closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Young people in a classic Saab. A sort of time travel.

Blog Entries

Young people in a classic Saab. A sort of time travel.

I bought my first Saab 96 when I was in my early 20s. That was in the early 80s. I was thinner and had more (and longer)hair. I felt like a king in my Saab. My first wife loved these cars as well. We drove to all corners of NW Europe with it.

Fast forward 40 yrs and another marriage... Today I met a young lad and girl in a Saab 96. The car looked like a run-down doghouse, but it ran flawlessly, sounded good and the fine-looking young people (both in their 20s) had obviously lots of fun driving the car. I pretended to be interested in the car. Over the years, I had a few of these and still have one, so we had enough to talk about. But in reality, I envied their youth, their optimism and their shared happiness owning a Saab 96. It reminded me of myself; and yes, the young lad also had black hair, like I used to have. In a way, a sort of time travel.

I wished them many happy miles in the car and I was absolutely honest about it. When they drove off, I was left with a sort of mixed feeling: I enjoyed their enthusiasm and optimism. On the other hand, it made me sad that I'm 40 yrs ahead of them. Perhaps it also has to do with the fact that I didn't expect young people in a Saab.

It's not often that I want to be young(er) again. But this time? Yes. Sounds familiar?
    Last edited by thieuster; 21st August 2022 at 23:43.

Blog Entries
    No. Quit the opposite. I love being the age I am (in my 60s). I have a lovely wife and beautiful house. Financially secure. I don’t need to work for anyone else. It was a hard slog but I got where I want to be. I wouldn’t want to be in my 20s or 30s or 40s - it looks like hell.

Ok I don’t have so much hair but that’s ok and my skin is wrinkly and I ache when I wake up - but all these things I can deal with. I’m probably fitter now than in my 20s as I look after myself more. I know my limits and still exceed them for fun.

I intend to enjoy life. OK 20 year olds sure look pretty I give you that!

(provocative post - well done OP)
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

I second thanking the OP.

There's good news, though - you're as young today as you'll ever be, so get out and do things! I enjoy your posts, thieuster - maybe because I have a close friend in Leiden and am always popping over to your part of the world. May (with this post) because I've owned a couple of Saabs in my time.

Maybe because I've recently turned 50, and am closer to the end than the start. There's a lot to be said for reminding oneself that you're not the first to think like this. Poems like At Grass, or High Windows, both by Larkin, remind us that parts of our experience are universal.

Now, go on - back to your chicken coop and make something. :)

Red face

You're only as young as the woman you feel... ;)

What were those real fast ones called - Carlson, Ruby? Always fancied one of those!

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

I owned a T reg black Saab 900 T16S back in the day, it was great fun, especially when the turbo kicked in and it was certainly more interesting then all the vanilla crap around today.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk