closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 269 of 364 FirstFirst ... 169219259267268269270271279319 ... LastLast
Results 13,401 to 13,450 of 18177

Thread: More bike related stuff

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Metalic Mud View Post
    Yes possibly I might just buy a bike from someone who doesn’t know what a full stop or comma is my mate can’t read or write he is now about 63 lovely fella and loves his bikes very honest and not at all worried about money always carries piles of cash with him and if he sees something he likes he just buys it I wouldn’t think twice about buying any of his bikes in-fact he used to ask me to write the advert for him ;0)
    Nothing to do with the lack of punctuation, I was referring to the noisy shim which never bothered him and you can replace it if you’re fussy.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 22nd August 2022 at 16:49.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post

And yeah, best thread on the site by far, for me anyway. Always my go to thread. It full of good types who understand each other and their love for bikes. Rarely a spat, and good info, advice and banter.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    This ^^^^^^^^^ all day long , there is a cycling thread also on TZ , same mentality, acceptance of diverse choices and very different fitness levels, yet no spats or dummy throwing. This place can be nice :)

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    This ^^^^^^^^^ all day long , there is a cycling thread also on TZ , same mentality, acceptance of diverse choices and very different fitness levels, yet no spats or dummy throwing. This place can be nice :)
    Just wait until it’s renamed “ More Harley Davidson related stuff!”

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

everytime i hear the word 'harley davidson' all i can think of is this film

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

I do like my Harley, never had one before in 30+ years of riding but it could never be my only bike. Too many great machines out there.

Well spotted chaps! Don't think it vibrated off though. This thing is smooth as silk. It does appear to be missing in the showroom but like an excited child I didn't see it and really don't care!

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

The new plate was delivered today, much prefer the look of the smaller plates.

Just bung on a slightly smaller plate…………….

You really only get challenged on it if you fail the attitude test on something else

Jeez Tony, who’’d have thought you’’d have one of those beasts at the start of this amazing thread. In fact, read back your original ‘requirements’ and look at the bikes you’ve had. They are addictive and you always want a change dont you. You were warned way back . Looks lovely, not my type of bike but I do get the appeal.

Stuart
    Mmmmm…… after 3 posts, I had him down as “I’d really like to wear chaps and lace-sided leather jeans”.

Surprised it took so long, to be honest.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

You really only get challenged on it if you fail the attitude test on something else
    Not in N Wales… undersized, miss spaced letters, undersized digits. = Ł100 fine, no ifs no buts.. no oh it was fitted when I bought it.

A couple of weeks ago my mate was pulled up for an undersized plate that, when he insisted the cop actually measured it, turned out to be 100% legal.. (my mate knew it was legal)

The officer had to rip up the paperwork and let him on his way..

I always used to run undersized plates, but not anymore, it’s just not worth the hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Not in N Wales… undersized, miss spaced letters, undersized digits. = Ł100 fine, no ifs no buts.. no oh it was fitted when I bought it.

A couple of weeks ago my mate was pulled up for an undersized plate that, when he insisted the cop actually measured it, turned out to be 100% legal.. (my mate knew it was legal)

The officer had to rip up the paperwork and let him on his way..

I always used to run undersized plates, but not anymore, it’s just not worth the hassle.
    Not seen that level of overzealous policing in Scotland.

But- I’d have given you a fixed penalty notice, for saying that you ‘run’ undersized plates!

The plate flipped round is the new smaller plate that I will fit. I flipped it so I could see a better contrast with size comparison, apparently it is the smallest legal size. Just need to submit the new reg with the insurance before I change it over.

Master
    It’s more to do with the size of the numbers/letters and the border than the actual size of the plate …. I thought
    Al depends on your number plate but I’d be suprised if that’s legal
    That said you may have very few digits in the plate
    Last edited by lewie; 22nd August 2022 at 22:31.

