closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: we all hate Rolex price threads BUT ffs when will it end now biggest month increase

I think one would have to be a special kind of idiot to equate current Rolex madness with the Tulip mania.
    A company that has been around for a long time and that has always produced desirable watches and many of whose older watches have always commanded a premium. There is certainly a speculative element to the current Rolex situations and is not going to last forever. It has defied several multiple predictions of downturn and continues to do so.
    Ofcourse prices may deflate at some point but no one can say when and even when they do, it is not as if the watches are going to become worth pennies. The company has been a significant player in the market since several decades and is not an overnight phenomenon. They have always been regarded as a safe ‘investment’ way before the current madness.
    Any correction whenever it happens ( some would probably enjoy it more if it is called a ‘bursting of the bubble’ ) is not going to decimate the prices.

we all hate Rolex price threads BUT ffs when will it end now biggest month increase

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I think one would have to be a special kind of idiot to equate current Rolex madness with the Tulip mania.
    A company that has been around for a long time and that has always produced desirable watches and many of whose older watches have always commanded a premium. There is certainly a speculative element to the current Rolex situations and is not going to last forever. It has defied several multiple predictions of downturn and continues to do so.
    Ofcourse prices may deflate at some point but no one can say when and even when they do, it is not as if the watches are going to become worth pennies. The company has been a significant player in the market since several decades and is not an overnight phenomenon. They have always been regarded as a safe ‘investment’ way before the current madness.
    Any correction whenever it happens ( some would probably enjoy it more if it is called a ‘bursting of the bubble’ ) is not going to decimate the prices.
    It takes an even more special kind of idiot to justify paying £22,000 for a mass market watch still in production retailing at £4,659 because it’s got a ‘Tiffany Blue’ dial - whilst the same watch from the same retailer but with a silver dial is ‘only’ worth £7,500.
    I can’t see any signs of a hyped up bubble there, no sir that’s perfectly rational.
    You really must drop a line to Rolex HQ and let them know just how idiotic you think them to be in so dramatically underpricing their watches and thereby depriving their charitable foundation of much needed funds which could be helping good works - I’m sure that they will be grateful for the insight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by adg31; 5th March 2022 at 17:58.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Your whole post contradicts your opening gambit

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    Doesn’t he always

How? The post says he expects prices might decline at some point but the market won’t ‘burst’ like tulip mania.

- - - Updated - - -

How? The post says he expects prices might decline at some point but the market won’t ‘burst’ like tulip mania.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    "We find that whole communities suddenly fix their minds upon one object, and go mad in its pursuit; that millions of people become simultaneously impressed with one delusion, and run after it, till their attention is caught by some new folly more captivating than the first."
    I wonder what he'd have to say about such thing's as rolex, social media and crypto currencies among others, if he were still around.
    Last edited by Passenger; 5th March 2022 at 19:47.

Probably too complicated for you:-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    lol
    Pushing the envelope a bit surely.

Journeyman
    This is borderline obscene ha

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Got to love social media when people are writing investment reports for Cellini and the YMII as future classic’s with upside

Even dd40 prices are going crazy. £43000 for 228238 dd40 on Chrono 24.

Wow,
    116660 at 10K used
    Cameron version 15-16k
    and the 126600 around 14k

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Even dd40 prices are going crazy. £43000 for 228238 dd40 on Chrono 24.
    The madness is even stronger in rose.

Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    Got to love social media when people are writing investment reports for Cellini and the YMII as future classic’s with upside

For a Cellini? The watch a few years ago they wouldn’t touch with their worst enemies barge pole. The watch where when someone once asked if they were worth buying got the response “You May as well take your money and set fire to it”

Master
    I just cant see the reason for all this noise on Rolex prices. If you think that their prices are too high, just walk away and forget about them, it's as simple as that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    The madness is even stronger in rose.

Much worse on the green anniversary dial and rose gold
    So many for sale I don’t think anyone keeps them
    Offered for sale to me at the Rolex boutique as a walk in 18mts ago
    Not a chance now

It's a watch forum Mick, folks are going to discuss watches, brands, prices etc and like'em or not Rolex are ubiquitous.

