Elegant looks,
    Fairly readily available preowned,
    300m w/r,
    Chronometer,
    Highly legible,
    Looks good on a variety of straps,
    Not as ubiquitous as some other pieces.
    That's a very good shout.

Different to a Sub but lovely in it's own right.

I have the quartz version and is a favourite of mine.

Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    Not sure how much these are second hand, but I think they're lovely things:

Not my pic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jari37 View Post
    Not sure how much these are second hand, but I think they're lovely things:

Not my pic.
    I think this or the previous version might be a bit rich to release any meaningful funds for a mortgage, but they are a better watch than a submariner (ssssshhhhhh don’t tell anyone). :-)
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 1st May 2022 at 18:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I think this or the previous version might be a bit rich to release any meaningful funds for a mortgage, but they are a better watch than a submariner (ssssshhhhhh don’t tell anyone). :-)
    Certainly wouldn’t say better but they do hold their own.
    I love these. Do wear slightly larger than Sub but a beautiful watch nonetheless.

I think the AquaRacer from Tag Heuer is an underrated dive watch - I had one and it was very good quality, very robust, fantastic lume, wore lovely and slim on wrist and the bracelet was very supple and articulated beautifully. If it’s a money recovery exercise then I think it would be a decent alternative to the obvious choice of the BB58. I prefer the last generation model in the pic to the current gen, and you can get a good second hand one for about £1200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Another vote for a 2254.50. I have one and really love it.
    I have to admit that I have absolutely no interest at all in current/recent (chunky) Submariners so there are a lot of watches that I would pick as alternatives.

Master
    Thanks for all your suggestions, everyone.

Still pondering…

Surprised that some are valuing mine so high! It has the original box but not papers, but has full certification from Miltonaires (where I bought it from).

My choice would be the BB58, VFM, size and looks similar to what is departing yet different enough to not be a homage, yet also similar to not be to different.

Alternatively as someone else mentioned the earlier Tag Aquaracer WAN, cheap end of the scale, again distinctive and easily servicible.

Much like 2254 Seamaster that has been mentioned.

Had a second thought on the BB58. Bit of a wait and slightly different style but I'd think about the BB Pro.

Got mine last Saturday and it's only been off for half a day since.

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    Seiko MM300, SBDX017. Has diashield, no Prospex “X”, and a GS movement. Wears far better than the dimensions suggest, and mine is worn far more than my SD.

Great looking to boot.

And unlike a Rolex, you can buy them and will hardly ever see another.
    Seconding this. The seiko is a really nice watch. Thicker than the sub, but it's easy wearing. I have non watch friends who thought I was stupid to get rid of mine.

Buying a Tudor would only seem to remind you you used to have a Rolex, to me.

To be honest, though, I agree with the comment earlier that £5k isn't going to make much dent in a mortgage (It won't make much of a dent in many car loans!), so I'm a little skeptical this isn't just casual musing.

If the OP is serious, sell the Rolex for top price and buy something under £500.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Buying a Tudor would only seem to remind you you used to have a Rolex, to me.

To be honest, though, I agree with the comment earlier that £5k isn't going to make much dent in a mortgage (It won't make much of a dent in many car loans!), so I'm a little skeptical this isn't just casual musing.

If the OP is serious, sell the Rolex for top price and buy something under £500.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Fair comment, but we are also selling our VW camper, which will release £20k+, so this is in addition to that. We are lucky enough to have a not huge mortgage, so this will make a good impact. I love my watches, so do want something nice to replace my 16610, and already have a few <£500 watches.

Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    Fair comment, but we are also selling our VW camper, which will release £20k+, so this is in addition to that. We are lucky enough to have a not huge mortgage, so this will make a good impact. I love my watches, so do want something nice to replace my 16610, and already have a few <£500 watches.
    Fair enough, personally (even though I'm not a Rolex fan) I would hold onto it for the difference it will make - In 10 years time it could be worth a lot more. Interest rates are still low, you'll probably gain less clearing 5k off your mortgage than you will keeping it for a few more years. I was in a similar position some years ago and decided it wasn't worth paying off the remaining mortgage for the sake of saying I was mortgage free for a few extra years when I was paying a tiny amount each month. Having a few thousand in the savings was more reassuring at the time.

