closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you take notes at work? Alternatives to the old notepad?

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    If using an iPad, you can get a screen protector that makes writing feel like it is on paper instead of being slippery.
    True, but as a consequence they ruin the image quality of the screen and wear away the nib on the pencil much faster than anticipated.

Craftsman
    I always use an old fashioned pen and notepad although I do enjoy buying and trying ‘nice’ pens for this purpose. My handwriting is shocking though and I’m pretty much the only one who can read it! I do find by handwriting something, it helps me remember it, somehow.

A lot of systems I’ve used at work allow notes to be added, which I extensively use so it’s not just handwritten notes I keep I suppose.

How easy is OneNote to use as I’ve been tempted on several occasions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably not so useful, but my writing isn’t good enough most of the time for even my own review many weeks later, and for the same reason was a bit of a nightmare with the electronic ink programs, so if possible I take someone else with me to any important meetings to take notes and type them up, or save them if they’ve used a tablet.
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries
    I can type quicker than I can write…. Tend to use my PC for note taking…. Often into a spreadsheet so I can organise and move it about

Very very rarely use a pen and pad where I can’t use my PC

I have worked for global IT companies for over 30 years, but have not found a better solution than Filofax A5 paper and dividers (other organisers are available).

I typically work with 10+ client engagements at a time, with several calls per week each.

The traditional note book becomes unwieldy as you jump forward and backward to connect the individual call notes into a project thread.

The legacy Filofax allows me to create a tab for each client and have immediate access to the full context of the engagement as it evolves over weeks and months.

Maybe it's just me, but I know that I can write on the page more efficiently than typing or scribbling on an iPad.

I've had the Filofax Finsbury for at least ten years, replacing a previous binder which became shabby after ten+ years of use.

The genuine Filofax paper is expensive, but there are many cheaper alternative suppliers of recycled A5 punched paper.
    Last edited by W124; 6th October 2022 at 08:01.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I can type quicker than I can write…. Tend to use my PC for note taking…. Often into a spreadsheet so I can organise and move it about
    Interesting way to use a spreadsheet!

Have you tried outline mode in Word?

Back in the day there used to be a very popular bit of software named PC-Outline for this specific purpose. (See also Grandview).

I still use a notepad & written to do lists.

I also put lots of calendar reminders in outlook.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

iPad mini, pencil, paperlike on the screen and OneNote. For site notes when it raining, rite in the rain notepads and a fisher space pen.

Craftsman
    I looked into the whole bullet note thing awhile ago, the only technique I found v helpful was leave the first page or two of your notebook free and write an index in it as you fill out the rest of the book.

Since getting a nice fountain pen as a gift a few years ago I’ve returned to the notebook as I really enjoy writing with it and don’t have much other call to generally.

I have used google keep on iPad Pro with pencil and did really like it, but it hasn’t stuck

Master
    I use Word, for everything or CRM once my notes have been organised

I just bring this guy with me to meetings.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Interesting way to use a spreadsheet!

Have you tried outline mode in Word?

Back in the day there used to be a very popular bit of software named PC-Outline for this specific purpose. (See also Grandview).
    Yes…. Not particularly conventional! But, I’ve made it work for me…. I have to interview people a lot in my role to get insights into how they work and what does or does not work…. Pain points/ opportunities etc. so I have a load of prompts noted on the left to guide the conversation and then make note against them in the cell to the right…. I have separate tabs for different interviews with different people…. I can then organise it, pull out key insights/ themes and distill into a broader report…. I have a web based software to upload and further organise the notes

Not sure I could achieve this on Word? I will check out the mode though - thank you!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I have separate tabs for different interviews with different people…. I can then organise it, pull out key insights/ themes and distill into a broader report[...]

Not sure I could achieve this on Word? I will check out the mode though - thank you!
    You could perhaps emulate that with separate documents in Word. Each document would equate to an Excel tab. Also you could create a template document as a kind of standardised input form.