closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: we are BIG fans of dive watches, but how many dive ?

Master

we are BIG fans of dive watches, but how many dive ?

i know a few of us dive on here 8) and a few of you are lucky to work in the sea
    i did my padi open water in mexico a few months ago,and wore my PO anyone eles use there watches for what they are made for :blackeye:

Re: we are BIG fans of dive watches, but how many dive ?

I have several 1.000 meters, two 2000 meters, but a) never dive and b) never intend to dive...

Master

Quote Originally Posted by angeche
    I have several 1.000 meters, two 2000 meters, but a) never dive and b) never intend to dive...
    why not :lol:

Journeyman

I'm bloody terrified of deep water meself! Love dive watches tho.

Closest I came was snorkelling in the great barrier reef - having a new watch gives me a great excuse to do that again. Can't reccommend it enough for an amazing trip.

Quote Originally Posted by redmond
    Quote Originally Posted by angeche
    why not :lol:

But of course, I am a superfreak :twisted: (and Bob says I am the only one around...doubt it... :scratch: )

I have dived, but couldn't imagine risking it with an expensive watch! Mind you, a Suunto Dive Computer aint that cheap I suppose when I think about it.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by jobseeker
    I have dived, but couldn't imagine risking it with an expensive watch! Mind you, a Suunto Dive Computer aint that cheap I suppose when I think about it.
    i understand that, but to me you pay alot of money for them so use them.

Master

I dived for the first time a few weeks back during my holiday in Australia. My Rolex SD was more than up to the extreme deaths of ......30 feet!! Instead of taking photos of the lovely tropical fish, or the great barrier reef all I was interested in was taking photos of the SD with an underwater disposable camera. Unfortunately just ended up with a load of photos of my arm with no watch in sight!! Oh well...maybe next time.

The odd snorkel here and there but that's about it. Divers watches tend to be robust and waterproof, attributes that are very handy on terra firma. Although the pressure is nothing like, a hike in the rain can ruin watches that can't cope.

I'm a warm-water holiday diver. Most of my dive watches don't go diving though; I wear a Suunto dive computer and a beater diver when I go thrashing amongst the corals :)

Craftsman

I own 3 divers but I can only just about manage to float in water. The one and only time I tried to snorkel I almost drowned!

Strange a few responces but not the crude one I would have expected by now. :)

There was a long thread about this a few weeks back: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=56366

Master

Quote Originally Posted by patrick
    theres time yet

Master

I'm a fan but never dive, i think its the same for the majority on here and elswhere, its the specs and the looks that attract people same as lots of things, isnt it a bit like high power cars/motorcycles most owners will never use them to their full potential or are capable but they look good and make you feel good.

karl

Craftsman

I did my BSAC Sports diver a good few years ago (in Falmouth. Visibility >3ft but fantastic Scallops..!) and hope to dive again one day. As all of my dives so far (and probably ever) were no stop dives, I'd be quite happy to do them with a watch and a good depth gauge. Plan the dive and dive the plan is what i was taught.

Cheers,

Peter.

I did my Open Water at Wraysbury about 5 years ago. Just over 300 logged dives now, and finally took my Rescue Diver course at Dahab in the summer. Love being under the water, but always dive with a Suunto D6 as my main computer and Suunto Mosquito as a back up. I even take my divers watches off to do the washing up :D

Christiano Ronaldo did some diving today, and he wasn't wearing any kind of watch :x

Master

Think STM mentioned going away for the weekend David.

karl

Quote Originally Posted by Karl
    Think STM mentioned going away for the weekend David.

karl
    Now why was he in my thoughts as I posted? :D

Master

its a disgrace, you'd think one of the other monkeys would fill in while their leaders away, he'll be deeply disapointed.

karl

Master

I've done a couple of hundred of dives, my father used to dive and I was initiated at the age of 12 or so.. Now it's been 3 years since my last serious dive (caribbean tourist dives don't count) and the equipment is rotting away.. dunno if I will start up again next summer or not. Last time I wore watch down here in Finland was more like 10 years ago as computers have taken over. But on those tourist dives where there's a divemaster etc, I do wear whatever I happen to have with me.

