closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PRS-20LE Destro - Now Completed!

Craftsman

PRS-20LE Destro - Now Completed!

Hi All,
    I dearly love my 20-LE and use it as my 'dress watch'. The only problem is that as I only wear it in rotation, the crown is less than comfortable where it digs into the back of my hand. The question is, how easy would it be for a watch maker to flip the dial round 180 degrees so that the crown wears on the opposite side to my hand (EZM-1 like)?

Cheers,

Peter.

Re: PRS-20LE Destro?

Luckily for you the dial of a Unitas 6497/8 can be turned 180 degrees with no problem what so ever as the feets are positioned 50/50.
    Just take it to a good watchmaker and itīll be done in a few minutes. A simple thing to do if you are skilled.

Quote Originally Posted by JCJM
    Luckily for you the dial of a Unitas 6497/8 can be turned 180 degrees with no problem what so ever as the feets are positioned 50/50.
    Are you sure about that? I'm looking at the back side of a dial right now and the feet are not in line with the dial center. It's not the PRS-20 dial, but it did come off a 6497 movement. Are there different locations where the dial feet could be located perhaps?

If the feet are 180 degrees apart (and the same distance from the dial center) then I agree it would be pretty trivial to make a lefty version. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes to accomplish for someone who knows what they're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by HilltopMichael
    Quote Originally Posted by JCJM
    Are you sure about that? I'm looking at the back side of a dial right now and the feet are not in line with the dial center. It's not the PRS-20 dial, but it did come off a 6497 movement. Are there different locations where the dial feet could be located perhaps?

If the feet are 180 degrees apart (and the same distance from the dial center) then I agree it would be pretty trivial to make a lefty version. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes to accomplish for someone who knows what they're doing.
    Well, maybe the feet areīnt parallel but then there are holes on the movement to accommodate the swap. Both the 6497/8 are ok with 180 degree dial change no matter how the feet are.

Craftsman

Thanks Guys. A trip down to the watchmaker this week then...

I'll post pics once the deed is done.

Cheers,

Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by pipedreamer
    Thanks Guys. A trip down to the watchmaker this week then...

I'll post pics once the deed is done.

Cheers,

Peter.
    It will be interesting to see the result.

Craftsman

Dropped it off today. The watchmaker quoted me a fiver..! I'll take some pics next weekend when it has been collected.

Cheers,

Peter.

Be interesting to see those pictures when you get it back!

Quote Originally Posted by draz
    Be interesting to see those pictures when you get it back!
    Seconded!
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Craftsman

Now i'd say that's cheating.. But looks OK so far. Thanks for the preview!

Cheers,

Peter.

Craftsman

I'd be very interested in the result, please post pictures! I was thinking along those lines, too, but I was told the dial feet would NOT allow for such an endeavor. I'd be absolutely thrilled to see it can be done!

Guntram

Quote Originally Posted by Guntram
    I'd be very interested in the result, please post pictures! I was thinking along those lines, too, but I was told the dial feet would NOT allow for such an endeavor. I'd be absolutely thrilled to see it can be done!

Guntram
    Somewhat mixed emotions for me: the crown digging into my hand was the sole reason I let mine go :( but great to hear it can be done for the OP!

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman

Just posted to the Friday thread and realised that i never wrapped this up with a photo of the finished piece. Not up to the usual photographic standards (it's tipping down outside..), but here you go -

Another big thanks to Paul (silverhawk) for doing the work. It is now soooooo much more comfy without the crown digging in to my wrist and is now absolutely one of my favourites.

Cheers,

Peter.

Re: PRS-20LE Destro - Now Completed!

lovely work peter, as another victim of 'crown dig' i can see why you persevered.
    being a thicky it took me nearly a year to work out why i had an itchy callous on the back of my left hand when i first started wearing my first 'real' watch, an o and w mp.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.