closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 270 of 362 FirstFirst ... 170220260268269270271272280320 ... LastLast
Results 13,451 to 13,500 of 18100

Thread: More bike related stuff

I reckon I got every fly in the Peak District yesterday...

765 mile round trip down to Portland for a day on my friend's boat and doing a spot of fishing... through the Chilterns, Hants Downs and across the New Forest. A bit of exploring the Dorset lanes, then back through Hardy country to Cerne Abbas giant, up through Frome to Bradford on Avon, to Warwick and home. My tyres clocked over the 27,000 miles mark too, I shall see if I can get them, albeit very squared off now, to 30,000 miles, just for a giggle.

Better from this side...

Lovely ride into Essex for a spot of breakfast this morning, and found myself parked up next to a Road King and an R9T!

Col de la Madeleine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi

Anyone have any feedback for Chris Hall Motorcycles in Doncaster?

Many thanks

Sent from my CPH2207 using Tapatalk

Somewhere on Routes des Grandes Alpes

Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    Somewhere on Routes des Grandes Alpes

Great bike for exactly what you're doing. Stick some knobblies on it and take it off road. You'll be amazed how capable and versatile it is if you haven't tried already! Really like those auxiliary lights, (the 4 spot ones, not sure why you need two sets) what are they?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Really like those auxiliary lights, (the 4 spot ones, not sure why you need two sets) what are they?
    Look like Denali D4's to me... https://www.abikething.com/product/d...hnology-rev03/

Got a few more miles in over the weekend, I feel like I知 getting to know the bike a bit now.

Master
    Got out today with a few of us. Did the horse shoe pass then onto the Evo triangle.

Amazing set of roads but has average speed cameras the whole way round now so spoilt the fun.

Then went up to Bala and did the B4391 mountain road. (If you haven't done this you need to)

Traffic was brutal today but still a very enjoyable 6 hours out with the lads

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bigweb; 29th August 2022 at 20:15.

Craftsman
    Lancaster / Stavanger / Fishguard, Norway / UK

Bought a BMW R1200Rt! 2014. Local. Should be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Which fuel pack is on there for the Stage 2?
    Just been chatting on the phone to a guy at Warr's HD on the King's Road, where they did the stage 1 and 2 upgrades together. The work consisted of:

V&H FP3 fuelpack (not included at the point of sale, but a new unit on order for me FOC)
    S&S 2 into 1 exhaust system
    Screamin' Eagle air intake/filter
    Torque cam

At the same time they popped on a set of 4" up & back bar risers, which I hadn't even noticed, but which are no doubt the reason it's such a comfortable riding position for me.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 31st August 2022 at 12:42.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigweb View Post
    Got out today with a few of us. Did the horse shoe pass then onto the Evo triangle.

Amazing set of roads but has average speed cameras the whole way round now so spoilt the fun.

Then went up to Bala and did the B4391 mountain road. (If you haven't done this you need to)

Traffic was brutal today but still a very enjoyable 6 hours out with the lads
    Next time try the A5105 from Cerrigydrudion to Ruthin. 14 miles of twistiest mostly well surfaced no cameras and once in Ruthin you have the Chain n Sprocket Cafe, owned by a biker whom was fed up with crappy food so started his own cafe. Run by his daughters.👍

Oh he has a biker night every Wednesday (summer) 5pm to 8pm menu is always a surprise but always good..
    Home made chicken ham n leak pie with mash is my favourite so far😎

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restau...les_Wales.html

Master
    Ticked over 5k miles on my Tiger this morning - on a ride around the Staffordshire Moorlands...

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    Ticked over 5k miles on my Tiger this morning - on a ride around the Staffordshire Moorlands...

What痴 the verdict after 5k miles? What did you have before?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    What痴 the verdict after 5k miles? What did you have before?
    I swapped a 2019 R1250GS for the Tiger. The GS was a great bike. The Tiger is also a great bike.

In my opinion, the Tiger drivetrain is more engaging, particularly the gearbox and quickshifter, which is loads better. Both bikes handle well but differently. The GS is great at low speeds and personally, I prefer the Tiger in faster corners. Both have good suspension systems although I'm not a super-aggressive rider so I'm definitely not the best judge. In terms of power and performance, they both offer plenty as far as I'm concerned.

