closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: "Automatic" written on dials

"Automatic" written on dials

Find it really odd that this still happens in seemingly 90% of cases. It's boasting about a technology which was new to the mass market what, 60 years ago? There's really been nothing special or different about it since the majority of watches were manual winding but it persists even amongst the grandest brands. It sort of reminds me of when car-makers used to write "Turbo" or "Injection" on the back of cars because it was special. Even they stopped!

Craftsman
    Or stating the brand endlessly around the rehaut...

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Distinguishes between manual wind / automatic / solar / quartz, I guess...............

I'm sure you still get B&Bs which advertise "Colour" TV in rooms, though......

I used to think there was something special about the words ‘oyster perpetual’ but really it means ‘automatic with a screw down caseback and crown’ doesn’t it? - which is hardly unusual in 2022 (or 50 years ago in 1972 for that matter). A bit like having ‘internal combustion engine with lights and windscreen wipers’ on the boot of the car! I’m sure to the average luxury watch buyer ‘oyster perpetual’ sounds magical and exclusive, in reality I’m reminded of pommes frites in a posh restaurant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Always felt it feels so out of place on the APs when they have AUTOMATIC on the dial. I think they felt that way too !

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I used to think there was something special about the words ‘oyster perpetual’ but really it means ‘automatic with a screw down caseback and crown’ doesn’t it? - which is hardly unusual in 2022 (or 50 years ago in 1972 for that matter). A bit like having ‘internal combustion engine with lights and windscreen wipers’ on the boot of the car! I’m sure to the average luxury watch buyer ‘oyster perpetual’ sounds magical and exclusive, in reality I’m reminded of pommes frites in a posh restaurant
    I think there is something a bit special - it reminds people that the Oyster was one of the first fully screw down waterproof wristwatch cases, while perpetual doesn't actually refer to it being automatic, it refers to the winding action being a fully rotary automatic (which Rolex developed first) rather than a bumper automatic which was designed by Harwood and brought to a mass market by Fortis. So yes, it is referencing two ways in which Rolex were at the cutting edge in the thirties and forties. I think that's worth celebrating.

However, it is interesting to note that the other watches to benefit from Rolex's original system were Tudor, which also have the Oyster cases, and yet they show this off thus (to offer a TOUPOS for Rajen):

Craftsman
    I've thought the same thing, I guess the intent is to say "not quartz".

Could say mechanical but I guess automatic has the momentum of already being on dials from when it was a distinctive feature.

Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app

Interesting, I’d never really thought about it.

As a rule it I’m ok with it, I even quite like the German “Automatik” on my Sinn.

The French version of Automatic on this JLC triggers hate as it ruins the watch for me.

Speaking of text on a dial, best not ask me what I think of Flieger!

Dave

Doesn’t bother me much.

Oddly, I really don’t like having the watch model’s name written on the dial. A brand name (or logo) is fine but whenever I see a Pelagos, I think: Why do I need to be told it’s a Pelagos?

Grand Master
    Its convention, has been for many years, it denotes that the watch has automatic winding. Can`t see an issue, mechanical and-wound watches still exist and therefore it makes sense to differentiate. The analogy with car badging isn`t relevant.

Blog Entries
    I quite like it.

“ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

"Quartz" is way worse. I sold my G10 years ago because I couldn't bear looking at that every day.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    "Quartz" is way worse. I sold my G10 years ago because I couldn't bear looking at that every day.
    Yep, I agree with that!!

I'm the opposite with "QUARTZ". I love wearing my CWC diver at work events at which 90% of men are wearing an Omega or a Rolex. To them it screams "cheap", and I love the fact that they don't know any better. The opposite of showing off.

Quote Originally Posted by FrontierGibberish View Post
    I'm the opposite with "QUARTZ". I love wearing my CWC diver at work events at which 90% of men are wearing an Omega or a Rolex. To them it screams "cheap", and I love the fact that they don't know any better. The opposite of showing off.
    I’m definitely aligned to that logic!

Back in the day Quartz was new, high technology and probably a lot more more expensive so a lot of watches of the period proudly proclaimed QUARTZ on the dial.

Now the roles are reversed with quartz often alluding to cheapness and Automatics often being more expensive so it's AUTOMATIC on the dial now.