If you're keen to sell it on, to try something different, I'd look at a Zenith of some sort (probably used at £3K), a Sinn (yes, some are far more 'agricultural' than a Rolex, but surely a change is the point?) or a Longines Hydroconquest (or even a Conquest) to keep the Swiss brand with heritage, but less invested, mood going.

I was wearing my HC yesterday and it still looks good to me 10 years after treating myself to it for my 50th.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 3rd May 2022 at 10:46.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Just a thought but you could sell the Sub and buy a bunch of watches second hand for the same amount and keep the winner.

BB58 - 2.2-2.3k, BB Pro - 3.1k, MM300 - 1.7-2k, Tag - 500-1k. Seamaster - 2-3k new Vs old, Sinn/Damasko - 1.5-2.5k.

Pick a few including some of the options above and rotate through them, see how you feel after a month or three, and then sell. So long as you don't buy new or hold for ages you'd be very well insulated against depreciation.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Fair enough, personally (even though I'm not a Rolex fan) I would hold onto it for the difference it will make - In 10 years time it could be worth a lot more. Interest rates are still low, you'll probably gain less clearing 5k off your mortgage than you will keeping it for a few more years. I was in a similar position some years ago and decided it wasn't worth paying off the remaining mortgage for the sake of saying I was mortgage free for a few extra years when I was paying a tiny amount each month. Having a few thousand in the savings was more reassuring at the time.

If you're keen to sell it on, to try something different, I'd look at a Zenith of some sort (probably used at £3K), a Sinn (yes, some are far more 'agricultural' than a Rolex, but surely a change is the point?) or a Longines Hydroconquest (or even a Conquest) to keep the Swiss brand with heritage, but less invested, mood going.

I was wearing my HC yesterday and it still looks good to me 10 years after treating myself to it for my 50th.

M
    Trouble is this post is a mix of watch talk and financial advice question.

There is something nice about being mortgage free but with interests rates so low to me there is little point paying off the mortgage if I have something better to do with the money.

For the short term (less than 10 years) I would expect a 16610 to more than cover any mortgage interest so I'd keep it.

The campervan on the other hand is likely going down in value (camper strong residuals noted) so if you are not using that much selling that makes sense.

If you really want to clear off the mortgage for the landmark then I'd sell it and wear one of the other watches you already have .... then see how the dust settles.... then buy back a 16610 :-)

An oft-overlooked brand in Britain is Davosa - they make an enormous range of divers watches - from near-copies of the Sub, through to some genuine originals, all really nicely finished from the couple I've seen in the metal. Very competitively priced, too.

From the conventional...

...to the outré

I’ll second the recommendation of a Panerai sub, especially now they come in 47, 44 & 42mm. So many different looks with the amount of easily changeable straps avilable.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I’d recommend Tudor subs from the similar era (or slightly earlier).

They are built amazingly and still can be had for reasonable monies

My 76100s

And 79190 from later era (not my picture below)

Master
    Like a sub but not a sub homage, cheaper but still a nice watch. Hmm.
    There are some truly quality homages it there that get a lot of deserved wis respect.... If you could hey hold of a mkii Nassau for example, that would be something to admire, but staying away from homages then the new Tissot seastar, or an oris aquis maybe

Master
    The Tag Heuer aquaracer on SC at £500 looks a very good 'sub'stitute. I'm tempted to buy it myself!

Master
    If you are considering a Pelegos, I'd be tempted by this;
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...0TN-(ETA)-mint
    Nice 2 liner, ETA movement which will be easier to service and looks to be within your budget.
    I have an 116610 and a HC (albeit the 39mm version) and while I wanted to love the BB38 it just felt too small. That's why I ended up with a Pelegos and it's not been off my wrist since.
    The 42mm Steinhart is also a good shout, I have one of these;
    https://www.chronomaster.co.uk/watch...um-103+-+0662/
    Last edited by Beanie; 8th May 2022 at 15:55.