I have to say the GS still beats the Tiger in some detailed areas - the dash, the sat nav integration, the cruise control and possibly the seat comfort over long days, but the Tiger scores with some nice touches such as the blind spot warning, heated seats (with a proper switch), big tank (30l vs 20l in my case), better windscreen and overall the bike keeps more muck off the rider than the GS. All these points are pretty trivial but they add up over the miles.

Overall, I have no regrets. For sure, choosing another GS would have been fine - a safe decision, but the Tiger is a welcome change, and I'm happy I made the switch.

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Great bike for exactly what you're doing. Stick some knobblies on it and take it off road. You'll be amazed how capable and versatile it is if you haven't tried already! Really like those auxiliary lights, (the 4 spot ones, not sure why you need two sets) what are they?
    Denali D4

Just bought Honda Monkey bike.
    Due to be delivered Friday

Last bike was a Yamaha FS1E

Midl-life crisis I think

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Just bought Honda Monkey bike.
    Due to be delivered Friday

Last bike was a Yamaha FS1E

Midl-life crisis I think

Miles of smiles. If you are on Facebook there is a healthy following.
    Some possible upgrades for you to consider
    1) If its new watch the oem tyres, they are a type of Nylon Rubber that are a bit squirrely when its wet.
    2) New monkeys have upgraded rear suspension, if its pre owned and you are 12 stone plus you may want to look at aftermarket rear shocks for an improved ride.

Upgrades I was undecided about. There is a strong following to drop a tooth on the front sprocket 15->14 from memory. This lowers the top speed in each gear but makes the bike feel faster off the line and arguably makes the bike faster as you can rev out each gear. Standard gearing on the monk achieves 180 plus mpg if driven carefully.

I did the change ( its only a tenner for the sprocket) but the ABS light occasionally came on and the speedo over reported by 5%.

Yoshimura RS3 zorsts, most folk buy them 」450 fit them , cant stand the noise and flog off for 」400 weeks old. Its a 9 hp 125, performance exhausts are not needed.

This was mine

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjones3 View Post

Bought a BMW R1200Rt! 2014. Local. Should be fun.

Great bikes! I really enjoy mine. I am tempted by the latest R1250RT though.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    1) If its new watch the oem tyres, they are a type of Nylon Rubber that are a bit squirrely when its wet.
    2) New monkeys have upgraded rear suspension, if its pre owned and you are 12 stone plus you may want to look at aftermarket rear shocks for an improved ride.

Upgrades I was undecided about. There is a strong following to drop a tooth on the front sprocket 15->14 from memory. This lowers the top speed in each gear but makes the bike feel faster off the line and arguably makes the bike faster as you can rev out each gear. Standard gearing on the monk achieves 180 plus mpg if driven carefully.

I did the change ( its only a tenner for the sprocket) but the ABS light occasionally came on and the speedo over reported by 5%.

Yoshimura RS3 zorsts, most folk buy them 」450 fit them , cant stand the noise and flog off for 」400 weeks old. Its a 9 hp 125, performance exhausts are not needed.

This was mine

Excellent advice, thankyou, do you still have one?

Master

No , sold it on here about two years ago. We moved house so the stable was reduced substantially:(

Last weekend, I decided to take my 22 year old BMW R850GS to Cornwall, a 700 mile round trip.

I bought the bike beginning of April and it has only let me down once (when the seal around the oil filler cap gave way and then cap came shooting off on the motorway, which led to a minor breakdown). Nevertheless, I've never done a long trip on the bike so I was a little nervous when setting off.

All of that trepidation was misplaced, the bike was perfect. I even got off the other side and went for a run, no back pain at all after a 6 hour ride!

Amazing what 」2k can buy you.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

This was mine
    Where does the speedo get its input from, if changing the sprockets alters it?

It would need to be a computation of engine speed/gear - to do that.

Pretty sure it will be from a sensor on front or rear wheel, and that accuracy is unaffected.

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Where does the speedo get its input from, if changing the sprockets alters it?

