closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car insurance claim help

Car insurance claim help

Hi guys - thought i'd ask the collective for some advice/opinions...

Son had an accident in SWMBO's car. He is a named driver. Wife is the proposer, fully comp with protected NCB. At renewal if she no longer adds son to the policy does she need to advise insurance regarding this claim? I've had a google and different people saying different things - let me know your thought!

regrards

aq

Grand Master
    Without the full story it’s impossible to advise accurately, but if the accident resulted in a claim on the policy that will be obvious. Regardless of who was driving the policy is in he name and she was the one making the claim.

I certainly don’t advise trying to be economical with the truth where insurance is concerned.

- - - Updated - - -

Without the full story it’s impossible to advise accurately, but if the accident resulted in a claim on the policy that will be obvious. Regardless of who was driving the policy is in he name and she was the one making the claim.

I certainly don’t advise trying to be economical with the truth where insurance is concerned.

Master
    If he is claiming from his insurance on his own car policy, then that would work. However these are usually 3rd party only in allowing him to drive other cars with permission unless paying a significant premium.

If he had the accident as only a named driver in your wife’s car, then the claim is in her insurance for that vehicle, no escaping it but removing him. There may be some savings come renewal in removing him, but your wife will have made a claim on the policy and will now have to declare for 5yrs or however long this is.

Don’t risk trying to play silly buggers, you may get insurance refused and then that becomes a world of pain as need to disclose that too.

Think you are just going to have to bite the bullet and either go through insurance or see the costs of repairing yourself if nobody else was involved (ie single car incident) and you have not yet informed them of an accident.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by amalgam786 View Post
    Hi guys - thought i'd ask the collective for some advice/opinions...

Son had an accident in SWMBO's car. He is a named driver. Wife is the proposer, fully comp with protected NCB. At renewal if she no longer adds son to the policy does she need to advise insurance regarding this claim? I've had a google and different people saying different things - let me know your thought!

regrards

aq

Yes your wife is claiming.

It is all on a data base, so when she applies for insurance they will know she has made a claim

Master
    Ask the insurance company. I’d have thought the claim goes against your son so if he is not on the new policy no need to mention it. I would check that with insurance company though to be sure.

Master
    It'll be on the MID database so yes - fess up.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Ask the insurance company. I’d have thought the claim goes against your son so if he is not on the new policy no need to mention it. I would check that with insurance company though to be sure.
    The fault is with the driver, the claim with the policyholder

Journeyman
    Just answer any questions from the next insurer honestly and go from there. It's up to them to ask pertinent questions and not for your wife to offer information that may not be asked.

Yes, a claim is being made on your wife's policy so it needs to be declared.

thanks all!!

Yeah it seems as stated above that the claim is against the policy and so wife will have to declare going forward

Never had to consider any of this before until now, so on the comparison sites if you click the more info tabs it does state clearly there about mentioning any claims even those by named drivers on past policies!