closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Just an idea so far - opinions please - UPDATED

Great idea Eddie...

I'd love to have a GMT and must say I prefer version 1.

Had a little play myself and wondered what you guys think of this look?

Just love the STOWA type face 8)

Cheers

TonyV

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    If I fit a steel movement holder combined with a steel dust cover, I should be able to use the non-chronograph version of the SB 1903 case which has 20mm lugs. Oh yes, it would also have good anti-magnetic properties.
    This is what I love about Eddie's watch designs -- great features and money-saving ideas all rolled into one.

20mm lugs would be great, anti-magnetic properties even better, use of an existing case a real money-saver.

Count me in! :lol:

Re: Great idea Eddie...

Quote Originally Posted by TonyV

Just love the STOWA type face.
    The Stowa type face (which actually has been used by others as well), is very nice. I much prefer this type of design, or the IWC UTC type, which is close, to the detailed minute track style of Eddie's second proposal.

But, I really, really dislike the oval date window, as well as the placement/size/shape of the GMT window on this design. (Sorry, Tony, but you did ask....)

Unfortunately, I don't have Photoshop capability. Anybody interested in creating a Photoshop mockup of the non-chrono Speedbird 1903 case with a Stowa//IWC UTC dial with "Speedbird GMT" text and maybe the red-on-black GMT and date numbers we've discussed?

Now, I look at it again...

not sure about the windows either, but still think the overal face is great.

Great to be able to play with ideas.

Cheers

TonyV

Cheers

TonyV
    You cannot differentiate the minute from the hour hand in a glance ...
    Have you considered getting a Stowa perhaps? :wink:

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Have considered the Stowa....

But don't have a GMT :(

Also of course Eddie, just makes watches of incredible specifiaction and quality for the money.

Best

TonyV

Master

Re: Have considered the Stowa....

But don't have a GMT :(

Also of course Eddie, just makes watches of incredible specifiaction and quality for the money.

Best

TonyV
    I think they have a GMT at 1700Euros. I dodn't like it and it's too expensive.

Actually, I think you are right....

but 1700 euros is way too rich for my blood anyway :(

I originally had a SpeedBird and let it go in a moment of total madness. I would be proud to own a GMT cousin.

So, if you build Eddie it, they will come. :wink:

Cheers

TonyV

I think the problem I have with the GMT window in Tony's proposed design is that I really want to be able to clearly see the current GMT hour as well as the numbers (not dots) before and after the current one.

I think the IWC UTC type GMT window does this very well, and we should stick with that type of design unless here is an alternative which is clearly superior to it...

Eddie, are you definitely planning to make the Speedbird GMT?

Will there also be a DN-GMT? If so, will the DN-GMT use a 24hr hand (instead of the 24hr window on the Speedbird GMT)?

Or will you only do one or the other, but not both?

Also, is there any news regarding the possibility of a DN dive chronograph?

I guess what I'm really asking for here is a status update on both pending (e.g. FA53, SM300, CAF, CAF Ltd. ed., etc.) projects, as well as possible additional projects (e.g. DN-GMT, Speedbird GMT, DN Dive Chronograph, etc.)

I can only speak for myself, but I'm unsure of scheduling (or even verification that the project is a "go") for several of these.

My budget can't accommodate all of these, but the more advance notice I have, the more I can make allowances for specific purchases...

I realize that there can be a lot of schedule slippage as these projects unfold, but could you please figure out a way to keep us updated on the status of each one? If you would prefer not to do that on the forum, then I would be open to email upates... Thanks!

I would like to do both the Speedbird GMT and the DN GMT Brian but a GMT is only worth doing if it's done with the modified movement, allowing the hour hand to be independently set without hacking the watch.

This movement is more difficult to get and the acquisition time is long. If I can get the movement, then both will happen; the DN with a GMT hand and the Speedbird with a window.

I would also like to make a DN chronograph and already have feelers out for this.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I would love a DN chronograph hopefully by the time its produced I will have enough cash to buy one :)

Craftsman

A DN Chrono

hmmmm sounds very nice...

Even better a DN Chrono GMT "a la Kobold Polar Surveyor" Im sure you could do it for a lot less than $5k+ :wink:

http://www.koboldwatch.com/915151.htm

OK put my name down for #198 :lol:

-Amer

Craftsman
    Speedbird GMT, DN GMT, DN Chrono - 3 must-have pieces, I'd better start getting the credit card into training!

Michael

Grand Master

Re: A DN Chrono

Quote Originally Posted by Faide
    hmmmm sounds very nice...

