closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 272 of 365 FirstFirst ... 172222262270271272273274282322 ... LastLast
Results 13,551 to 13,600 of 18250

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Would it be feasible to make a wooden U shaped frame to fit around the back wheel, from the rear and sat under the swinging arm - a paddock stand could then be used on this - essentially lowering the swinging arm ?
    Just a though
    I’m pretty sure it’s going to be a centre stand for now, wasn’t my first choice but a decent stand seems out of the question until I change the exhausts.

More bike related stuff

First on the scene tonight outside my house with my wife and son!

Young girl in Mercedes 4x4 decided to do a u-turn from her parked position and took out a fellow biker!

Scene and screaming was horrendous, bikers lower half of right leg was hanging off, but luckily my neighbour and fellow Paras were able to help us apply a belt as a tourniquet to stem the loss of blood.

I know as bikers it’s not a lovely reminder, but poor bastard was only doing 30mph and needed to stay near the middle of the road due to the parked cars either side and was not prepared for the stupid cow who didn’t bother to look!

Three ambulances, air ambulance and police were on the scene within 10 minutes, which is a credit to them all considering the bad press they receive these days!

Can’t describe the blood curdling screams from the biker, though I did lie and tell him he was going to be ok, though not sure they will be able to save his leg. Bloody awful to be honest, and worse still for my wife as a timely reminder to see first hand how dangerous biking is for both her husband and our son.

Hope they can save this guys leg at Adam Brooks.

Be safe out there fellow bikers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Chinnock; 7th September 2022 at 21:59.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post

Young girl in Mercedes 4x4 decided to do a u-turn from her parked position and took out a fellow biker!

Scene and screaming was horrendous, bikers lower half of right leg was hanging off, but luckily my neighbour and fellow Paras were able to help us apply a belt as a tourniquet to stem the loss of blood.

I know as bikers it’s not a lovely reminder, but poor bastard was only doing 30mph and needed to stay near the middle of the road due to the parked cars either side and was not prepared for the stupid cow who didn’t bother to look!

Three ambulances, air ambulance were police were on the scene within 10 minutes, which is a credit to them all considering the bad press they receive these days!

Can’t describe the blood curdling screams from the biker, though I did lie and tell him he was going to be ok, though not sure they will be able to save his leg. Bloody awful to be honest, and worse still for my wife as a timely reminder to see first hand how dangerous biking is for both her husband and our son.

Hope they can save this guys leg at Adambrooks.

Almost exactly the same thing happened to a mate of mine nearly 40 years ago. Except he was going more like 10mph - he was a courier looking for an address and someone swung out quickly from parked.

I hope this chap has a better outcome than my mate who lost his leg and couldn't cope with life without it.

Three ambulances, air ambulance and police were on the scene within 10 minutes, which is a credit to them all considering the bad press they receive these days!

Hope they can save this guys leg at Adam Brooks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Very sobering. Good luck to the rider and I hope the driver has a conscience.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Almost exactly the same thing happened to a mate of mine nearly 40 years ago. Except he was going more like 10mph - he was a courier looking for an address and someone swung out quickly from parked.

I hope this chap has a better outcome than my mate who lost his leg and couldn't cope with life without it.
    That is just sh1t. Poor bugger. How you can change someone else's life in an instant is rarely pondered on, we think of things like this but how often do we consider that it could be one of our decisions that has a lasting effect, however unplanned.

Bloody awful
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    That’s horrendous.

I’m back to biking after a 12-year absence following a 30mph crash on a diesel slick that resulted in 11 breaks.

I hope this chap has good outcome. I definitely ride like everyone is out to kill me.

Master
    Good job Chinnock and those involved, my respect for the emergency services never diminishes.
    Just awful that somebody is in the wrong place at the wrong time, no doubt the driver seems to blame but they won't have set out to injure anyone so will have to live with that, whereas mostv of us will have some something daft at some point but gotten away with it. You just never know what's going to happen. I cycle on roads, although it's not my favourite pastime because of the potential dangers and you can only mitigate them so far.
    I hope the biker makes a full recovery.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ser3 J View Post
    That’s horrendous.