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    It’s more to do with the size of the numbers/letters and the border than the actual size of the plate …. I thought
    Al depends on your number plate but I’d be suprised if that’s legal
    That said you may have very few digits in the plate
    Yes, only 5 digits so the letters and numbers are all correctly spaced.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    Yes, only 5 digits so the letters and numbers are all correctly spaced.
    That’s the way to do it….JDM plates if anyones interested… he’ll make the smallest legal plate and give you can have depending on the number of characters in the plate…

My mate that was stopped the other week had a JDM plate and as I said when the cop measured it he had to let him go..😎

https://www.jdmplates.co.uk/smallest...number-plates/

That’s the way to do it….JDM plates if anyones interested… he’ll make the smallest legal plate and give you can have depending on the number of characters in the plate…

My mate that was stopped the other week had a JDM plate and as I said when the cop measured it he had to let him go..đźŽ

https://www.jdmplates.co.uk/smallest...number-plates/
    That’s where I got this one, it also comes with a wallet friendly sized card to show the local constabulary that explains it is legal should you be inclined to carry it.

Not sure what you mean here, they are pretty standard sizes available from most manufacturers?

Stuart

I can only relate his woes. I have no trouble getting tyres for mine, having been around for 40 years! The X Country hardly uses tyres, the current ones have clocked over 26,000 miles now. Although I did make a mistake and put TKC80s on it... dear God, it was like riding a pneumatic drill and the rear was shot in 5000 miles.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Quote Originally Posted by Kairos View Post
    I can only relate his woes. I have no trouble getting tyres for mine, having been around for 40 years! The X Country hardly uses tyres, the current ones have clocked over 26,000 miles now. Although I did make a mistake and put TKC80s on it... dear God, it was like riding a pneumatic drill and the rear was shot in 5000 miles.
    You are aware my new bike is a Ducati Streetfighter V2? It uses very readily available standard sized road / sport tyres from most major manufacturers. I cant foresee any problems in supply, and I certainly cant see getting anywhere near 26k from them. I dont understand your friends issues, unless he was trying to put non standard sizes, or knobbly type rubber on his bike. But why would you do that on a V2?

Stuart

I'm guessing the suzuki but it is a beauty. I imagine both are great fun.

The Gixxer 750 is a belting bike, and (to me at least) is as much power as you can ever use on UK roads. Great track bike too, I reckon.

Master
    Had a 180 mile ride out today on the V85TT. The highlight was the glorious A483 between Newtown and Crossgates, stopping off at the greasy spoon for lunch and then back north on the 488. Great roads which are sometimes spoiled by traffic but today, were pretty empty.

Master
    Forgive me, I'm an interloper here as I have no bike.

Anyway, saw Henry Cole filming in Royal Wootton Bassett today. Apparently doing something about Wiltshire.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    Had a 180 mile ride out today on the V85TT. The highlight was the glorious A483 between Newtown and Crossgates, stopping off at the greasy spoon for lunch and then back north on the 488. Great roads which are sometimes spoiled by traffic but today, were pretty empty.

That’s a fairly regular run for us… but rather than the greasy spoon at Crossgates, we stop off in Clun.. little cafe by the bridge👍👍

Master
    That’s a fairly regular run for us… but rather than the greasy spoon at Crossgates, we stop off in Clun.. little cafe by the bridge
    Cheers Enoch. I'll look into that one - although Double sausage, double egg and chips for four quid makes a compelling argument for the greasy spoon.

Master
    Cheers Enoch. I'll look into that one - although Double sausage, double egg and chips for four quid makes a compelling argument for blocked arteries.
    Here you go Downer fixed it for you
    Steve

Master
    Here you go Downer fixed it for you
    Steve
    Thanks. It’s always good to be reminded that motorcycling Is a dangerous pastime.

Master
    Thanks. It’s always good to be reminded that motorcycling Is a dangerous pastime.
    Two of the bike shops I visit on my ride outs are A&J in Denbigh and KTM Ellesmere Port. Both have butty bars, AJ’s has TWO. What chance do us svelte bikers have for our figure :)

You are aware my new bike is a Ducati Streetfighter V2? It uses very readily available standard sized road / sport tyres from most major manufacturers. I cant foresee any problems in supply, and I certainly cant see getting anywhere near 26k from them. I dont understand your friends issues, unless he was trying to put non standard sizes, or knobbly type rubber on his bike. But why would you do that on a V2?

Stuart

Yes, as far as I know his is also a Streetfighter (I worked on the magazine from issue 1 to the very end!), he couldn't find replacement tyres for love nor money.

My x Country is a 650 single, plenty powerful enough for me thanks, 26,000 miles and I am off down to Weymouth on Thursday without any worry they will run out of rubber on the trip! There are advantages to being content with bimbling around, not least of which is 85+mpg !

