closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which watches have taken you away from your 'norm'?

Master

Which watches have taken you away from your 'norm'?

Looking through the latest Friday thread highlighted to me the variety of watches we love and own between us here on TZ.
    I appreciate some are used as tools rather than just timepieces and that we all like different things, so I guess it’s no surprise to see many styles, sizes, colours and functions etc.

I just wondered though which watch may have tempted others to try something different from their ‘Norm’

For example, I like my watches simple just a 2/3 hander, I don’t like date cyclops, sub dials and I prefer a relatively clean, fuss free dial and I’m not sure If I’ll ever venture away from that.
    I’ve looked at Daytona’s and the Moonwatch etc. and they don’t do anything for me although I do appreciate their horological significance.

Anyone else had a specific ‘type’ but been swayed to try something totally different and then embraced it?
    Last edited by Tuna1138; 22nd August 2022 at 17:10. Reason: Title changed to be clearer/more specific.

Craftsman
    Nearly...

...I think I'm getting there.

For decades I've been a total dive watch nut.

Not considered anything else.

But now I find myself looking more and more at watches without rotating bezels.

Who knows what the future has in store =)

Master
    I have a real love for Ulysse Nardin who are a bit mad. I went for a Dual Time with the grand date and jump hour home time indicator instead of he more traditional 4 hand GMT. I also went for their interpretation of a dive watch with small seconds, power reserve and reverse Cyclops on the inside of the crystal.
    I really wish they’d jump on the integrated bracelet sport watch band wagon but the closest they come is the Executive dual time with rubber or leather which isn’t quite there for me. If they stuck that on a funky bracelet I’d have my kidney on eBay quick smart.

Small watches for me. My sweet spot always used to be the 40mm-42mm diameter range.

Then I discovered a Junghans ‘Max Bill’ hand wound at 34mm, tiny watch. Really liked the understated size, so I added a Nomos Tangente (35mm), probably one of Eddie’s 36mm soon

Master
    Having 'done' the Moonwatch, SMP 300, Explorer II, Navitimer etc. I have gone off-piste in recent additions to the collection, each one brings something distinctive.

Square face - Heuer Monaco Calibre 11
    Single hander - Meistersinger Neo Plus
    24hr dial - Jacopo Dondi
    Bronze - Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer
    Minimalist - NOMOS Tangente 38

The one watch I can't convince myself on is the JLC Reverso.
    Last edited by J J Carter; 21st August 2022 at 17:04.

Craftsman
    Fascinating thread. It made me think about where my departures were along the way.

Since a teenager I always wanted a JLC Reverso so that was the first watch I bought once I could afford it. That must have given me the bug because 8 years later I had (in order of acquisition):

JLC Reverso
    Cartier Pasha
    Patek 5085
    JLC Memovox
    Patek Worldtime
    Rolex GMT ii
    Lange 1815

That Rolex was a massive departure as a ‘tool watch’ amongst 6 other quite elegant pieces. But for about 13 years I bought no more watches and wore it almost exclusively while the others sat in the sock drawer. It still is a favourite.

Then a few years ago a Garrick caught my attention, so I commissioned one on impulse. Bug caught again so I’ve added in quite a brief period:

Garrick Norfolk
    Rolex Daytona
    Black Bay 58
    Day Date 40
    Omega Speedmaster

The Garrick was an obvious diversion being my only low volume independent but everything else is really mainstream which is not where I started at all. I’ve a Submariner and another Daytona on order too so it seems my tastes have become decidedly mass market nowadays. That GMT did it I guess.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    Fascinating thread. It made me think about where my departures were along the way.

Since a teenager I always wanted a JLC Reverso so that was the first watch I bought once I could afford it. That must have given me the bug because 8 years later I had (in order of acquisition):

JLC Reverso
    Cartier Pasha
    Patek 5085
    JLC Memovox
    Patek Worldtime
    Rolex GMT ii
    Lange 1815

That Rolex was a massive departure as a ‘tool watch’ amongst 6 other quite elegant pieces. But for about 13 years I bought no more watches and wore it almost exclusively while the others sat in the sock drawer. It still is a favourite.

Then a few years ago a Garrick caught my attention, so I commissioned one on impulse. Bug caught again so I’ve added in quite a brief period:

Garrick Norfolk
    Rolex Daytona
    Black Bay 58
    Day Date 40
    Omega Speedmaster

The Garrick was an obvious diversion being my only low volume independent but everything else is really mainstream which is not where I started at all. I’ve a Submariner and another Daytona on order too so it seems my tastes have become decidedly mass market nowadays. That GMT did it I guess.
    Looks like there are a few of us on a journey reading the above replies.
    Interesting that the GMT was a turning point for you and that Rolex seem to be your staple now. From your watch history it would suggest you must appreciate them for what they are, regardless of what others think 'mainstream' or not.

I'm intrigued as to where I will end up, I gravitate towards dive watches but looking at my current watches I see the bezels getting slightly busier from what I initially liked, The SD4000 with the 60 minute markers seemingly being the catalyst.
    I've had a few deviations from the Norm with Panerai watches, my current 112 having a polished bezel and previous 243 having a seconds sub dial,
    I'm intrigued as to where I will end up and what could be the one that leads me down a different rabbit hole.