There's a couple of threads downstairs that might perhaps use your insights buddy, if you fancy a change of scene.
    Last edited by Passenger; 8th March 2022 at 14:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    The BBC reports that "It has also been reported that yachts belonging to five other Russian billionaires were heading to the Maldives, regarded as a safe home because it does not have an extradition treaty with the US."

Surely an easy job for special forces to sink them? No need for torpedoes, a couple of well-placed mines would do it.

it's strange that the West continues to play into Putin's hands by attacking these expat oligarchs.

This concentration on them is just a deflection away from the real issue of the funding of Russia by the EU.

Why would Putin give a flying f... about these oligarchs?

Why would he be bothered about some wealthy expat Russians having their yachts or properties seized or their accounts frozen? He knows they won’t make a fuss, not whilst he has the full resources of the Russian secret services at his command, services that can strike anyone, anywhere.

In fact he certainly approves, couldn't be a better policy for him. Just makes it more likely that this Russian money gets invested in Russia in future instead of the West........... "That is what you get by investing your money in the perfidious West, they just come along and steal it. Hey Roman, instead of investing billions in a London football team, generating wealth and economic activity for that city, if you are desperate to own a football club, buy a Russian club and invest your money there."

The West idiotically helping Putin instead of hindering him.

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Much worse on the green anniversary dial and rose gold
    So many for sale I don’t think anyone keeps them
    Offered for sale to me at the Rolex boutique as a walk in 18mts ago
    Not a chance now
    I certainly wouldn’t go near one at grey prices… and also certainly don’t agree mine is worth anywhere near what C24 states.

I’m quite sure if I wanted to I could sell at a healthy profit, but what’s the point? Unless you’re cashing in, what do you replace it with.?

Anyway, all a moot point… currently

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    I’m quite sure if I wanted to I could sell at a healthy profit, but what’s the point? Unless you’re cashing in, what do you replace it with.?
    Exactly the issue.
    Been tempted to go mental and get a nice car a few times but I’d rather the watches.

Listing the 11K retail price below the 50K asking price makes it even better.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 50kopek View Post
    Listing the 11K retail price below the 50K asking price makes it even better.
    For me that is false advertising.

The 116500 LN did not retail for £11,600 in 2020

The Kermit is a relative bargain when compared to the Hulk.

Simple date Submariners listing between 14-15k. Getting close to x2 list!

Massive crash please. Everything to 20% below RRP.

Great looking at your collection in Chrono 24 but really frustrating when you can’t buy any.

I think my main gripe is that the pricing/demand/supply has changed this from horology and a enthusiast’s hobby, to the preserve of the wealthy and speculators. I find it, and the new releases, tedious. It won’t bother Rolex, but my money is going elsewhere.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Massive crash please. Everything to 20% below RRP.

Great looking at your collection in Chrono 24 but really frustrating when you can’t buy any.
    I'm not sure there will be unless the whole world economy realigns in some way. Vast amounts of money printing combined with emerging middle classes (and above) around the world, has created a huge global class of high net worth individuals. Unless production increases dramatically or fashions change, the nice watches belong to them now. Same watch, new price. Some of the more extreme examples are just noise, but I'm not expecting things to go back to how they were unless the rest of the world becomes less polarised, and I'm not seeing any signs of that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    I think my main gripe is that the pricing/demand/supply has changed this from horology and a enthusiast’s hobby, to the preserve of the wealthy and speculators. I find it, and the new releases, tedious. It won’t bother Rolex, but my money is going elsewhere.
    It's impossible to define an enthusiast, it can range from someone who has worn the same watch for years down to someone who stashes a hoard of them away in a safe and gets pleasure just looking at them.

You are no more an enthusiast than anyone else who owns a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    It's impossible to define an enthusiast, it can range from someone who has worn the same watch for years down to someone who stashes a hoard of them away in a safe and gets pleasure just looking at them.

You are no more an enthusiast than anyone else who owns a watch.
    Clearly missed the point.

I'm not sure there will be unless the whole world economy realigns in some way. Vast amounts of money printing combined with emerging middle classes (and above) around the world, has created a huge global class of high net worth individuals. Unless production increases dramatically or fashions change, the nice watches belong to them now. Same watch, new price. Some of the more extreme examples are just noise, but I'm not expecting things to go back to how they were unless the rest of the world becomes less polarised, and I'm not seeing any signs of that.
    I know, I’m dreaming and it’s unlikely to happen, just another new normal like so many other things.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    Clearly missed the point.
    OK what is the point?