Mad isn't it?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Grand Master
    Can we get black tippex.....that would fix it.We could open up for eg a Rolex and tippex out any wording we dont like.I cant,dont know how to!!.

Maybe someone could photoshop how one could look.

I cant,I dont know how to!.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 3rd March 2022 at 16:07.

The general current viewpoint erroneously equates "automatic" with "mechanical". They say "Automatic vs Quartz". I am actually surprised that very few mechanical watch buyers actually buy "manuals". Less than 5%. So I reckon that when it currently says "Automatic" on the dial it is to tell you that it is mechanical.
    Every watch a story.

A teacher at school I work in wears a Tudor (I think it's a Ranger?) and we often talk watches. Recently he mentioned that he winds it every morning. I pointed out the text on the dial and said he doesn't have to; in fact, he's risking the long term health of the crown threads. It was a revelation to him.

So even when a watch says it on the dial don't assume that people read it or understand what it means.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    This is still a form of showing off.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    This is still a form of showing off.
    Yes, but only to myself.

Blog Entries
    Car manufacturers have been playing the same game for years...

... & it's getting worse

...& some improvise

z
    Last edited by zelig; 3rd March 2022 at 20:28.

Car manufacturers did it for a phase...........

Remember "disc brakes" sticker? (a warning that the car might stop quicker than you)

Some kind of reverse snobbery!
    I am easy bothered about what someone thinks of my watch or why I am wearing it.
    Automatic on the dial is a non issue.

Journeyman
    I feel like it's a really unnecessary additional to AP Royal Oaks such as 15300ST, they would look so much cleaner and neater with the removal of the "AUTOMATIC" above the 6 o clock hour marker

It sort of reminds me of when car-makers used to write "Turbo" or "Injection" on the back of cars because it was special. Even they stopped!
    I think that you need to look at the back of a few cars again, they haven't stopped. Porsche still use 'turbo' on a regular basis, to the point where some of their electric cars say 'turbo'. Apparently Porsche are now applying the word 'turbo' as if it's a higher spec vehicle rather than it having a turbo on the engine.

Yeah, that's an odd one.
    I would tend to interpret it more as a label of what's in it, rather than a boast of technology.

And yes, for some reason I like to see automatic on a dial, but not quartz.

My Aerospace says "Aerospace" - but I know it means quartz :)

I prefer the former.

Betterer..

Quote Originally Posted by John Wall View Post
    Betterer..
    Sacrilege…

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Sacrilege…
    Oh I agree John,
    just a doodle for P9

Craftsman
    It sort of reminds me of when car-makers used to write "Turbo" or "Injection" on the back of cars because it was special. Even they stopped!
    Someone forgot to send Porsche the memo.

Master
    Find it really odd that this still happens in seemingly 90% of cases. It's boasting about a technology which was new to the mass market what, 60 years ago? There's really been nothing special or different about it since the majority of watches were manual winding but it persists even amongst the grandest brands. It sort of reminds me of when car-makers used to write "Turbo" or "Injection" on the back of cars because it was special. Even they stopped!
    Since most watches are battery-powered, actually I think automatic watches are a bit niche.

At the same time I quite like to see QUARTZ on a dial for nostalgic reasons.

One could easily live without the hours being marked numerically ,I imagine. I rarely have to check what sort of O Clock it is ,

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wall View Post
    Betterer..
    I always thought somehow it would be better without the QUARTZ - but it’s not. I’ll stick with the QUARTZ

I's have thought a fairer car analogy would be putting a "D" for Diesel on the back as part of the badging - lets the owner and others know what's inside, and in the case of the watch whether it needs manual winding or not (as opposed to "don't put petrol in this you knacker " )

I've read QUARTZ is on the dial of the CWC watches because the MOD DEF STAN required it be printed on the dial. Can't find a reference now though.

Shouldn’t quartz watches say battery (not quartz) on the dial? That’s what powers them.

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Car manufacturers have been playing the same game for years...

Forget the watches for a moment, that's a Citroen CX Prestige (Limousine) and a Renault Avantime.

Lovely.

I do love on the CX that the model designation looks to be longer than the number plate

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    Doesn’t bother me much.

Oddly, I really don’t like having the watch model’s name written on the dial. A brand name (or logo) is fine but whenever I see a Pelagos, I think: Why do I need to be told it’s a Pelagos?
    Indeed I think there’s just altogether too much type on the Pelagos dial