closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Soap , bar or liquid .

Craftsman

Soap , bar or liquid .

I recently had cause over a “light ale” with former colleagues to discuss the above .
    It would seem those of us of more mature years still hanker for the bar type , whilst our off spring won’t have it in the house .
    My grandchildren are fascinated by bars of soap and often want to take it home to put under a pillow as they like the smell .
    This led onto a very nostalgic visit of Camay , Lux , Lifebuoy , Green blocks of Fairy , Wrights coal tar , Pears & of course the non discript pink bars at junior school .

Any memories or anecdotes to share along with bar or liquid preference …. Of course there is the ecological argument as well .

Finally bar shampoo … any thoughts or experiences?

Enjoy or ignore this thread for what it is , a bit of life get hearted fun and discussion .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Bar for everything here - comes in cardboard packaging, minimises single use plastic.

The bar shampoo is really good.

Washing up liquid comes from the refill shop.

+1 for bars of soap and bars of shampoo. Much less waste. Even using some weird egg thing in the washing machine as it’s less waste and environmentally friendly.

Master
    A bar of soap in the shower???
    Did nobody see that episode of Friends? "Think about the last thing I wash...and the first thing you wash.. ".

Liquid soap is the future

Craftsman
    Simple bar soap here, liquid shampoo. Intrigued by the idea of bar shampoo, may have to try it!

Blog Entries
    Must admit to preferring bars of soap. Imperial Leather with the little label to stand them on are always good. Pears always reminds me of a teacher called Mrs McFarlane. Took a typing course in the sixth form as a filler and she always made the 3 boys in the class wash their hands before the lessons with Pears soap!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    I use bars of soap for use in the shower and sink. The wife is 100% liquid.

For shampoo I have a gallon of liquid which costs about £1 whereas the wife buys little bottles that cost an absolute fortune.

"Soap on a rope", anyone ??

Master
    Soap - bar - mainly Pears.
    Shampoo - liquid- currently Geo F Trumper Extract Of Limes. I've tried and failed with shampoo bars.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Coal Tar bar, love the smell, lasts ages, less waste.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    "Soap on a rope", anyone ??
    Yes. At least it’s easy to remove.

Regards
    V

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used to fly a lot with work, bar of soap, bar of shampoo/conditioner and solid deodorant meant I could travel hand luggage only. Bar of soap always a better option when I’ve been working on the car.

Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    Coal Tar bar, love the smell, lasts ages, less waste.
    My favourite also. Actually feels like it's doing something unlike many of the mild soaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    My favourite also. Actually feels like it's doing something unlike many of the mild soaps.
    Nothing like the original of course.

Blog Entries
    Liquid soap.
    Liquid shampoo.

Realised I've never liked bar soap.

Blog Entries
    Bar soap for me - usually a choice between Imperial Leather, Shield or Wrights.

Everyone else in the family (of 5) use various varieties of liquids.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Liquid for me, feels more hygienic, less mess in the sink and less chance of the pipes getting blocked with residue

Bar of soap, something like Dove that contains moisturiser and despite shaving my head I still use an anti dandruff shampoo on my head - no idea why, just habit.

I even brush my head every morning even if there is nothing there, feels good on the scalp.

Journeyman
    All liquid here. Too many things stick to bars of soap !

Liquid soap should be banned for ecological reasons.
    I didn’t know bar shampoo was a thing but will look into it for the same reason.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    Imperial Leather here. And don’t know why but I have a hand sanitiser fetish . I can’t resist a squirt in my hands (oooh errr Mrs). At home or out and about. It’s that feeling as it evaporates lol.

Soap , bar or liquid .

Definitely bar soap for me, been good enough for thousands of years - find liquid soap slimy and wasteful.

I use something like olive oil soap or Aleppo when I can find it and recently bought some argan oil bars. No problem using on my hair either, haven’t got a great deal but does leave it soft and looking okay.

Of more mainstream bars, quite like Pears though haven’t used it for years.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I mean, how does that sticker stay on imperial leather!! It must have tiny bolts or pile driven somehow.

It's soap that will clog up the drains with slime, and discolour grout with the residues.

I found a shower gel that I really like, buy it in 5ltr catering containers and decant into whatever dispensers I have.

Bar of soap for us, never heard of a shampoo bar but that'd never fly with the wife and her 16 bottles of hair stuff cluttering up the shower.

Shower gel never leaves me feeling clean.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Craftsman

Soap , bar or liquid .

Thanks all for entering into the spirit of this .
    The forum does represent the diverse feelings and usage the group I initially had this conversation with .

Like many on here I had not heard of bar shampoo , however I have since then purchased and used it & I am a convert , ecologically, practically and economically .
    Thanks all … the YouTube clips of adverts for Imperial leather and others are a real nostalgic trip !

https://youtu.be/3nK_O1tpEHY

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Soap bar for general hands & face washing & the odd bonus bath if I’m feeling flush ,usually Dove soap .
    Liquids for the shower , purely for ease of use .

i use multiple types of both, not fussed about brands as long as they are good quality and not harsh or too drying for the skin

i quite like dr bronners, you can still find the big bottles for £16 on sale and they were that much 10 years ago so one thing that has not shot up in price ( YET )

Bar of local hand made soap used with a Japanese wash cloth that generates lots of lather.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Bars for the bathroom,liquid anti bac in the kitchen especially when I’ve been carrying out pond maintenance.

