closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Arlo and Alternatives

Blog Entries

Arlo and Alternatives

Chaps

We have had our original Arlo system for seven years now and it has served its purpose and been brilliant.

But the time has come to update (kids need a system so handing this one down) so considering the Pro 4 or Ultra 2 as a replacement. But, guessing things have moved on and if there is anything else wire free that should be considered (4 camera system required).

Any user views and thoughts from the TZ faithful would be greatly appreciated.

Ta

Pitch

Master
    My neighbour was using Arlo cameras and recently swapped to Eufy. I'm also a Eufy user and very happy with the 2C cameras.

Blog Entries
    I went for Eufy Paul…. Installed here and at at my Mums in France

Works like a charm so far

It’s USP is that it’s hardware cost only…. No monthly charges
    Last edited by Wolfie; 25th January 2022 at 21:32.

Another happy Eufy user.

2k Doorbell & 2C Pro both connected to a Homebase 2.

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    Been a long time user of Arlo and only had a couple issues but like you have considered others given the fact that my current kit is only 720p.

Not sure if it helps but Costco have a 3 camera pack on offer @ £299.89 if you’re a member

https://www.costco.co.uk/CCTV-Camera...ase-2/p/375436

B

We've had for six months, the Blink XT2 system and in all fairness, it's quite $h1te.

If there's an activation, it can take up to 30 secs or more to get a "bong" notification on your phone, by which time the visitor has moved on and although it's recorded a clip, it can take up to another minute or more to access that video clip.
    We have excellent wifi and it's wifi based but the lag in getting and retrieving the video clips is not great at all.

I'm about to invest in another system so this thread has come at the right time. What is in the Blink cams favour is a USB device plugs into the base station and is subscription free.

Does the Eufy system have this capability or am I looking at a sign up monthly/annual fee.

Can anyone advise ?

Craftsman
    Another long term Arlo user here, wouldn't change it except to upgrade a few cameras to 4K Arlo. You dont have to subscribe to any monthly plan if you dont want to. I use mine on the "free" plan just fine. I have one Arlo Go camera in the garden running on 4G, powered by solar panel, and I haven't touched it in 4 years. A great solution if you are outside of wi-fi coverage and no power available.

Arlo in Europe is owned by Verisure. Its a real security company with a privacy policy that does not involve selling or monetising your data. Some other brands dont care about such trivia and others are owned by marketing companies that make money from spying on you and selling your data. Do a google search on privacy issue for other big name brands for example.

Arlo is also now integrated into a complete home security system if you need that.

I use the Blink camera. It's been excellent never any issues, the batteries are still going strong after 2yrs. The app is good too.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I use the Blink camera. It's been excellent never any issues, the batteries are still going strong after 2yrs. The app is good too.
    I’m looking at Blink and am drawn by the long battery life as the cameras need to be placed high up and not easily accessible. However, are the -ve comments by Reggie above also your experience? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    I’m looking at Blink and am drawn by the long battery life as the cameras need to be placed high up and not easily accessible. However, are the -ve comments by Reggie above also your experience? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    There was an update in Dec 2020 which has a 6 second notification delay update.
    Overall, I'm happy with mine.

We've had an Arlo camera (wireless) and hub for a year or so - the camera battery life is abysmal, lasting no more than a week, even for new replacement batteries direct from Arlo.
    We will be changing to a wired system soon.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Blink here too and while there is some notification lag it is mainly on the outer fringes of our wifi range such as on our back gate. Otherwise excellent, cheap and easy to set up and use.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    We've had an Arlo camera (wireless) and hub for a year or so - the camera battery life is abysmal, lasting no more than a week, even for new replacement batteries direct from Arlo.
    We will be changing to a wired system soon.
    You can wire your Arlo if it's power you need. My camera on the front of the house is wired and I put a solar panel on the one overlooking my back garden. No issues.

I got this cable: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07TPLHKFB?th=1
    This panel: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KCD2MYZ

Might save you changing your whole system if you like how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    You can wire your Arlo if it's power you need. My camera on the front of the house is wired and I put a solar panel on the one overlooking my back garden. No issues.

I got this cable: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07TPLHKFB?th=1
    This panel: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KCD2MYZ

Might save you changing your whole system if you like how it works.
    Thanks for the links - I've considered wiring the camera, but I've decided that if I'm going to drill holes in walls I might as well go the whole wired NVR system.