nice bimble about, essen und trinken, etc.

Craftsman
    https://www.augustinerkeller.de/en

I always visit the above and the English garten stand area when in Munich both great for food and atmosphere.

The cycle tour was really good a few years ago and took a few hours one afternoon.

Master
    We visited Dachau. Very sobering but I'm glad i did it.
    Other than that a nice afternoon spent in the English Garden munching
    wurst and drinking steins.

maseman

About an hours train ride from Munich, not that far! from the Alps.

I worked an hour from Munich (Schliersee), in the 70s in a hotel.

Lovely scenery mountains lakes etc all around the area.

Could be worth a look.

If you like steak check out https://kvr.de/

Master
    Blog Entries
    Peasants meal at the schniderwiess taproom

I really like Munich. I would recommend the Neue Pinakothek and the Deutsches Museum.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by maseman View Post
    We visited Dachau. Very sobering but I'm glad i did it.
    Thirty odd years ago I spent a fortnight on business in Munich. Over the weekend a couple of Germans, who were also staying in the hotel generously invited me to join them for a trip there. It remains one of the most atmospheric places I have ever been, leaving me with a number of strong and seemingly indelible memories.

Thanks all.
    I have visited some other Holocaust memorials previously and they had, and continued to have, a deep effect on me.
    I am not sure I will do so this time. It leaves me too pensive to really do much else for some time afterwards.

The rest of the ideas, like park beer and sausage, will definitely be investigated more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not sure if cars are of interest, but BMW's famous building is right next to the Olympic park and houses a museum and a technology centre. Nymphenburg Palace is fabulous. They do a bus tour which hits up most touristy spots and you can hop on/hop off and take your time (however, I have no idea what the situation is currently with restrictions).

Otherwise there are a lot of watch shops all around Marienhof gardens. If I recall the Wempe shop just to the left of the gardens has a great selection of German brands you don't see as frequently in the UK.

Craftsman
    A Segway tour of Munich is a great way to see all of the sites. We did one a couple of years ago, the guides are very knowledgable & took us to many things we would have otherwise missed.

Munich Surfers are also quite fun to watch. I was amazed to find Surfers in a landlocked city basically surfing a wave caused by concrete blocks dumped in the river Eisbach. They are there all year round.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Forgot about the surfing, quite therapeutic to watch with a coffee getting shut of a hangover.

There is often something on in the airport square/plaza. They have had a free surf pool there a few times I have been.

BMW museum is a good shout.

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Also beer related (not sure about the meal): https://franziskaner-weissbier.de/ex...nters/de/index

The science museum ( especially the high voltage displays) is excellent as is the museum of mountaineering/alpine museum which also has a great cafe.

Craftsman
    The centre of Munich is Marienplatz, south of the Englischer garten, a couple of stops on the U-bahn. East/west is the main shopping run. Southeast of Marienplatz is the Viktualienmarkt, lots of delicious food there. If you like science museums, the Deutsches museum is east of Marienplatz, also on the river, and just outside the old city walls. The Augustinerkeller (west of Marienplatz) sold me on Weissbier and Munich when I first went there in 1991! Skip the Hofbrauhaus as it is a bit too touristy.

Just walking around the city centre (south of E-g) and soaking up the atmosphere is great, and in the evenings, the Universität/Munchener Freiheit, very close to your hotel, is good for bars/restaurants.

Alte/Neue Pinakothek are great art galleries, and the public transport is amazing! Tram/tube/bus/local rail all well integrated.

Helles -- Munich lager - I don't drink much lager, but this stuff is good (forget Becks etc.)

Weissbier -- wheat beer -- my favourite. Originated around 1850, Schneiderweisse is the original, but all the breweries do their own light/dark/clear variants (normally slightly cloudy with added yeast)

(I liked the place so much I married a resident!)
    Last edited by in_denial; 18th November 2021 at 18:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    I think that I might avoid Specialities from the Skirt Steak-Kitchen...link...but otherwise it looks like a very good suggestion.

Go to Andechs monastery.

Great beer and excellent food.

Take the S-Bahn to Tutzing and a bus from there.

Hofbrauhaus is very touristy, but I've had a few great evenings there. You'll end up making new friends from all over the world, even if just for the evening!

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 18th November 2021 at 19:41.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    I think that I might avoid Specialities from the Skirt Steak-Kitchen...link...but otherwise it looks like a very good suggestion.
    Ha ha,

Give it a go you might like it.

Have a great trip, it’s a fantastic city and I have always found the people to be nice.

Looks like I will have to save these recommendations - Covid cases are going through the roof there, risk of some sort of lockdown re-instatement next week and the business has (probably rightly) canned the trip :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I worked for Siemens for a while and really enjoyed my time in Munich. Most of the highlights have been mentioned but liking trains I took a couple of trips, one to Salzburg and one to Tegernsee, both well worth it.

as above really, the bike tours are worth doing, and hit the tourist beer hall (HoffBrau?) too. science museum is epic.
    some nice shops there so you can get your watch fix, but i dont remember it being very cheap. Think Birkenstocks were though!