Craftsman
    I remember as a kid when my mum bought a bar of (then totally a new thing) Lemon Zest soap (bar).

I thought anything that smells that good, must taste freaking fantastic.

I quickly discovered the error of my ways.

I have never been tempted to eat soap again.

Though there were several times during my youth when my mum said to me: "I'll wash your mouth out with soap and water!"

Ah, happy days.

Today...

...As an adult, I enjoy Pears Soap in the bath or shower and any antibac hand pump everywhere else =)

As I've been using Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap (aka The Fat) as my DE shaving soap, I tried their hand soaps a couple of years ago. Since then, it's just about the only soap I now have.

Made in Bradford, with plenty of lanolin, it's very kind to your hands, is delicately scented, mostly smells of soap and occasionally honey. The lather is superb. I don't use it in the shower, as I prefer something a little more fruity, such as this.

I’ve always had very dry skin and switched to natural soap and shampoo bars, no chemicals or animal fats.

We still use a old plastic soap pump dispenser in the kitchen but when I need a refill I grate up a soap bar, melt it with boiling water and stir. It lasts for ages.

Master
    Shampoo! now there's a memory jerker. Bar soap here otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    As I've been using Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap (aka The Fat) as my DE shaving soap, I tried their hand soaps a couple of years ago. Since then, it's just about the only soap I now have.

Made in Bradford, with plenty of lanolin, it's very kind to your hands, is delicately scented, mostly smells of soap and occasionally honey. The lather is superb.

Mitchell's wool fat soap is great for shaving. I guess the shaving soap has higher % lanolin than the general soap they produce.

Not to be confused with the stuff that goes in to jumpers............

Quote Originally Posted by A.Pottinger View Post
    One of my more exotic jumpers is an Arran pattern made of Karakul sheep wool from Afghanistan. It is (almost) bullet-proof (partly as the wool still has some natural linoleum in it, the traditional way).

Looks excellent.
    Remember any of the following:

Lifeboy
    Fairy Kitchen soap
    Wrights Coaltar soap
    and last but not least Carbolic (from schooldays)
    Last edited by blackal; 14th August 2022 at 16:34.

Master
    Coal tar some reminds me of my gran parents- they always had it
    I like detol soap in the shower but also have shower gel
    As a kid I was ‘allergic’ to imperial leather - found out while at cub camp

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I found a shower gel that I really like, buy it in 5ltr catering containers and decant into whatever dispensers I have.
    I do this with liquid soap. Amazon had a good deal on 5 litre containers a while back.

Craftsman
    I’m a little late to this but I do prefer bar soap for hand washing as liquid often feels like it’s not all washed off, if that makes sense.

Liquid is obviously more hygienic in most public places hence why it’s used more now I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell's wool fat soap is great for shaving. I guess the shaving soap has higher % lanolin than the general soap they produce.

Lifeboy
    Fairy Kitchen soap
    Wrights Coaltar soap
    I do remember lifeboy, and carbolic soap and Izal bog paper. Appalling.

"The Fat" is superb for shaving but you do need soft water to fully build up the lather, which is not a problem here in Edinburgh :)

Used Dove soap for as long as I can remember, have tried other bars but found they left my skin feeling very dry.

Never hard of a bar of shampoo might have to give that a go.

Bars for me. Cheap supermarket 'pure' soap, mixed up with whatever else I can find.

Would like to be using Shield in this heat, but can't find it anywhere...

Bars of soap for shower if I can find my preferred variety at a sensible price. I bought 100 bars about 18 months ago and am probably half way through now. Also used by wife and son.

Lifeboy
    Fairy Kitchen soap
    Wrights Coaltar soap
    I'm confused. Isn't the lanolin exactly the same stuff as left in some wool jumpers, with the 'linoleum' referred to in the jumper description being a mistake?

I liked bar soap. I particularly like traditional Aleppo soap, a bay laurel and olive oil mix but it's relatively expensive. We also use Oliva brand olive oil soap. We buy large 600g blocks and cut them in half before aging them for six months to a year which produces a better lather.

Soap , bar or liquid .

Two Nuns in the bath. . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    I'm confused. Isn't the lanolin exactly the same stuff as left in some wool jumpers, with the 'linoleum' referred to in the jumper description being a mistake?

I liked bar soap. I particularly like traditional Aleppo soap, a bay laurel and olive oil mix but it's relatively expensive. We also use Oliva brand olive oil soap. We buy large 600g blocks and cut them in half before aging them for six months to a year which produces a better lather.
    It certainly confused Mr Pottinger……………….

Lanolin is the emollient in wool
    Linoleum is the 150yr old floor covering which made Kirkcaldy famous.

It certainly confused Mr Pottinger……………….

Lanolin is the emollient in wool
    Linoleum is the 150yr old floor covering which made Kirkcaldy famous.
    Got some multicoloured rainbow stripe linoleum in my bathroom.