It would need to be a computation of engine speed/gear - to do that.

Pretty sure it will be from a sensor on front or rear wheel, and that accuracy is unaffected.
    These days, lots of speedo take off points are on the front sprocket cover. It痴 all electronic, counting the pulses as the teeth pass by the sensor. As it is just counting the teeth passing, the engine speed and gear are unimportant.

Obviously, it痴 calibrated for the OE gearing, any deviation from that will make the Speedo read either fast or slow.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 1st September 2022 at 09:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    These days, lots of speedo take off points are on the front sprocket cover. It痴 all electronic, counting the pulses as the teeth pass by the sensor. As it is just counting the teeth passing, the engine speed and gear are unimportant.

Obviously, it痴 calibrated for the OE gearing, any deviation from that will make the Speedo read either fast or slow.
    Ah-hah! That would make sense. I壇 be worried about chain-lube build up, though.

Craftsman

Lots also use one of the ABS rings.

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by kildareman View Post
    Lots also use one of the ABS rings.
    I知 behind the times these days, abs isn稚 a thing on any of my bikes.

The monkey is clearly from the front sprocket though.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 1st September 2022 at 10:12.

You can fit an electronic corrector which will take care of sprocket changes from these guys.

Craftsman
    I知 behind the times these days, abs isn稚 a thing on any of my bikes.

The monkey is clearly from the front sprocket though.
    Yes that would be right. I have an 11 Tiger 800 pre abs (just) and the front sprocket was used.

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    I swapped a 2019 R1250GS for the Tiger. The GS was a great bike. The Tiger is also a great bike.

In my opinion, the Tiger drivetrain is more engaging, particularly the gearbox and quickshifter, which is loads better. Both bikes handle well but differently. The GS is great at low speeds and personally, I prefer the Tiger in faster corners. Both have good suspension systems although I'm not a super-aggressive rider so I'm definitely not the best judge. In terms of power and performance, they both offer plenty as far as I'm concerned.

I have to say the GS still beats the Tiger in some detailed areas - the dash, the sat nav integration, the cruise control and possibly the seat comfort over long days, but the Tiger scores with some nice touches such as the blind spot warning, heated seats (with a proper switch), big tank (30l vs 20l in my case), better windscreen and overall the bike keeps more muck off the rider than the GS. All these points are pretty trivial but they add up over the miles.

Overall, I have no regrets. For sure, choosing another GS would have been fine - a safe decision, but the Tiger is a welcome change, and I'm happy I made the switch.
    Interesting, but not a surprise. Some might say that Triumph have better build quality too.

Any apps or websites anyone can recommend for planning a trip? The MV has now arrived, and I plan to ride to Florence tomorrow afternoon. I don稚 want to simply use the motorways when the countryside is so stunning.

Master
    I used. Scenic when I was in Cyprus

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    Any apps or websites anyone can recommend for planning a trip? The MV has now arrived, and I plan to ride to Florence tomorrow afternoon. I don稚 want to simply use the motorways when the countryside is so stunning.
    Calimoto or My Route App. I use the free web versions.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Many thanks. I値l download and have a look.

Have to say, the MV is super impressive.

Craftsman

I do! Most fun I致e had on a bike for years. I fitted a rear rack to strap a bag too, and a fender extender to keep the crud off the front of the engine.

KTM 1290 Super Adventure S

Austria trip

Living it up !

Great ride from Stockport to Macclesfield, Whaley Bridge. Chapel, Yonderman Cafe, Monsall head, Bakewell, Matlock Bath, A515 to Buxton then cat and Fiddle.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Well I知 looking at all these pics and reading the posts, and I知 missing my bike more than I thought I would. The good weather and time on my hands has a lot to do with this. But its odd, sometimes I wouldnt go out on a good day even when I could. But now, because theres no bike in the garage its playing on my mind all the time that I actually cant. And March is such a long way off .

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Just to rub it in Stuart😁 150 miles around N Wales today, thoroughly enjoyed it.😎😁😁

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    Well I知 looking at all these pics and reading the posts, and I知 missing my bike more than I thought I would. The good weather and time on my hands has a lot to do with this. But its odd, sometimes I wouldnt go out on a good day even when I could. But now, because theres no bike in the garage its playing on my mind all the time that I actually cant. And March is such a long way off .