Even better a DN Chrono GMT "a la Kobold Polar Surveyor" Im sure you could do it for a lot less than $5k+ :wink:

http://www.koboldwatch.com/915151.htm

OK put my name down for #198 :lol:

-Amer
    The concept of the Kobold watch, combining UTC and a chrono, is very attractive. If there is any chance, Eddie, go for it!

BTW, is "surveyour" spelled correctly on Kobold's website? I thought it should be "surveyor", or is the "surveyour" the British English variant?

Crusader
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    I would like to do both the Speedbird GMT and the DN GMT Brian but a GMT is only worth doing if it's done with the modified movement, allowing the hour hand to be independently set without hacking the watch.

This movement is more difficult to get and the acquisition time is long. If I can get the movement, then both will happen; the DN with a GMT hand and the Speedbird with a window.

I would also like to make a DN chronograph and already have feelers out for this.
    Thanks, Eddie! I am in total agreement with you (as are most here, I feel) about using only a "proper" GMT movment. (BTW, how did the "backwards" GMT movement become the standard ETA offering anyway? Curious, to say the least...)

While a combined DN GMT Chronograph does indeed sound attractive, we need to beware of "gilding the lily", so to speak. Remember, there is a VERY long lead time to obtain even a simple modified GMT movement, so if you are going to add a chrono module to that (e.g. Dubois Depraz), then you are talking even more additional time and lots of $$$$.

With any luck, Eddie's inquiries about a DN chronograph will be fruitful, and we can obtain one fairly soon, while continuing to save for a Speedbird GMT and DN-GMT, which will (due to delay in getting the "right" movements) be longer in coming.

Grand Master
    Tactical DN chrono with 5100 movement and one subdial for hours only perhaps? :D

Ming

Apprentice

Cheers

TonyV
    Tony, that's a fantastic looking dial! I like the slate blue with white.
    I also like that you're moving away from the IWC look and creating something new. I think the real selling point of this watch is that it adds a GMT complication but doesn't add a lot of unneccesary clutter to the dial.

The Ulyses Nardin GMT watch also use an hour window, in my opinion very succesfully. I'll never be able to afford a UN, but I'd love to get my hands on the speedbird GMT.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Thein
    Tactical DN chrono with 5100 movement and one subdial for hours only perhaps? :D
    Personally, I would just about KILL for any kind of a DN chrono with a Lemania 5100 movement.

Considering the restrictions being placed on the availability of that movement, though, it may be only a dream. (Unless Timefactors has been secretly acquired by the Swatch Group, and that would be a nightmare, I think! :shock: )

DN chrono, ummmm the stuff dreams are made of....

Didn't have the cash available for the DN, but would sell the kids, well the wife anyway for a chrono DN, psst, don't tell her I said that :wink:

But seriously, a DN with the 5100 movement would be awsome, I know it would be the watch of the year!

How hard are 5100 movements to get?

Something also worth considering Eddie, is the flush type buttons like on the Tutima NATO chrono. The design gives you 200m WR when using the chrono and also wouldn't snag when diving, now that would be incredible :D

Cheers

TonyV

Re: DN chrono, ummmm the stuff dreams are made of....

a DN with the 5100 movement would be awesome, I know it would be the watch of the year!
    Amen, brother!

How hard are 5100 movements to get?
    I think you need a mask, a gun, and knowledge of the delivery truck's route... :shock: Eddie?

Something also worth considering Eddie, is the flush type buttons like on the Tutima NATO chrono. The design gives you 200m WR when using the chrono and also wouldn't snag when diving, now that would be incredible :D
    Yeah, that's a nice streamlined look. Hey, if it isn't a design patent, and is cost effective, sure. But nice sturdy screwdown pushers would be fine also IMHO.

Anybody know why Omega is one of the few (if not the only) manufacturers who say it is OK to operate the pushers underwater? Are their pushers somehow superior, or are they just more confident than others???

Re: DN chrono, ummmm the stuff dreams are made of....

Didn't have the cash available for the DN, but would sell the kids, well the wife anyway for a chrono DN, psst, don't tell her I said that :wink:

TonyV
    Do you think you can get enough? Just joking. But she is second-hand. The kids perhaps ... but with the influx of the East Europeans the prices are a bit low at the mo.

How about a ?PRS Power Reserve?? Power Reserve is all the range this year.

john

Well you said it not me....

