closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Selling two to buy one, is it worth it?

Grand Master

Selling two to buy one, is it worth it?

I've started looking at watches like the AP ROO and the Daytona and the horrible thought enters my mind of being able to raise funds by selling the PAM and the LV, so has anyone else done something like this or should i just chill out for a while, start saving and wait for all the financial boys in London to start selling their APs and Daytonas for a couple of hundred quid :D

Re: Selling two to buy one, is it worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977
    I've started looking at watches like the AP ROO and the Daytona and the horrible thought enters my mind of being able to raise funds by selling the PAM and the LV, so has anyone else done something like this or should i just chill out for a while, start saving and wait for all the financial boys in London to start selling their APs and Daytonas for a couple of hundred quid :D
    Did that a while ago when I bought the Daytona. Seemed like a big decision to go down to one watch, but when I got rid of the Daytona I got what I apid for it and replaced it with 2 watches for no outlay :) .
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Grand Master

The Daytonas a funny one, i'm not 100% convinced, i don't dislike it, just the fact it has no date on it which is something i use quite a bit, the AP again might be a bit of a weird one so i'm not too convinced about this idea but thought i'd see how many on here have done something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Onkel C View Post
    I sold these:

To fund this:

and didn't look back once. It depends on how much you appreciate your current collection/are looking forward to your grail IMHO.

Master

sold four perefct b&p best in the world type sets to buy the milsub ( cream dial, orange hand, DRSD and a redsub) never regretted it.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jedly1
    sold four perefct b&p best in the world type sets to buy the milsub ( cream dial, orange hand, DRSD and a redsub) never regretted it.

That's a slightly different league to my idea :D

So, i should start looking for ROOs or Daytonas then!

I do it from time to time, having things i don't use is a pet hate and every once in a while i throw the head up and have a clear out and start fresh or go down to a select few or a single item.
    If your already thinking about it then your half way there.

Please dont take this as anythign other than it is meant - but IMO If you really need to ask then the watch your trading them for is probbaly not worth it - only time woudl tell if it was.

However if deep down you know how much you want the new watch - then it probably is - I have made similar choices and never regretted them - sure some of the watch I have chopped to get the ones I want are now worth considerbaly more - but I still prefert he watch I have.

I've had a number of Rolex Cosmos and everytime I've been suckered back in with the hype and everytime I've traded them on when I don't liek the look on my wrist - I've never used stop watch and prefer a more fuctional watch.
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic
    Please dont take this as anythign other than it is meant - but IMO If you really need to ask then the watch your trading them for is probbaly not worth it - only time woudl tell if it was.

However if deep down you know how much you want the new watch - then it probably is - I have made similar choices and never regretted them - sure some of the watch I have chopped to get the ones I want are now worth considerbaly more - but I still prefert he watch I have.

I've had a number of Rolex Cosmos and everytime I've been suckered back in with the hype and everytime I've traded them on when I don't liek the look on my wrist - I've never used stop watch and prefer a more fuctional watch.

So you're saying what ROO should i look for :D

Craftsman

Yup, I got rid of a very nice PO and a Doxa to fund a 'lex gmt - no issues or regrets.

Willie

Craftsman

It depends how much you wear them. If they see a lot of wrist time and you really like them, I would think twice. If you have some other favorite and they sit in your drawer, I would sell them in a heartbeat.

Grand Master

I love the Panerai, the Rolex doesn't really get much wrist time though, i just thought it might be worth getting a one watch does all, the Daytona has grown on me lately but then again so has about another 10 different watches :D

Craftsman

I love the Panerai, the Rolex doesn't really get much wrist time though, i just thought it might be worth getting a one watch does all, the Daytona has grown on me lately but then again so has about another 10 different watches :D
    I can't see myself having only one watch, it would be boring to use always the same watch! That would lead only to buying more watches :lol:

Grand Master

It would only be one watch until i buy another :lol:

Craftsman

Thinking along the same lines myself - might soon be looking to trade 3 for 1. The way I look at it if I'm not happy with it I can always do the whole thing in reverse :lol: I'm starting to think that it's the 'ins and outs' that makes this whole thing so interesting.

