closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My new desk diver

Hybrid View

That’s a beautiful gilt dial you have there. Are you going to rock this as a daily? I’ve never owned a gilt dial (I do have a matte 5513 from 1978) and often had the perception that they were fragile. I might be misinformed though. Enjoy that beauty! I’ve seen some applying a small piece of tape between the lugs to protect the engravings.. just a thought

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Well worth the extra back story and pictures. Thank you for sharing this delightful watch which is a birth year for me (not that that matters). I hope it gets wrist time even with its rarity. All the best. Martyn.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Blog Entries
    Very nice. Are you saying that a leather strap wears the serial number less than the bracelet?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Very nice. Are you saying that a leather strap wears the serial number less than the bracelet?
    Hi Montello the issue seems to me that at some point in its life, a long life to be sure, the bracelet fitted to the watch had hollow end links that simply were not a perfect fit. As a result there’s clear damage to the serial number caused by rubbing, and it won’t take an awful lot more before it’s difficult if not impossible to read. The strap I’ve fitted keeps a bit of a gap between itself and the case, and from what I can see causes no friction between the lugs.

It’s a delicate balancing act. Personally I’d love to put the original expandable rivet bracelet on it but these have a horrid reputation for failing just at the wrong moment. Probably not a risk I’m willing to take!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by kinyik View Post
    That’s a beautiful gilt dial you have there. Are you going to rock this as a daily? I’ve never owned a gilt dial (I do have a matte 5513 from 1978) and often had the perception that they were fragile. I might be misinformed though. Enjoy that beauty! I’ve seen some applying a small piece of tape between the lugs to protect the engravings.. just a thought

Hi Kinyik…the tape idea sounds a smart one actually. I’ll give that a go.

Like you I had a 70s matte dial 5513, and I found myself trying to hide it from the sun all the time to stop it from ageing. Given that I was a little concerned about the 5513, I think I’ll protect this one even more, generally as the weather cools down you wear long sleeves which protects the dial, and there’s less issues with harsh sun etc. So I probably will wear it more in the winter. I suspect even then it’ll get maximum a couple of weeks out at a time before getting a break. It’s had a long life already I’ll treat it with a bit of care.

The temptation to wear this every day will be tough to resist!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike83 View Post

Like you I had a 70s matte dial 5513, and I found myself trying to hide it from the sun all the time to stop it from ageing. Given that I was a little concerned about the 5513, I think I’ll protect this one even more, generally as the weather cools down you wear long sleeves which protects the dial, and there’s less issues with harsh sun etc. So I probably will wear it more in the winter. I suspect even then it’ll get maximum a couple of weeks out at a time before getting a break. It’s had a long life already I’ll treat it with a bit of care.

Ah we share the same sentiments re UV exposure and plot bleaching.

I bet you’ll get loads of wear this winter with that beauty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike83 View Post

That’s a good idea, a carefully cut section of helicopter tape would be unnoticed.

https://www.selfadhesive.co.uk/shop-...elicopter-tape

Beautiful watch Mike, congratulations.

Around 2010, I also bought a 5512 from 1961 with the exclamation dial, from a local dealer.
    It came with its original receipt, purchased by an American serviceman from their equivalent of our NAAFI.
    Wore it all the time, but got nervous about damaging it, as I tended, still do, to wear my watches everyday.
    And finally sold it to a German dealer,