Quote Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post
    Forgive me, I'm an interloper here as I have no bike.

Anyway, saw Henry Cole filming in Royal Wootton Bassett today. Apparently doing something about Wiltshire.
    I've noticed that there's only a short time between filming and release on the current series of Junk & Disorderly so it might be on TV during the current series

The Gixxer 750 is a belting bike, and (to me at least) is as much power as you can ever use on UK roads. Great track bike too, I reckon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    I reckon the GSXR 750 is probably the pick of the bunch. Most of the usable power of a 1000 but with the handling of a 600, the perfect track day tool.
    Just may know of one for sale
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Dropped down to 30 for a local village where the cameras often sit and got passed at a very high rate of knots by an electric bicycle. The way he shot past the cars in front of me, I guess at 40-50mph. No helmet, shorts and tee shirt! He was wearing cool shades though! Just slightly fatter tyres than a normal road bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    Why are you selling?
    Just not getting as much of a buzz from track riding of late. Getting a bit more cautious as I get older.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    Dropped down to 30 for a local village where the cameras often sit and got passed at a very high rate of knots by an electric bicycle. The way he shot past the cars in front of me, I guess at 40-50mph. No helmet, shorts and tee shirt! He was wearing cool shades though! Just slightly fatter tyres than a normal road bike.
    Could have been a Suron, lots of knicked ones appearing in Delamere Forest, wickedly quick and very fancy.

Had to laugh , last year cycling down a river path next to the Dee. Along comes a Yoof on a field bike, loud exhaust, no plates, no lid or jacket. But he was wearing a blue paper mask………….safety first :)

Master
    A day in the Welsh mountains👍😎

Blog Entries
    A day in the Welsh mountains

I take it your recuperation is going to plan
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

MV sorted for collection on the 1st.

I think a couple of days over the border into Italy could be in order. Toying with the idea of swapping the MV pipes for a fruitier set up, but unless they significantly improve the sound I think it would be a waste. A single pipe slip-on like the Akro wouldn’t do the bike’s styling justice.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a handlebar bracket for a phone? I know some have better vibration protection than others. Will be used for SatNav so needs to be visible and not shake like a junkie.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I take it your recuperation is going to plan
    I’m getting there slowly… still quite nervous around traffic, but hopefully that’ll pass as I get more miles under my belt… done 7600 miles since I started riding again on May 15th👍

Had a bit of a blast around Kent this afternoon to check out my tweaked suspension settings - it was better but will benefit from the input of someone who really knows what they are doing.
    Anyway, stopped for some sustenance and a couple more tweaks (softening the damping at the rear...the bike's not mine ).

Last edited by Stanford; 24th August 2022 at 20:48.

I’m getting there slowly… still quite nervous around traffic, but hopefully that’ll pass as I get more miles under my belt… done 7600 miles since I started riding again on May 15thđź‘Ť
    Good to hear Enoch. I am missing my bike already, and your posts up on them Welsh roads aint helping. Mind you, a few more months and I’ll be joining you

Stuart

Master
    Yeah I cant wait really. Took a demo out for half a day and loved it. Typical big V Twin in traffic, but thats not what I want it for. Fair bit quicker than my RS, but with another 30 odd horses you’d expect that. Suspension seems more forgiving over bumps as well, yet it handles brilliantly. I thought the brakes weren’t as good as the RS but again, more than adequate.

Stuart

Stuart the V2 has just won “ Best naked under 1000cc” in yesterday’s MCN. They love it, all the thrills of a “ supersports bike” in a comfortable well handling frame. Looks like you and others on her have made a good choice.

Steve

Ps Ducati picked up manufacturer of the year too, just for good measure :)
    Last edited by higham5; 26th August 2022 at 07:41.

Stuart the V2 has just won “ Best naked under 1000cc” in yesterday’s MCN. They love it, all the thrills of a “ supersports bike” in a comfortable well handling frame. Looks like you and others on her have made a good choice.

Steve

Ps Ducati picked up manufacturer of the year too, just for good measure :)
    Yeah I saw that Steve. Just been back to the dealer as they had a custs one in there with Akras on it. I heard it. I ordered them .