I’m back to biking after a 12-year absence following a 30mph crash on a diesel slick that resulted in 11 breaks.

I hope this chap has good outcome. I definitely ride like everyone is out to kill me.
    Ultimately this is why I gave up riding on the road. I'd seen too many mates get hurt (and a few killed) so I took up track days, got really good, was building a race bike, then saw a guy get killed at Cadwell, right in front of me. Subconsciously I just stopped riding then - did a few hundred miles a year on my bikes for a year or so, then sold everything. I'm toying with the idea of an enduro bike as I love playing on bikes in the woods, but I can't see me road riding again.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    Ultimately this is why I gave up riding on the road. I'd seen too many mates get hurt (and a few killed) so I took up track days, got really good, was building a race bike, then saw a guy get killed at Cadwell, right in front of me. Subconsciously I just stopped riding then - did a few hundred miles a year on my bikes for a year or so, then sold everything. I'm toying with the idea of an enduro bike as I love playing on bikes in the woods, but I can't see me road riding again.
    With an accident like this would be just as easy in a push bike - I do both - makes you think

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    With an accident like this would be just as easy in a push bike - I do both - makes you think
    If anything more likely, but with less serious consequences.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    If anything more likely, but with less serious consequences.
    I agree.

I was riding a year old GXSR750 (lovely motorcycle). It was a write off. Bars snapped and bent the forks/frame. Part of that was the weight of the bike at impact.

My present steed is a RE Himalayan - a huge reduction in power but lovely to potter along the lanes.

Just gone over the 500 mile mark, and I'm loving the Harley more and more. So nice to be back on a bike that makes me smile, and had some great conversations at the Ace Cafe and Elstree Aerodrome today with fellow hog owners

Drove across the Pyrenees today from Spain into France. Sun was shining. Incredible to see the number of bikes out and I'd say easily 70% GS's, 10% BMW K's and a real random mix of everything else. Was just amazed to see the sheer number of bikes on the road. Highly recommended the route from Pamplona across the Pyrenees through the national park. Brilliant roads for bikers and stunning views in every direction.

I got back, yesterday, from a 6 day, 1200 mile, trip into Germany and some brilliant roads.
    I've been to the same area (near Cochem) a few times and it never fails to deliver exciting or just plain lovely rides.
    Needed summer gear most of the time, just wet gear for the journey home.

One of the tamer roads:

...and a fairly typical view on almost any major river (this was the Rhine):

The boys were in Epping again today!

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Drove across the Pyrenees today from Spain into France. Sun was shining. Incredible to see the number of bikes out and I'd say easily 70% GS's, 10% BMW K's and a real random mix of everything else. Was just amazed to see the sheer number of bikes on the road. Highly recommended the route from Pamplona across the Pyrenees through the national park. Brilliant roads for bikers and stunning views in every direction.
    I’m there just now, love the place, second only to the Provence Alpes………..
    (Col D’Aubisque)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deleted.
    Last edited by Bigstam; 11th September 2022 at 20:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigstam View Post

Cheers

Ross
    Take it to sales corner then! If you’ve read ANY of this thread, you’ll see it isnt a sales thread.
    Last edited by blackal; 11th September 2022 at 21:05.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Take it to sales corner then! If you’ve read ANY of this thread, you’ll see it isnt a sales thread.
    He can’t, he hasn’t enough posts.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Apologies, I will remove it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigstam View Post
    Apologies, I will remove it.
    Not in the market for one Stam but that is a good looking R9T.

Not in the market for one Stam but that is a good looking R9T.
    Agreed, they’re a good looking bike to start with but look great with a few tasteful mods.

Master

More bike related stuff

Had the chance to participate in the BMW GS Challenge 2022 in Wales. It was an amazing weekend, and the on-road and off-road challenges were superb - fun, technically challenging, competitive, but also a chance to enjoy the beautiful Brecons. Learned a great deal, and will definitely be signing up for it again next year. May actually do the OffRoadSkills courses to improve my own abilities.