Craftsman

ABSOLUTELY WORTH IT! I'm now down to two watches from selling everything else (well I have a few small dollar plastic quartz watches that are great, but I'm not counting those). Moving down to one watch you really love to wear of a high quality is the path I followed (depending on how you feel about Rolex).

On the other hand, first make sure that the watch you are looking to move to is REALLY a watch you'd rather have than what you already have. PAMS and LVs are great watches so moving from them to something else may not be your best move unless you know what you really want. I've owned Daytonas and despite how highly others think of them, they didn't turn out to be right for me. On the other hand, I love my Deepsea, which most people can't stand. Be sure you are getting what YOU want.

Grand Master

Over the last week i've warmed to the Daytona, but not 100% due to the date not being a function, i'm just amazed that nobody is saying it's the dream watch, maybe i was right and now i'm wrong :D

Master
    Blog Entries

Over the last week i've warmed to the Daytona, but not 100% due to the date not being a function, i'm just amazed that nobody is saying it's the dream watch, maybe i was right and now i'm wrong :D

As you know, i have a Daytona. I've owned numerous brands over the years, never an AP or PP though for example, as i generally don't like them, irrispective of price. I've also owned numerous Rolex pieces and none get within a fraction of the way a Daytona feels. The action of the pushers and crown is simply sublime. It gives a feeling of real quality and care and attention to detail. Much as i liked the IWC3717 i had, the pushers action, by comparison was frankly crude. You had one of these??

As you equally know, i've developed a strong liking for Panerai and the collection is currently modest but growing. Much as i like them, the nearest i've got so far is the recently acquired PAM 212, the pushers are firm but still soft. It still has a way to go, to get anywhere near the feel of the Daytona though. To help you decide, if you haven't already, i would visit a good dealer and have a play.

Date, or lack of! If you can't remember what the date is, having looked in your diary once first thing in the morning, i'd suggest you have more to worry about than needing a date dislplay watch for that purpose :lol:

My view is simple. If you've got an itch, scratch it. In respect of watches you can always re-buy whatever you may sell, if you ultimately decide you don't like the Daytona. That said, personally i'd be very surprised if you didn't like one of Rolex finest pieces.

Grand Master

Ah, i may have a trip through to London to see what the Daytonas are like then.

Grand Master

If it floats your boat then go for it, but personally I don't like either the Daytona or any AP! But I guess if it does not work out you should be able to go back to what you had with little or no financial loss.
    /vince ..

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by VinceR
    If it floats your boat then go for it, but personally I don't like either the Daytona or any AP! But I guess if it does not work out you should be able to go back to what you had with little or no financial loss.

Yeah, unfortunately it would be a bit of a hunt to get the PAM again, i'm not too fussed about the Rolex though.

I do like the daytona - but have never kept one for that long - couple of years at most. They are a classic watch - look good, recognisable - highly tradable and if you don't liek it you coudl probably go back to what you had - or something else you liek - not many watches you could do that with without taking a hit - personally - i's go for the Rolex - all things ebign equal - it's my favorite watch brand - for a multitude of reasons.

:)
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman

Daytona is the highest sport models of Rolex. Like many said it is recognized easily, so you are buying status. And the chrono, forget it, I bet 90% of the Daytona owners never or seldom use the chrono! Then again the AP is a chrono too!

But did anyone mention about the power reserve of the Daytona? You can take it off on Fri nite and wear it on Mon morning and you are still right on time! Cos it has a 72 hours power reserve! :wink:

For the selling 2 to get one watch, I am in the same boat right now too! I do not know what to do too! Of course, not the same targets or sales as you. :roll:

Mate I think you need to trade up to a 44mm PAM, maybe a 233 if you are trading two watches heck maybe even want to consider a Hublot :shock: