closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it a tad windy at yours?

Blog Entries

Is it a tad windy at yours?

5 trees as far as I can see from the kitchen. I’m sure more will be down tomorrow morning.

Pretty bad here in Central Beds. Lot of stuff blown around the garden and some damage to our garage roof, but I’ve not been out to check in more detail yet for safety reasons.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Bit windy on the humber and it's only getting windier. Won't be berthing any tankers on the bouy for a few days

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Slates on my patio 

About 4 so there is trouble up there … will look later …
    Eased a bit so been for a look, wind is peeling the lead of the roof ridge and the first course of tiles are lifting/letting go.

No doubt roofers won’t be busy …

It has been dramatic down here on the coast in 1066 country today and the power has not long come back on and stayed on.

It’s suddenly all gone quiet. We have lost one fence panel (still intact so I can re use it for a bit) and one garden light that was on the fence post adjacent to the panel. Just checked the roofs and they look fine. Cross fingers they stay that way.

Blog Entries
    At least 10 trees now. Well, that are the ones I can see from the kitchen window. Too dangerous to go into the forest. And it’s dark now. Firewood supply will grow…

In Cirencester now, police blue and white tape around a substantial roof capping tile which dropped on to the pavement, would have been a disaster had it dropped on some poor soul's head.

Master
    North Devon took a bit of a battering. We lost a few roof tiles, a fence and quite a few branches. All things considered could have been so much worse.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    It's lucky that it's the time of year that we empty the veg and greenhouse out, because the six panes that make the roof are thoroughly smashed across the vegetable patch. The greenouse itself is sagging and it looks like the aluminium that holds the bolts has gone, which is impressive, apart from that no damage.

My house insurer, Halifax, have just texted me to say that they are here for me if I need any help and if I need to make a claim.

That is fairly impressive for an insurance company.

Master
    Blog Entries
    All in all bit of a damp squid here in Staffordshire. Had a fence panel blow out a couple of weeks ago, it did not blow out today.

Lost a ridge tile, it ended up across the road

Blog Entries
    The score is now: 10+ trees and one of them (an oak) on the roof of my workshop where my classics are stored. Luckily it doesn't rain. I have no idea if the tree is on top of the roof or has gone through. It was (and is) too dangerous to have a look.

All I did was warning my insurance company using their app. They gave me a 'go ahead, repair' within seconds.

The wind is dying down (relatively) to a 'normal' storm. Warning code for this area has gone down from orange to yellow. And tomorrow, we'll assess the damage. Luckily, the roof is brand-new. My local tree feller will come to help me get rid of the branches.

I just ask myself: why did I go to the woodworkers shop yesterday for a new Husqvarna chainsaw? "I want a bigger, more powerful machine!" Bad omen?

Menno

EDIT: I had to walk the dog for the night. Stayed close to the house, away from the trees. I'll take pics tomorrow to see the wreckage.
    Last edited by thieuster; 18th February 2022 at 23:37.

66% of my rear garden fence panels are down.
    I think that`s my record.
    No posts this time thankfully, they`re concrete ones and right feckers to dig out....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    Arkley in Barnet , looks lovely out there windy but the suns out
    Well a tree did come down across Wood Street by Ravenscroft Park. Though luckily no one hurt. One of our cats was in and out constantly unable to settle as on edge due to the wind. The other went f this and went to sleep upstairs.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    All in all bit of a damp squid here in Staffordshire. Had a fence panel blow out a couple of weeks ago, it did not blow out today.
    They do tend to be damp, they don’t do too well if they dry out.

Blog Entries
    The aftermath: 15+ trees are gone. Some have snapped off at 2, 3 or 4m above the ground. And sometimes one strikes luck! a bunch of trees fell over but stopped just above the roof of the workshop!

Next on my 'want' list: a branch chopper. (Is that the term in English?)

Is it a tad windy at yours?

Wish List and branch chipper. :)

Misschien ook een kettingzaag.
    Last edited by dkpw; 19th February 2022 at 08:50.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Blog Entries
    “Misschien ook een kettingzaag”

I have a good one. But, like Jaws, I need a bigger boat (chainsaw). I’m going ‘professional’ now! Away with the nifty stuff.