Last edited by spareparts; 11th September 2022 at 21:56.

Looks great SP. Always great to take the GS off road. Way more capable than I am for sure. A friend did the GS off road skills course and also the Harley Pan America course and he said the Harley one was much better and more focused on the actual rider. That and he got to take the Pan America off road which he said (as a very experienced rider) was one of the best bikes he'd ever used off road. Definitely worth a try. I'm booking a weekend myself!

Master
    Looks great SP. Always great to take the GS off road. Way more capable than I am for sure. A friend did the GS off road skills course and also the Harley Pan America course and he said the Harley one was much better and more focused on the actual rider. That and he got to take the Pan America off road which he said (as a very experienced rider) was one of the best bikes he'd ever used off road. Definitely worth a try. I'm booking a weekend myself!
    At the Summer Adventure Bike festival there was an off-road course. Harley D had a big presence there and their fleet of Pan Americas were going out all day. The only bike that garned more attention was the new offroad Ducati Desert X. BMW maybe the current king but there are lots of “ big” adventure bikes yapping at their heels.

Steve

Master
    Simon Pavey and several of the other instructors (9 Dakars between them!) were all there - it was superb watching them set benchmark times for everyone to compete against in the challenges. They make the GS look like it is half the size/weight it is. What was really impressive though was seeing how the GSes provided were thoroughly abused, dropped, crashed, bounced off rocks, bounced and crashed at speed, stalled countless times, and every one of them just kept starting first time on the button without a thing needing adjustment or whatever.
    After seeing what they went through that weekend - over 150 amateur competitors who tended to crash more than the pros - I'm enthralled but would also be petrified to buy a used Rallye-spec GS with low miles and BMW as the only owner!

About to go through the Alps. Literally.

Just loving this bike! The power, performance and handling is amazing, and the styling is just stunning!

“Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post

That’s the famous seafaring knot: The Chinese Dhoby-hitch.

Just loving this bike! The power, performance and handling is amazing, and the styling is just stunning!

Lovely, mate. Although you should clearly be on a Harley.

Never been a fan of the Diavel styling myself. Definitely subjective but any Ducati is going to handle better and go faster than any Harley all day long. I still love my Fat Bob though. Off the line will keep up with anything but tops out at 120. In the real world though that's all you need. Any naked is going to be a bit breezy over 80.

Very eagle-eyed of you.

It was funny discovering a few pieces of thin route attached to the handrail. No proper straps. And no one bothered to guide me in or check the bike was properly stored.

Down the local roads, in sunshine, to the lakes. Glorious. Unfortunately it’s going to be cloudy tomorrow, so any photos will be dull.

It does feel rather special to ride a MV in the Italian sunshine.

Never been a fan of the Diavel styling myself. Definitely subjective but any Ducati is going to handle better and go faster than any Harley all day long. I still love my Fat Bob though. Off the line will keep up with anything but tops out at 120. In the real world though that's all you need. Any naked is going to be a bit breezy over 80.
    I wasn't suggesting anything other than the fact that Jason looks like a Harley rider. To be fair, though, the Diavel is an exceptional bike.

I hope you left it in gear! That's very precarious!

Go over the St Bernards pass into Italy. Amazing pass that was made for bikes just like yours!
    Last edited by manganr; 13th September 2022 at 18:40.

Master

I prefer that stunning Harley you had.

Have you tried the Rocket, and if so, how does it compare?

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    I prefer that stunning Harley you had.

Have you tried the Rocket, and if so, how does it compare?
    Rocket was lovely and handles exceptionally well for its size, but my first love is a Ducati, and for me the X-Diavel just blew me away!

Loved my Harley too, but for her age was not as reliable over long distances nor as comfortable. I want to do more touring, which with a 200 mile range on an 18l tank, the Ducati was perfect. TBH, it just ticks all the boxes, with a bit of every bike I’ve loved, except the price!

