closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Barbour relaxing

Blog Entries

Barbour relaxing

Hi, I have a Barbour that I'm thinking about rewaxing, do I try myself or send to Barbour?

Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    Hi, I have a Barbour that I'm thinking about rewaxing, do I try myself or send to Barbour?
    Barbour, used them last summer and it’s less mess and fuss at a reasonable cost than doing it yourself, although doing it yourself is easy if you heat the wax and have the mrs hair dryer on hand.

Journeyman
    I did mine and my wife’s myself, wasn’t difficult, didn’t take long and I achieved a decent finish. I used the proper Barbour wax and I think I’ve still got some left if they need doing again. Keep the wax warm and use a hairdryer to smooth it in and you’ll be fine. If you make a mess of it (which I’m sure you won’t) you can always send it to them to make it good again 👍🏻

Master
    It's pretty straight forward. I've done it twice and I was definitely better the second time. On both occasions I applied too much, but that is easy to correct. It does however take time and as Sinnlover stated a hair drier is a must.

Being doing ours for many years, tips are as above and hang the re-treated garment somewhere warm overnight, e.g. airing cupboard with hot water tank in it.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Relaxing…

In the gentleman's way? It'll make you blind.

If it's rewaxing you mean, then Barbour do it properly for not much money. That said, I had a Barbour jacket done but couldn't stand the greasy feeling or smell so sold it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    In the gentleman's way? It'll make you blind.
    I assumed he meant amyl nitrate, rather than masturbation.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I did my own.

Do it in summer for next season.
    Use the Barbour wax ( keep
    The tin warm in a pan of hot water)

Use a hairdryer to even out the finish.

Hang for a bit to settle away from other clothes.

Done it myself 3 or 4 times.
    Put jacket in an old pillow case and tumble dry for 10 minutes to warm the fabric. Have the tin of wax melted in a saucepan of water and apply with a sponge working on sections at a time.

When waxed, put on a hanger and hang outside as you go over it with the hairdryer and a cloth to finish off.

Whenever mine need re-waxing they usually have some form of wear and tear - a fraying cuff or a hole etc - so I send them back to the mothership and the whole service works out as fairly reasonably priced. My wife’s jacket needed a new sleeve and even that didn’t cost much. You either can’t see the repair or it’s done in such a way as to add a bit of character!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A quick and easy solution is nikwax spray. They even do a green tinged version for if your jacket is olive or sage.
    Lay the jacket flat, spray on, wipe with a damp sponge, turn the jacket over and repeat. Hang it up for a few hours and voila.
    It doesn't make the jacket look like new again and will need redoing sooner than a proper rewax, but it's far quicker, easier, cheaper, and doesn't leave the jacket greasy for several weeks. Very slight metallic whiff to it, but not unpleasant imo.

Blog Entries
    Do it yourself. Personally, I love the smell of a freshly waxed Barbour coat.

Blog Entries
    Your advice has been invaluable as ever, I think I will send it back to them, there's a small amount of fraying on the cuffs, would be nicyto get that sorted.

I sent mine back for a rewax and a repair ( a small hole on the sleeve ) £45 for both well worth it

Cheers