When I took their demo out for the day it was clearly a lot quicker than my RS, well its got another 30 odd hp, but funnily it had like a two stroke power band. After about 6-7 thou things got very interesting and its most unlike a twin after that point and its clearly where the motor is happiest. Me too.

I dont think the brakes had quite the feel and bite of the RS but they are certainly not lacking. Need more lever pressure but they deffo stop you. It most certainly holds lines better than the RS. I noticed it on a particular long right hander I go round often. The RS would sort of waver and change the line ever so slightly, but the V2 just went where you were pointing it. Hard to describe really, but it just felt sort of more planted on the front? Dunno, it just may be it needs more rider input to change direction slightly, whereas the RS moved when you thought about it. It just felt better, and the RS was/is an amazing handler, but this is a notch up.

I think nakeds any more powerful are maybe a waste, you simply cant hang on due to the wind. They are comfy IMO compared to sports bikes up to say 85ish, and for short blasts into 3 figures (where allowed of course!). One of my mates had the V4 Streetfighter, but realistically could only use about half its performance. 200+hp on the road? Really?

Anyway, theres a few other nice bits going on it, and I’ll be sure to post when I get it.

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Grabbed a quick blast out this afternoon before my daughters birthday BBQ kicks off.

Saw one of these when picking up my GSA from its service, getting tempted as a few deals around.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post
    Saw one of these when picking up my GSA from its service, getting tempted as a few deals around.

Might not shout ‘hey! I’m a flat crank/Big Bang’, but in reality is the better bike with the same performance + you will reach the next petrol station.

Andy’s one has about the best livery I have seen. Might go for one after the XR.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    Anyone here ride a Triumph Speed Twin 1200? I’m becoming more and more drawn to them after they came to my notice a few months ago. You all know the routine, started with reading reviews, watching You Tube, pretending to myself I’m not really interested and now I’m at the visiting dealers stage and getting part ex valuations on my current bike.
    The only issue is, it’s completely different to any other bike I’ve owned. My past 3 bikes have all been adventure bikes. I currently ride an Africa Twin 1100 which for me, is the ideal bike for 95% of the riding I do. I’m interested if any one else has made a similar transition to a Speed Twin and how did they find it? Can you still do a long day out on it on a variety of roads and road surfaces? I live in the North East can typically take me from fast twisty open roads to moorland roads with grass growing up the middle!
    How would it fare on a week in Scotland or Europe? I know you could technically do this on any bike but it would be nice to hear what current owners think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quick bump for my previous post. Anyone here got some real world experience on a Speed Twin 1200? I’m hoping to have a test ride on one at my local triumph dealer however they don’t have any in stock at the moment.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    Quick bump for my previous post. Anyone here got some real world experience on a Speed Twin 1200? I’m hoping to have a test ride on one at my local triumph dealer however they don’t have any in stock at the moment.

No experience of that particular model, but have owned 2 bobbers, and a Speedmaster and have another Speedmaster coming next month and also have 2=mates with Thruxton R’s. So what I can say is that we all love the 1200 twin. It’s a cracking motor and very useable in real world motoring.

I think the speed twin is around 100 Bhp, which is all you really need 99% of the time, but it’s the torque and smoothness that I like. It’s also a very efficient unit and easily gives 60mph.

Craftsman
    Thanks Enoch, everything seems to point towards it being a great all rounder. Only problem is, so is my Africa Twin! Decisions decisions…….

Took a trip to the Wee Smokey, a classic bike run, in Arbroath earlier.

Some lovely old bikes, I've attached my favourites of the day...

Cheers,

Adam.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyloon View Post
    Took a trip to the Wee Smokey, a classic bike run, in Arbroath earlier.

Some lovely old bikes, I've attached my favourites of the day...[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220828/3b19df759c5b670e790d9a25c5a5f44c.jpg[/I

Cheers,

Adam.
    Adam I remember reading originals of those MV 150’s stacked exhausts were practically unobtainium!
    Last edited by higham5; 28th August 2022 at 15:46.

Adam I remember reading originals of those MV 150’s stacked exhausts were practically unobtainium!
    The photos don't do it justice, it was absolutely beautiful....

Cheers,

Adam.

As was the 1957 Lambretta LD150.
    It had the original dealers plate still on it...

Cheers,

Adam.