Hmmm this business with Russia and the Ukraine has been described as tectonic by some commentators and I'm not sure the vast amounts of printing funny money really creates sustainable economic activity/ wealth, as much as it does create new bubbles as well as feed's existing bubbles...IF the tide ever goes out we'll see how durable/ lasting this huge global class of high net worth individuals really is...Heck taking a snapshot of the UK I read yesterday how a third of working households were already living beyond their means even before covid struck, hopefully plenty of households have salted away some of that free Covid support money over the last couple of years as inflations only going one way. The gini index, not the only benchmark I realise, nevertheless suggests the greatest wealth is increasingly in the hands of a smaller number, rather than more people getting a bigger share of the pie.
    I'm happy if more people 'feel' wealthy I'm just not convinced most aren't confusing debt based consumption for actual 'wealth', ie real assets, investments, cash etc because things can change very quickly.
    Last edited by Passenger; 10th March 2022 at 17:19.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    … I'm not sure the vast amounts of printing funny money really creates sustainable economic activity/ wealth, as much as it does create new bubbles as well as feed's existing bubbles...
    Hard to say, but while it creates inflation it also acts as a transfer of wealth to those who already have it. The series on iPlayer I mentioned earlier (the decade the rich won) seemed to give that impression anyway. I see this in London, where neighbourhoods that were merely ‘nice’ and when I was growing up are now globalised high luxury. People have been expecting property to crash for decades but it hasn’t happened, at least not yet. The houses in these neighbourhoods used to be attainable to the same people who used to be able to save up for a decent watch. I’m not sure that genie is going back in the bottle.

Hard to say, but while it creates inflation it also acts as a transfer of wealth to those who already have it. The series on iPlayer I mentioned earlier (the decade the rich won) seemed to give that impression anyway. I see this in London, where neighbourhoods that were merely ‘nice’ and when I was growing up are now globalised high luxury. People have been expecting property to crash for decades but it hasn’t happened, at least not yet. The houses in these neighbourhoods used to be attainable to the same people who used to be able to save up for a decent watch. I’m not sure that genie is going back in the bottle.
    I agree with you about London's astonishing but ultimately defeating HP growth,...the 'frontliners' upon whom the great mass of society depends are priced out of the capital...nevertheless that London is the big anomoly for a bunch of reasons, economically it has strength in both depth and breadth and thus imho will be last to feel the pinch...Also whilst it's great news if your house grows in price, it's a kind of hypothetical until you can cash out, realise the gain, even then you still need to live somewhere... but I do believe a pinch for many could well be coming this year and next. The prices rises we're all currently experiencing are the beginning, the folks on incomes in the 30k to 50k range are I think in for a shock, a considerable swathe of people who previously felt comfortably off will perceive quite a change. For the folk on just about around or below average salaries it's going to be very tough.
    I hope I'm wrong.

Apologies for straying off topic.
    Last edited by Passenger; 10th March 2022 at 19:49.

Journeyman
    Sorry to keep it off topic, but we’ve been running through some impact forecasting this week and there are some pretty tricky issues heading our way this year, especially around food price inflation. China has downgraded its harvest forecasts, South America is having a tough time with drought and farmers cutting back planting as they can’t afford fertiliser - which may top £1300/tonne this year compared with £275/tonne last year, Australia is flooded, China will aggressively enter the commodity grain market…and so on and on. Add to this the impact of the Ulkraine and sanctions on Russia and high gas and fuel prices across the agri sector…..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JIG67 View Post
    Sorry to keep it off topic, but we’ve been running through some impact forecasting this week and there are some pretty tricky issues heading our way this year, especially around food price inflation. China has downgraded its harvest forecasts, South America is having a tough time with drought and farmers cutting back planting as they can’t afford fertiliser - which may top £1300/tonne this year compared with £275/tonne last year, Australia is flooded, China will aggressively enter the commodity grain market…and so on and on. Add to this the impact of the Ulkraine and sanctions on Russia and high gas and fuel prices across the agri sector…..
    Was waiting for the part where you say, but the good news is…!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Was waiting for the part where you say, but the good news is…!
    ….the clocks go forward in a couple of weeks…sorry, it’s all I’ve got.