Araxas Wrote:
    Do you think you can get enough? Just joking. But she is second-hand. The kids perhaps ... but with the influx of the East Europeans the prices are a bit low at the mo.
    What do you mean second hand, (more like 20th) I have her logbook, she was a very popular model!! :twisted:

God, I hope she doesn't read this.... :roll:

TonyV

Grand Master
    5100s are impossible to get, but apparently there is a 7750 derivitave in the pipeline which has center minutes.

Ming

I would still like the idea of a Bullhead DN Chrono.

Re: Well you said it not me....

Araxas Wrote:
    What do you mean second hand, (more like 20th) I have her logbook, she was a very popular model!! :twisted:

God, I hope she doesn't read this.... :roll:

TonyV
    Just joking mate ... :D :D

john

5100s are impossible to get, but apparently there is a 7750 derivitave in the pipeline which has center minutes.
    Ming, I remember reading about this a while back. Was it Sinn that was behind it, or is old age catching up with me? Will it be widely available? Do you (or does anyone else out there) have any more info on this???

Grand Master
    Sinn is developing a jumping chrono center-minute version of the 7750.

See http://www.sinn-uhren.de/LEXIKON/lexiko ... ag-002.htm

I think it is supposed to be available this year, but I'd give it another one or two years after it's out for initial product optimization.

Crusader
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Grand Master
    I thought there was a sinn version with the jumping minutes, as well as an ETA one. But I might be wrong.

Ming

Hey Abraxas, I know you were joking...no worries

Blimey, I was joking too of course :twisted: ...of I love my wife... :lol:

Best

Tony

OK just playing, but>>>>>

Here's my poor sffort at a DN chrono mock-up. I know the sub dials are incorrect, but waht about the overall look?

Sorry Eddie, if I've turned the DN into a monster just paly, kind of :evil:

OK let fly.....

Best

TonyV

Grand Master
    Damn that looks good. What about using a tricompax 7753?

Ming

I think smaller second indicators on the dial are required and possibly 1/5s too.
    Good start though :D
    Phil

7753 would be nice,

Those are pretty hard to get movements too, aren't they?

I suppose the benefit of the 5100 would be it's renowned ruggedness.

TonyV

Master
    The biggest challenge with the DN chrono, I suspect, will be that the inner diameter of the minute ring is pretty darn small. Fitting in the sub dials without breaching the minute marks will probably prove impossible.

Kevin

Any DN chrono will definitely be traditional tri-compax layout. Possibly orange dial as well.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Tachy ring...

Any better?

Like the idea of an orange dial, very cool!

Cheers

Tony

Master
    That looks damn good, Tony. 8)

Grand Master
    I like! I think orang dial might be a bit OTT though. Mmm tricompax...

Possibly consider also skeleton hands with lumed frames so it's easier to read the chrono subdials?

Ming

Master
    I like! I think orang dial might be a bit OTT though. Mmm tricompax...

Possibly consider also skeleton hands with lumed frames so it's easier to read the chrono subdials?

Ming
    I was just thinking that

Something like this?

TonyV

Craftsman
    Nice mock-up Tony. Like the hands and pushers.

Michael.

Master

Analogue!

Eddie, whichever design you finally choose, please keep it as analogue as possible.

Craftsman

Orange dial!!!

No please no!!! :shock: Keep it black.

I like the skeleton hands thing to make it easier to read the dials.

Also Thumbs Up for the Tri-Compax dial decision. :)

-Amer

Grand Master
    That''s great Tony :D I wonder if it'd be possible to keep the orange minute hand by using orange lume like on the 12 marker instead of the greenish stuff?

Ming

Master
    Keep it black dial and skeleton hands in the orange and white like the original DN. :)

Grand Master
    Agreed. But damn it looks good. How we're going to pay for the darn things (CAF, SM300, FA53, DNGMT, DN-Chrono) is beyond me...

Ming

Master
    Agreed. But damn it looks good. How we're going to pay for the darn things (CAF, SM300, FA53, DNGMT, DN-Chrono) is beyond me...

Ming
    It's definitely gonna break the bank. :shock:

I hope and prey to the lord that Eddie spreads them out and keeps most of them non-LE. They're all gonna be fantastic watches and there will be definite orders such as the SM300 from me. It's just a question of deciding from the others. :D :)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scottee

Ming
    It's definitely gonna break the bank. :shock:

I hope and prey to the lord that Eddie spreads them out and keeps most of them non-LE. They're all gonna be fantastic watches and there will be definite orders such as the SM300 from me. It's just a question of deciding from the others. :D :)
    Non-LE would enable us to spread the purchases out somewhat ...

Crusader
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

More like this?

I definately like this look better..

Cheers

TonyV