Stuart

I know its not a Ducati, but some Harley dealerships do bike hire, 2/3 7 day hire etc. Is it worth a google on bike hire? . We hired a GS in Malaga a couple of years ago wholst is wasnt cheap, you might get a good deal for say 28 day hire?

I know its not a Ducati, but some Harley dealerships do bike hire, 2/3 7 day hire etc. Is it worth a google on bike hire? . We hired a GS in Malaga a couple of years ago wholst is wasnt cheap, you might get a good deal for say 28 day hire?
    I know I could hire one but it痴 not the same. I have a good relationship with my local Ducati dealer and they said I could take one of theirs out for a day if I fancied a run with the lads. But to be honest I壇 be on edge, not used to the bike, and it just wouldn稚 be the same.

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Just to rub it in Stuart 150 miles around N Wales today, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Looks good! It was many years ago I was on a bike meet somewhere in north Waleshire and got introduced to the 前melette Arnold. The chef asked if it was me who had it, and was it okay. I responded with : 的t was great - you must be 羨rnold?

He told me that he had trained at the Savoy and it was one of their signature dishes.

https://www.gordonramsayrestaurants....nett-omelette/

I use Gruy鑽e rather than Parmesan, but love it as a winter supper with a few oven-chips.

Just to rub it in Stuart沽 150 miles around N Wales today, thoroughly enjoyed it.沽酒沽Å沽

You are now on my 選gnore List Andy. But hey before I put you on ze liste, its so good to see you池e getting out and about again on a bike. I知 sure we値l catch up round Wales in a few months.

Stuart

Master
    You are now on my ‘Ignore List’ Andy. But hey before I put you on ze liste, its so good to see you’re getting out and about again on a bike. I’m sure we’ll catch up round Wales in a few months.

Stuart

Seriously Stuart… you’re welcome to borrow one of my bikes if you fancy a day out..

Oh by the way… at least 100 Harley’s rode past the Pondarosa today whilst I was having a coffee.. saw them later at the eisteddfod centre in LLan
    Last edited by Enoch; 2nd September 2022 at 18:26.

Master
    Seriously Stuart you池e welcome to borrow one of my bikes if you fancy a day out..

Oh by the way at least 100 Harley痴 rode past the Pondarosa today whilst I was having a coffee.. saw them later at the eisteddfod centre in LLan
    Andrew , its a three day Hog festival. I was getting my KTM seen at Chester KTM / Harley on Tuesday and there were posters up. 」35 for three days plus music, sounds like a good weekend as long as you like beer & rain !

Seriously Stuart窶ヲ you窶决e welcome to borrow one of my bikes if you fancy a day out..総

Oh by the way窶ヲ at least 100 Harley窶冱 rode past the Pondarosa today whilst I was having a coffee.. saw them later at the eisteddfod centre in LLan
    Hey Andy that is such a kind offer. I will take you off ze liste as you have well and truly redeemed yourself there . To be honest M8 I am gagging to get out on a bike again but I have resigned myself it ain稚 happening till March. If things change though I値l get in touch.

I have been at The Pond when the same happened last year. Loads of em. I actually found it weird they didnt stop as its well known for its biker hospitality.

Stuart

Master
    Andrew , its a three day Hog festival. I was getting my KTM seen at Chester KTM / Harley on Tuesday and there were posters up. 」35 for three days plus music, sounds like a good weekend as long as you like beer & rain !
    And beer guts. Not my scene at all I知 afraid.

Hey Andy that is such a kind offer. I will take you off ze liste as you have well and truly redeemed yourself there . To be honest M8 I am gagging to get out on a bike again but I have resigned myself it ain稚 happening till March. If things change though I値l get in touch.

I have been at The Pond when the same happened last year. Loads of em. I actually found it weird they didnt stop as its well known for its biker hospitality.

Stuart

What about rebuilding the TTR250 on SC and using it as a winter hack!
    Get some knobblies on it and really see what Wales is about!