I went shopping in 2005 for something unusual, U-Boat, Bell&Ross was just starting to make an appearance with the oversized watches.

I was on holiday and had shoppinng day, so walked into a store and tried on the U-Boat, sadly the clasp wouldn't close properly and kept popping open. With this the member of staff I was dealing with pulled out the BR01-94 Ti, needless to say I walked out the store with it on my wrist. Boxes and paperwork posted home. ;)

Saved a few quid on the exchange rate too.

Great thread and right up my street. My go-to in life is to be a bit "different" so no surprise I like some whacky watches.

I sold a Panerai 88 to become one of Schofield's first customers having met the wonderfully out-there owner of the brand, Giles.

The Signalman GMT PR remains one of my favourites today...

My dream watch is one of these on bracelet...

Many hated the rainbow Breitling Superocean Heritage 57 when it was released...

Not me!

This hulk of a watch - which decreases in height from "effin massive" to "still pretty huge" from the top of the case to the bottom - is one that I enjoy getting out from time to time...

Oh, and my first "proper" watch? That's got a hideous (lovely to me) growth at 2 o'clock...

So I guess I started weird, still look for weird, and will probably continue looking for weird. It's just me. I try not to follow the crowd despite owning and loving some others that would be more "the norm" - Tudors Pelagos/Black Bay ETA, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, various "normal" microbrands, Zenith Pilot Big Date Special etc. I'm very lucky to have broad taste, I think. It gives me options and I can blend in or stand out as I wish!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuna1138 View Post
    Interesting that the GMT was a turning point for you and that Rolex seem to be your staple now. From your watch history it would suggest you must appreciate them for what they are, regardless of what others think 'mainstream' or not.
    That GMT was bought as a beater but has become a very cherished piece. I still have all of the watches (except the 5085 that was lost). I just can’t bear to sell a watch.

I am a bit of a Rolex fan now, but have never really wanted a Sub until recently. That might be my last watch purchase because I doubt that my order for another Daytona will ever be fulfilled.

(I do find myself increasingly looking at Panerai, Breitling, IWC, Longines and GS but this habit has to stop somewhere.)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post

Not me!

I really like that a lot.

I like an unconventional choice, particularly when it offers something original. At a recent GTG no one liked it, but I don’t care!

As much as I enjoy Rolex, they are just a little bit boring / conservative, and it nice to have something that is a bit different.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bell and Ross BR03-92. Had one, sold it regret it. Will get another one day.

They’re oddly so comfortable , time keeping was great and I just loved the look of them.

JLC reverso- love this watch got one in 2019 after hankering after one for years. It just feels so special , the details like the blue hands, guilloche dial etc

I have fairly conventional tastes, so these are my more left field choices over the years.

Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post

This is delicious and a brand I've not heard of.

*googles*

Master
    I hate “the norm”!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post
    Great thread and right up my street. My go-to in life is to be a bit "different" so no surprise I like some whacky watches.

I sold a Panerai 88 to become one of Schofield's first customers having met the wonderfully out-there owner of the brand, Giles.

The Signalman GMT PR remains one of my favourites today...

My dream watch is one of these on bracelet...

Not me!

This hulk of a watch - which decreases in height from "effin massive" to "still pretty huge" from the top of the case to the bottom - is one that I enjoy getting out from time to time...

Oh, and my first "proper" watch? That's got a hideous (lovely to me) growth at 2 o'clock...

So I guess I started weird, still look for weird, and will probably continue looking for weird. It's just me. I try not to follow the crowd despite owning and loving some others that would be more "the norm" - Tudors Pelagos/Black Bay ETA, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, various "normal" microbrands, Zenith Pilot Big Date Special etc. I'm very lucky to have broad taste, I think. It gives me options and I can blend in or stand out as I wish!
    Some great watches there, I guess starting 'weird' and having broad taste while being a bit 'different' creates an eclectic collection regardless. I quiet like the Schofield, but I can't look at that Oris

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post

I like an unconventional choice, particularly when it offers something original. At a recent GTG no one liked it, but I don’t care!

As much as I enjoy Rolex, they are just a little bit boring / conservative, and it nice to have something that is a bit different.

Dave
    I quite like the B&R and have been tempted a few times when they have appeared on SC, they aren't a million miles away from my 'Norm'

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    I have fairly conventional tastes, so these are my more left field choices over the years.

As above I personally like the look of the B&R but I wouldn't consider it too far left field for me, the Nordgreen I like that (and as mentioned I don't like chrono's) that is quite subtle and keeps the dial quite clean

Quote Originally Posted by gladders View Post
    I hate “the norm”!

Colourful and different to mainstream I guess but if the Hublot was your Norm I'd say the Moser was a great choice for something different, I do like those

Also all my watches are simple three handers with clear dial faces with no subdials or date cyclops.
    Then I bought a Citizen Nighthawk - maybe it was the splash of red that attracted me.
    Anyway, now I seem to have three - anyone want to buy a couple of Nighthawks?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Routers View Post
    Also all my watches are simple three handers with clear dial faces with no subdials or date cyclops.
    Then I bought a Citizen Nighthawk - maybe it was the splash of red that attracted me.
    Anyway, now I seem to have three - anyone want to buy a couple of Nighthawks?

Brilliant, they are definitely different to your usual.