closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Flight prices - seriously?

Master

Flight prices - seriously?

I realise things in the world are a little crazy to say the least right now but trying to get my head round some pricing changes on flights in the last week or so

I did some pricing before we took a trip this week for April and as an example with BA (using Qatar) a trip to Sri Lanka was £3700 (business) for 2x adults - now it’s over £10800 for the same flights

Some other examples are Thailand has increased by 3 fold and Maldives by double?

I know a week is a long time in flight terms but is everyone leaving the country suddenly or is there something else going on that I am either too stupid or naive to realise? Also I know this is business pricing and economy has barely changed in price but that’s what’s even more strange?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn’t surprise me, probably few seats left.

Master
    Clear all cookies or go into incognito mode and look again. They are tracking and adapting pricing.

Master

Flight prices - seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Clear all cookies or go into incognito mode and look again. They are tracking and adapting pricing.
    I did do this (paranoia on my part) but made no difference - interestingly when checking Qatar and with the to and from Doha legs being BA, to Thailand the price was nearly 50% lower so looks like a BA specific issue

No overfly of Russian and Ukrainian airspace will add to fuel costs. Added ATC costs of different countries being overflown now. Those will also add costs.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    No overfly of Russian and Ukrainian airspace will add to fuel costs. Added ATC costs of different countries being overflown now. Those will also add costs.
    Absolutely but £7100 extra for flights that go nowhere near UKR/RUS is ridiculous

Master
    A regular London to Colombo flight would go near or over Ukraine, actually. I'm sure you're right in the sense a reroute alone should not add that amount of money on though. Maybe a combination of regulations being relaxed, profiteering, energy prices, war etc?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    A regular London to Colombo flight would go near or over Ukraine, actually. I'm sure you're right in the sense a reroute alone should not add that amount of money on though. Maybe a combination of regulations being relaxed, profiteering, energy prices, war etc?
    It’s a few hundred miles south over Romania/Austria so even prior to this week it shouldn’t be impacted but as you say I suspect a combination of all but interesting it does seem to be a BA specific issue (from what else I have seen since checking other airlines)

Master
    If it’s BA they will probably cancel the flight anyway - the last 3 I’ve booked have been cancelled-

Prices aside, I'm waiting for airlines to even announce flights/start selling. Accommodation booked for a couple of European holidays this year. Pre-covid there would have been 4 to 6 Saturday flights to choose from - this year only two and they're at rubbish times :boo:

Master
    I’ve just returned from a business trip to Sri Lanka. Took the direct Sri Lankan flight from LHR - CMB in business, was £2500 and very nice too. They’re also a Oneworld airline.

Can’t believe they’d be charging anything like BA….? Worth checking maybe

Master
    We managed to get a couple of premium economy seats to Bangkok last weekend cheaper than Emirates were asking for economy. I’m a member on Jack’s Flight Club which sends details of all sorts of flight offers every week, saved us about £550 each on the usual cost of the seats.

I purchased a round trip Madrid to Charlotte, going end of next month 280 quid, bargain I reckon..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I’ve just returned from a business trip to Sri Lanka. Took the direct Sri Lankan flight from LHR - CMB in business, was £2500 and very nice too. They’re also a Oneworld airline.

Can’t believe they’d be charging anything like BA….? Worth checking maybe
    We took Qatar through BA for £3800 and are here now (Sri Lanka) but this was for a new trip end of April which I didn’t book before we left and now wish I had!!!

Master
    I use a travel arranger that has saved me a lot of money, always gotten the best price and cabin option and bailed me out when flights are cancelled and he gets me home.

Invaluable to have a good travel arranger. Happy share his details if anyone need a recommendation.

Pfffttt......Third World problems eh?

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    I use a travel arranger that has saved me a lot of money, always gotten the best price and cabin option and bailed me out when flights are cancelled and he gets me home.

Invaluable to have a good travel arranger. Happy share his details if anyone need a recommendation.
    Is that a travel agent or something else?

Master
    Blog Entries
    We booked with BA to go to our sons Denver CO wedding in October last year. As it was a special occasion I treated family to Business Class.

Flights were subsequently cancelled and the best of a bad lot was to accept a credit voucher for value of fares.

On flights being released we made to rebook like for like only to find they’d gone up by 300%!!! If ever a company was ripping of pax it’s BA due to covid and making hay out of pain.

Another example of BA ripping us, the pax, a new asshole.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Is that a travel agent or something else?
    I suspect a company a bit like Reed & McKay. https://www.reedmackay.com

I used to use them, and they did absolutely everything. 24hr cover (they had advisors on nightshifts at home, and during days) -superb service.

Think I’ll stick with economy.

With the Oligarchs under the cosh I reckon private jets got a fair bit cheaper

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    We booked with BA to go to our sons Denver CO wedding in October last year. As it was a special occasion I treated family to Business Class.

Flights were subsequently cancelled and the best of a bad lot was to accept a credit voucher for value of fares.

On flights being released we made to rebook like for like only to find they’d gone up by 300%!!! If ever a company was ripping of pax it’s BA due to covid and making hay out of pain.

Another example of BA ripping us, the pax, a new asshole.

Jim
    Yep - had the same with them on a 2 for 1 business class seat deal - only offered a voucher and then of course couldn’t even get one seat for the price or the two we had previously booked - I am convinced BA have a team set up to rip off their regular flyers