Wow, very lucky Menno. That’s going to be a heck of a game of jenga to make sure they remain clear of the workshop.
    We had a plane down in Grove. Luckily it was on a stick as a gate guardian to the old RAF Grove. Unfortunately they did not have “3 greens”.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Well a tree did come down across Wood Street by Ravenscroft Park. Though luckily no one hurt. One of our cats was in and out constantly unable to settle as on edge due to the wind. The other went f this and went to sleep upstairs.
    Yep! Got a lot worse a few hours after taking that pic . There were two sets of trees surgeons clearing up some big trees that had fallen on Barnet road just past the arkley pub too.

Blog Entries
    Four deaths in the Netherlands, people evacuated from their homes, lorries blown away and enormous disruption on the rail network. Eunice was one angry woman.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

My campervan was lucky

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse64 View Post
    My campervan was lucky

Very lucky and a strong fence. The root system doesn’t look that big.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    “Misschien ook een kettingzaag”

I have a good one. But, like Jaws, I need a bigger boat (chainsaw). I’m going ‘professional’ now! Away with the nifty stuff.
    Just a word of warning Menno (and to anyone else thinking of clearing up wind blown trees). Please have a very close look at how the tree is lying and why is it down before you set about it with the chainsaw. Windblown trees may be bent over under the weight of other trees or parts thereof. If you cut through a tree like that the stresses will suddenly release and the results may be quite nasty. The same can be said if you start removing the weight of a tree which is lying on top of another.

My dad was a woodsman and was clearing up wind damage in the South Downs after the storm in 1990 (he'd only just finished clearing up after '88). A mate of his was up there with him but he was a bit gung ho. He didn't "read the tree" and cut through the trunk of a tree that was stuck beneath the crown of a bigger tree. As soon as the cut was made the trunk whipped around and caught him on his hip. He was "lucky" to get away with a broken femur and smashed pelvis. I wouldn't want to see anyone here go through that.
    Last edited by Wimm; 19th February 2022 at 16:45.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    Just a word of warning Menno (and to anyone else thinking of clearing up wind blown trees). Please have a very close look at how the tree is lying and why is it down before you set about it with the chainsaw. Windblown trees may be bent over under the weight of other trees or parts thereof. If you cut through a tree like that the stresses will suddenly release and the results may be quite nasty. The same can be said if you start removing the weight of a tree which is lying on top of another.

My dad was a woodsman and was clearing up wind damage in the South Downs after the storm in 1990 (he'd only just finished clearing up after '88). A mate of his was up there with him but he was a bit gung ho. He didn't "read the tree" and cut through the trunk of a tree that was stuck beneath the crown of a bigger tree. As soon as the cut was made the trunk whipped around and caught him on his hip. He was "lucky" to get away with a broken femur and smashed pelvis. I wouldn't want to see anyone here go through that.
    I read this after a professional came round to do the 'jinga' thing. You're absolutely right; he approached every twig and branch very carefully, checking what would happen if he moved/removed the branch. Ultimately he managed to cut all branches of the 3 trees, leaving 3 trunks. He'll be back on Monday with a digger (my Kubota is too small...) to support the trunks before he's going to cut them in pieces. Until Monday, he has secured every trunk separately to 3 trees nearby, making sure the the weight (when things should start to move tonight or tomorrow) does not pull down another tree.

Finally, he opened a path to my gate that was blocked by an enormous fir. Big Stihl saw with a 65cm (or more?) blade went through the trunk like a hot knife through butter.

I was in the garden cleaning rubbish. Working with my poxy 38cm Husqvarna, filling 3x a trailer with branches, leafs etc. A great day!

Menno

Craftsman
    It was a tad windy yesterday evening, nearly got blown away feeding the sheep. However, found three trees down this morning including a sixty foot sycamore, luckily no damage caused.

A bit concerned about the caravan in our garden ,we didn't have one yesterday.