It also gives me a seriously big grin when riding!

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    ...the Diavel is an exceptional bike.
    I agree that the Diavel is an exceptional bike, the X not quite as much, for me

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    I agree that the Diavel is an exceptional bike, the X not quite as much, for me
    Fair point, and I've only ridden the "standard" Diavel. That said, I'm finding the mid-controls and associated riding position on the Sport Glide exceptionally comfortable.

Master
    . In the real world though that's all you need. Any naked is going to be a bit breezy over 80.
    Tell me about it! After about 10 years of Givi screens or full fairings travelling at 70 plus on my little naked Duke 390 is an eye opener, literally.
    Last edited by higham5; 13th September 2022 at 21:01.

I hope you left it in gear! That's very precarious!

Go over the St Bernards pass into Italy. Amazing pass that was made for bikes just like yours!
    I had. Always a good tip though.

Was pushed for time on this inaugural trip, but I’ll do the passes in the Spring.

Just ordered the HP Corse HydroTre. Beautiful but not cheap.

Master

Looks mega this mate!

Craftsman
    Sorry to crash this thread, but wanted to share something incredibly moving for my family that happened yesterday.

My uncle passed away recently, very sudden, in his early 50s. Left behind devastated wife and kids. We are all shocked. He lived in Kuwait and rode a Harley (sorry not sure on specifics as I know absolutely zilch about bikes). What I do know is he was member of club in Kuwait and his brothers there supported the family to a level I never would have expected. Their kindness will live long in the memory.

Anyway fast forward a few weeks and we've brought him back to the UK for funeral. Sadly of course the Kuwait brothers couldn't make it over. However my sister put the call out on Facebook.... And look who turned up to escort us from the house to the crematorium. Epic!

As we carried my uncle in, the guys were all lined up and revved us inside, with what felt like a really special and unique kind of salute. I can still feel the engine vibrations now!

If you happen to know anyone in Fife (Kirkcaldy area) who came along, please pass along our heartfelt thanks - this meant so much to us and I'm sure my Uncle was watching and absolutely loving it!

Apologies if this post is a bit out of keeping with the rest of the thread.

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jon8oy View Post
    Sorry to crash this thread, but wanted to share something incredibly moving for my family that happened yesterday...
    Sorry to hear about your uncle, but what a fantastic response you received (and so typical of the biking community, which is incredibly close-knit and supportive). I hope the day provides the family with a really positive memory.

That's a great bit of positive news to follow the tragic. What a superb send-off.

I met some of the Harley riders in Kuwait in the 90s, and they were great blokes.

Well, that beats Epping High Street...

Master

Is that Bodenmeer?

Maggiore

So I spent some time at the RST Race Dept in Mansfield this week as they had opened up a limited number of slots for non ACU licence holders to get access to the same kit and service as the race guys that they support.

What a great service and it went along these lines:

1. First you select Airbag or Non Airbag Suit
    2. They have a number of 'try on' suits so you get cracking with one of those and find something that kind of works.
    3. From there they are nipping, tucking, letting out and measuring to their hearts content to get the exact dimensions for your suit.
    4. Once all the measuring is done they then sit you with a suit designer and take you through the myriad of options available to you in the design from colours to patterns to incorporating any logos you want and whether you want a suit with sew on badges or a screen printed, the latter is more expensive but also means you get a full kangaroo leather suit. As you can guess, i went with the latter ...... thanks Chloe for all the guidance and advice ...

Whilst I was there 2 Sam Lowes suits came in for repair, they were tiny, they will deffo need more kangaroos for my suit ..... their suits come with the In & Motion airbag tech all built in so no faffing and means I can dedicate my TechAir vest for road duties.

Overall really impressed so far and this is whats coming my way in 6-7 weeks just in time for a Jerez euro with No Limits

Had a freshen up of some of my kit and I have to say the Rokker Jeans that arrived today are superb.