closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega x Swatch

Hybrid View

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I think there are some automatic models with non-serviceable movements and these at least are for all intents and purposes disposable.
    And I understand that these Moonswatches are sealed units whose maintenance is limited to battery changing. This means that it will be necessary to destroy the case to gain access to change the movement or carry out any work on it beyond battery changing.

That is not genuinely "sustainable" in my view, no matter what the plastic is made of. This is why I say it is all about greenwashing and marketing. It's just ultimately a throw away item that has nice warm snugly feeling fad-words related to it that appeal to a certain demographic so that hey don't think how wasteful its manufacture and ultimate fate will almost certainly be.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    And I understand that these Moonswatches are sealed units whose maintenance is limited to battery changing. This means that it will be necessary to destroy the case to gain access to change the movement or carry out any work on it beyond battery changing.

That is not genuinely "sustainable" in my view, no matter what the plastic is made of. This is why I say it is all about greenwashing and marketing. It's just ultimately a throw away item that has nice warm snugly feeling fad-words related to it that appeal to a certain demographic so that hey don't think how wasteful its manufacture and ultimate fate will almost certainly be.
    Lol. All swatches come apart you don’t destroy anything lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DimGR View Post
    Lol. All swatches come apart you don’t destroy anything lol
    (a) I was referring to the Moonswatches specifically. Are they openable without damaging the case, do you know?

(b) Who told you that about "all swatches"? The whole point of Swatches was originally that they were sealed, cheap, effectively disposable units. I have a Swatch and, rest assured, it is sealed (apart from the battery hatch). The movement is inaccessible without causing damage to the case.

(a) I was referring to the Moonswatches specifically. Are they openable without damaging the case, do you know?

(b) Who told you that about "all swatches"? The whole point of Swatches was originally that they were sealed, cheap, effectively disposable units. I have a Swatch and, rest assured, it is sealed (apart from the battery hatch). The movement is inaccessible without causing damage to the case.
    You remove the crown-stem and everything then starts coming apart. Rest assured it opens fine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DimGR View Post
    You remove the crown-stem and everything then starts coming apart. Rest assured it opens fine.
    How would that happen on a single piece plastic unit? There is nothing to come apart.

How would that happen on a single piece plastic unit? There is nothing to come apart.
    https://youtu.be/3a96xQfanN0

Blog Entries
    ^^^ Interesting. Does that work for "all Swatches"?

Well, no, it doesn't. It definitely does not work on mine. The crown won't come out, no matter what.

As I say, the original point of them was that they were a sealed, unmaintainable unit. No front access, no access at all (apart from battery).
    Last edited by markrlondon; 9th April 2022 at 16:09.

Couldn’t agree more. I’m shocked how easy to manipulate the masses.
    Especially knowing that “sustainable” does exist for long time in the watch industry.
    I can’t see how a product which can work for decades or -let’s say- a century requiring only manual or automatic winding and some servicing here and there wouldn’t be environment friendly.
    The only fault I of the mechanical watch is that you don’t need to replace it for decades and consumer society don’t like it.