closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Eek a mouse!

Eek a mouse!

I've just discovered a small furry invader in my walk-in wardrobe.

That'll explain why the sensor activated light keeps going off at night then.

Any tips for how best to persuade them to leave?

No signs of them in the kitchen or anywhere else (yet).

I had a couple last year. Mouse traps with a bit of ham or bacon worked a treat. You need to get on to it quickly before the buggers breed. Even if you catch one or two keep putting the traps down until you haven’t had anything for a week or two.

Tough love I know, but has to be done.

The alternative was on my neighbours shed roof today:

Blog Entries
    Cats.

Jack Russell terrier.

Traps.

Get rats. They'll kill or chase away the mice.

The mice won't leave of their own accord if conditions are good.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have cats which do the job but at their pace, not yours

Traps are the answer, chocolate is a great bait. As WR says, keep putting traps down until none have been caught off at least a week. Check traps regularly - live mice eat dead mice, in my experience. Dead mice start to smell quite quickly, which is not great for your wardrobe.

Plastic traps with plastic “pegs” work very well - can’t remember the exact name but Amazon sell a 3 pack for about £6 and they work really well. They come “pre baited” but 1/4 of a chocolate button works wonders

Mice are naturally inquisitive so easy to catch - rats are a whole different story.

Okay, sounds like I'd better lay down some traps!

Has anyone tried the humane traps, like this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...TJXR4VCZY&th=1

I saw the title of this thread..

I thought it was about the singer/DJ Toaster Eek A Mouse.....took me back to my youth!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIfRaPvXTdI

(sorry!)
    Last edited by valleywatch; 28th February 2022 at 23:35.

Master
    I've had a few in the garage. The cheap plastic traps from Amazon work very well and appear to be very quick.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HDVUTZA/

What I did was compress a bit of flapjack tightly into the bait cup, so the mouse has to put a bit of effort into getting it out.

I also bought an battery-powered electrocuting trap and that works fine as well. But the simple traditional ones work very well. I did take a pic of their gruesome work, but I shall refrain from posting it here.

Master
    We used to get a lot of field mice in my last house (was built on farm land). I used lethal traps but my wife wanted to use a humane trap which I duly bought. I came home after a 13hr day shift to find a rather dejected, scruffy, sweaty mess of a mouse that had probably been in the "humane" trap for rather a long time seeing as I didn't check it before I left for work that morning (in my defence it was 03:50 in the morning). When my wife seen the state of it we agreed to go back to lethal traps😁
    And yes, chocolate is the best bait.

Blog Entries
    Looking at the mice droppings in the shed, we must have a lot of them. But I live in a forest, so there's not much I can do other than preventing that they come inside the house.

Traps with peanut butter
    Cats (but not all will hunt mice... We have two. One, the 'lazy' cat hunts them fanatic. The 'active' one leaves them alone, strange...)

Lots of specially prepared traps with some sort of blue stuff inside. They love it, but it kills them from the inside, so to speak. You won't find a mouse corps.

(The good thing is that my wife is not afraid of them, so no hysterical responses etc. Spiders on the other hand...).

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    We used to get a lot of field mice in my last house (was built on farm land). I used lethal traps but my wife wanted to use a humane trap which I duly bought. I came home after a 13hr day shift to find a rather dejected, scruffy, sweaty mess of a mouse that had probably been in the "humane" trap for rather a long time seeing as I didn't check it before I left for work that morning (in my defence it was 03:50 in the morning). When my wife seen the state of it we agreed to go back to lethal traps
    And yes, chocolate is the best bait.
    They're only humane if you check them regularly! Tried them too and went back to lethal seeing the state they got into.

Craftsman
    Old fashioned ‘Little Nipper” wooden traps baited with Mars bar or Snickers.
    If you have a hardware store locally go buy a few and lay all of them. They are cheap and very effective.

If you use humane traps you then have to get rid of anything you catch and it needs to be a minimum of half a mile away. Which means keeping the trap closed while you get there.

I used to have a black tube kind of humane trap.
    I kid you not, after checking a triggered trap once and letting the mouse escape I resorted to weighing the trap to know if there was something in it.
    It was all such a faff I gave up with it and now only use little nipper traps.
    Last edited by barreti; 1st March 2022 at 09:01.

Craftsman
    I agree about the humane traps unless the mice are released from them quickly. We tried humane traps last year for about 2 weeks and unless you release the mice a long way from home they will keep coming back into the house. We reverted to old style traps which caught three mice in 2 days and ended the problem. I never found out how they were getting in.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by valleywatch View Post

I thought it was about the singer/DJ Toaster Eek A Mouse.....took me back to my youth!

(sorry!)
    Beat me to it...

(sorry!)
    Ah, takes me back too, top tune.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    Ah, takes me back too, top tune.
    Haha, quite a few on here then i guess!

(sorry!)
    yes! me too.

A bit of peanut butter and a simple humane trap did it for me on two occasions.

https://www.toolstation.com/pest-sto...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I couldn’t figure out how the where getting in the house and then found a brick dislodged by a fence that abutted the house. Once I sealed that, no more mice.

Craftsman
    Humane traps work and are err humane. Bit of peanut butter is all you'll need but do check regularly as it's probably quite stressful for them without water and trapped, although at least they've not just had their heads chopped off. Yes you do have to take them quite far away but at least they'll decide to live at one of the houses between yours and where you set them free.
    Just wash the trap out and keep them for the next furry friend to move in.

Master
    Little Nipper with peanut butter or Nutella (or the Aldi knock-off) work for me.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Agreed with all the discussion on removing them permanently, since they chew………..anything
    Nylon webbing from rucsacs
    Wiring , electrical, no problem
    Clothing, mmm nest material

Then there is the peeing

DAMHIK

Steve

May I recommend a look through the many episodes of Shawn Woods' MouseTrap Monday on YouTube.

Yes, collecting mouse traps is a thing.

My advice would be to buy double the mouse traps you think you need. They don't travel alone.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

I saw the title of this thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Beat me to it...
    Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    yes! me too.
    Me too.
    I remember seeing him one night in Bristol on the same ticket as Yellowman and Bim Sherman*
    (* although it might actually have been Lee Perry or Sly&Robbie headlining - for reasons I don't need to go into some of my memories of who I saw on what night in which club are a bit vague)

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Me too.
    I remember seeing him one night in Bristol on the same ticket as Yellowman and Bim Sherman*
    (* although it might actually have been Lee Perry or Sly&Robbie headlining - for reasons I don't need to go into some of my memories of who I saw on what night in which club are a bit vague)
    Top night out by the sounds. I think I first heard Mr Mouse on Mr Peel's show. Around the same time aStaff Sargeant Ivan Ta Wiwi had a tune played but I am dammed if I can turn that one up.

Kill em, Kill em all!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app