I do believe a pinch for many could well be coming this year and next. The prices rises we're all currently experiencing are the beginning, the folks on incomes in the 30k to 50k range are I think in for a shock
    Completely agree.

A lot of those people in that income band will have a big mortgage, leased car on the drive a couple of credit cards. There are also the kind of people who will have been caught up in the hype, purchased a high value watch on some form of credit, but will desperately be trying to move it on when the bills start coming in and mounting up.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JIG67 View Post
    ….the clocks go forward in a couple of weeks…sorry, it’s all I’ve got.
    I’ll take that. 👍

Completely agree.

A lot of those people in that income band will have a big mortgage, leased car on the drive a couple of credit cards. There are also the kind of people who will have been caught up in the hype, purchased a high value watch on some form of credit, but will desperately be trying to move it on when the bills start coming in and mounting up.
    I'm not wishing it, but it does seem almost inevitable...We were at a friends for Birthday brunch in Cartagena today, we brought along another Brit expat/ immigrant like ourselves, older lady than ourselves who we befriended during covid... according to her, this from her grown family members in GB... a tank of petrol is already 95 something quid... there'll be folks surrendering their cars, it'll only get worse I imagine...much of the UK's consumer based economy depends on people driving places to go and do stuff, indoors, quite expensively, this before more fuel/ food increases and you guys cost of living is already toppy imho, ''Treasure Island'' etc.
    Last edited by Passenger; 10th March 2022 at 23:04.

Master
    I'm not wishing it, but it does seem almost inevitable...We were at a friends for Birthday brunch in Cartagena today, we brought along another Brit expat/ immigrant like ourselves, older lady than ourselves who we befriended during covid... according to her, this from her grown family members in GB... a tank of petrol is already 95 something quid... there'll be folks surrendering their cars, it'll only get worse I imagine...much of the UK's consumer based economy depends on people driving places to go and do stuff, indoors, quite expensively, this before more fuel/ food increases and you guys cost of living is already toppy imho, ''Treasure Island'' etc.
    High fuel,food and energy costs aren't going to be confined to the UK.
    All of Europe will be in the same boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    High fuel,food and energy costs aren't going to be confined to the UK.
    All of Europe will be in the same boat.
    Agreed Hood, whole world even, implicit in earlier post 'the price rises we are all currently experiencing...' whether being part of a giant bloc Vs lone operator is in any way advantageous, we will discover.
    Last edited by Passenger; 11th March 2022 at 08:07.

Master
    The people who can splash out on a Rolex are likely to be seriously well off to ride through a couple of years of inflation.

What you may get is a lot of distress sales and tacky as it sounds, some people will take advantage of that. It will still be a balanced market.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The people who can splash out on a Rolex are likely to be seriously well off to ride through a couple of years of inflation.

What you may get is a lot of distress sales and tacky as it sounds, some people will take advantage of that. It will still be a balanced market.

Swap rolex with Patek, Vacheron, AP....

The average rolex owner is not seriously well off

Master
    Swap rolex with Patek, Vacheron, AP....

Yes and they will be easy pickings for the well off, that's my point. Inflation means it makes sense to buy shiney goodies but you also have to eat. The well can afford to do both, the less well off can't.

What we will get is Rolex watches ending up in the ownership of the more well off.

Master
    I've certainly taken my eye off the ball when it comes to Rolex prices. It's a shame really as I'd have liked to have added to my small collection but they're now becoming more than I'm comfortable paying if I'm honest.
    Seriously thinking about selling what I have now.

Agreed, I imagine a lot of people that have bought a Rolex at the inflated prices over the past few years are anything but well off.

Many will be middle income earners who have taken advantage of cheap credit to keep up with the Jones!

Master
    Agreed, I imagine a lot of people that have bought a Rolex at the inflated prices over the past few years are anything but well off.

Many will be middle income earners who have taken advantage of cheap credit to keep up with the Jones!
    I’m not so sure, I’d imagine most people who are willing to pay way over the odds to avoid a waiting list have money to burn. To use credit for that would be insane. More likely average earners would just buy another brand who actually have watches in their showrooms, there are plenty to choose from.