closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko spb149 running eratically

Craftsman

Seiko spb149 running eratically

Hi folks,

I picked up a spb149 from chrono24 last week. First day on the wrist it was running like 5 minutes slow. Seems to have settled a bit with a few days wearing but still looks like maybe 30 seconds a day slow. Buyer is fine about it and it's still under warranty with Seiko. Worth sending it back to Seiko for checking or give it a while more to settle?

Thanks,
    Mick

Quote Originally Posted by micks_address View Post
    Hi folks,

I picked up a spb149 from chrono24 last week. First day on the wrist it was running like 5 minutes slow. Seems to have settled a bit with a few days wearing but still looks like maybe 30 seconds a day slow. Buyer is fine about it and it's still under warranty with Seiko. Worth sending it back to Seiko for checking or give it a while more to settle?

Thanks,
    Mick
    Do you mean the seller is fine about it? i.e. offering to refund you?

Perhaps it's magnetised, that could be an easy fix. If it's anything else I'd be returning it and letting the seller deal with their erratic watch, it shouldn't become your problem to sort it IMO.

Craftsman
    Fine as in he's happy to sort it out

Craftsman
    Hi folks,

Thanks,
    Mick
    Send it to Seiko, their service is fab.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Do you mean the seller is fine about it? i.e. offering to refund you?

Perhaps it's magnetised, that could be an easy fix. If it's anything else I'd be returning it and letting the seller deal with their erratic watch, it shouldn't become your problem to sort it IMO.
    Would it not run fast if magnetised?

Hold it next to a compass to check for magnetism.

If it needs to go to seiko they are usually fairly quick on turnaround if you really want to keep it.

Sent from a technical device.

Are you sure it's fully wound?

Seiko tolerances for this movement are -15/+25 so if it's definitely running -30 they should sort it.

Craftsman
    Re winding... I wound it a fair bit..with an auto they dont stop like a manual? I have been wearing it a week. It's not consistent but feels like about a minute slow each day. Keeping an eye on it..can I bring it to any Seiko ad? I'm based I. Dublin..the seller is in Sweden so I don't really want to post it back

Take the watch off, wind it 40-50 times, set the time against a digital watch or phone app, rest the watch face up and check the time 24 hours later against the same time source to see the deviation. If it's still -30 or worse then it needs to go to a Seiko AD to send for warranty repair/service.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ENES View Post
    Would it not run fast if magnetised?
    Generally watches do run fast if magnetised. However it is possible for it to run slow. As said use a compass to check first before you send it away for a check.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Take the watch off, wind it 40-50 times, set the time against a digital watch or phone app, rest the watch face up and check the time 24 hours later against the same time source to see the deviation. If it's still -30 or worse then it needs to go to a Seiko AD to send for warranty repair/service.
    Did this and it actually seems fine for last 36 hours. Weird wearing it for the week seems to have brought it into spec.

Did this and it actually seems fine for last 36 hours. Weird wearing it for the week seems to have brought it into spec.

Craftsman
    Watch still etatic. Can run fine for a day and then I look at it and it's 3 minutes slow. I guess it needs to go back to Seiko. What warranty do Seiko provide?

With seiko you just need to book it in and they will tell you what is required, I am guessing proof of purchase and that the watch is still in warranty.
    One thing to check, you say after winding it it was fine but when worn on the wrist it losses time. It sounds to me as you might not be moving enough to keep the charge up / wind it. Seiko are not the most efficient winding watches so they require a fair bit of movement, if stuck at a desk all day it might not be enough to wind the thing.
    Solutions may include moving a bit more, swing the watch every morning for a bit, or doing something with you hand and wrist that very repetitive

Seriously my SKX does not wind enough if I spend all day stuck at a desk and it looses time and this sounds similar

Master
    Sounds potentially magnetised.

I had a watch that would be fine for a few hours and then all of a sudden lose chunks of time. It was magnetised, and easily sorted under warranty.

Magnetism can definitely cause slower as well as faster time keeping. It can also stop the movement altogether, which also happened to me once.

I now have one of those demagnetisers and it’s worked a few times for me. I do seem a little cursed with magnetising so it’s a vital tool.

Craftsman
    boxed up and going back to seiko with receipt and warranty card... 2 years next friday so just in time... might as well get it checked under warranty either way..