Grand Master

I own a couple of Seamaster professionals but I`ve no intention of taking up diving. Don`t even get in the shower with mine on!

I used to swim 3 times /week in the past, and always wore a £10 casio digital thing to swim in. No idea what its waterproof rating was but it never leaked!

If I was to take up diving I wouldn`t want to use an expensive watch...too much risk of damage.

Master

I used to but it's been a few years now so can't say I "do" dive. :D

Fully qualified with BSAC (British Sub Aqua Club) since I was 18... Which was 24+ years ago. I wasn't really into watches back then but did have a nice Seiko diver.
    I have since converted all my courses to PADI and did the Nitrox course with them in the Maldives earlier this year. I wore a GP SeaHawk Pro 3000m for every dive I did in the Maldives, although to be honest it was more decorative than anything else because like the vast majority of modern day divers I took all the readings from the Dive computer. :o

Craftsman

Used to dive most weekends in the season when I lived in the UK (BSAC), then only on hols when I lived in the States (PADI), and haven't even had a decent swim since coming back to Limey six years ago. I would usually dive with my Datejust (!), not for timing purposes but because I didn't want to leave it behind to get knicked or lost. (Oh. I have a load of dive gear in the attic. I should flog it to help justify buying an LV!!)

Dived for a long time, all over the world and in some serious places, both deep and cave - never wore my watch to any great extent, that is what dive timers and deco computers are for :wink:
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gunscrossed
    Thats the stuff. :D

Craftsman

I used to do decompression diving and a little cave diving (around 300 dives), but never wore anything but a Citizen Aqualand lol...now I have many diver and military watches and haven't dived in years!!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by khumzi
    Used to dive most weekends in the season when I lived in the UK (BSAC), then only on hols when I lived in the States (PADI), and haven't even had a decent swim since coming back to Limey six years ago. I would usually dive with my Datejust (!), not for timing purposes but because I didn't want to leave it behind to get knicked or lost. (Oh. I have a load of dive gear in the attic. I should flog it to help justify buying an LV!!)
    datejust thats the spirit :lol:

Nope, have never dived and don't even go swimming often. Quite tempted to give diving a try, though.

The most extreme conditions my 1500m rated SO has been into is about 6 inches of water while bathing my daughter :) :lol:
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Craftsman

Love the dive watches, dived only one time together with my wife....no succes.

But althought it wasn't a succes we will try again.
    Always attracted by water for swimming, snorkeling and other watersports.
    I will not use a serious dive watch while trying...maybe a SKX 007 or Monster

Hi all,
    I'm still a "water baby", having started diving in 1972, using an Aquastar dive watch. My interest in both the diving and the watches has not diminished, and I now have several watches that I use on my various exploits both in the UK and abroad.
    I'm firmly in the "user" category, rather than a "collector", but I can see the appeal for the non-diving fraternity.

ATB.

Bazz.

Master

:shock: Going near water? Yikes!
    Now where did I put my 1000m AutoZilla? :D

I'm a big fan of vintage dive watches, but a) I don't dive, and b) don't think I ever will with an old watch on, to the extent that more likely to wear one of my moon watches to the moon first.

or wear one of these flying a fighter plane on the outbreak of war.

:lol:

Used to dive and wore my first Seamaster, the 90's 200m automatic (pre-Bond). Nowadays rare as we used different technology at work. Regularly swim, surf, kayak and snorkel in salt water and use either one of my dive watches or a G-shock. For real diving my colleagues invariably use dive computers, usually Suunto, and most either don't use a dive watch at all, or if they do it's a G-shock, citizen or Seiko.
    Steve

Craftsman

I have done about 20 dives with my Tag Heuer 2000 series (blue dial). Then I noticed I was scratching the bracelet like hell, so I started wearing the G-shock instead. I didn't own any other 200m resistant watches then (1998-2002).

I only used the TH as a true dive timing watch of sorts once, as the computer did the rest. It was when an air-head chick I was diving with just vanished. I looked around, then set my bezel to time a two minute ascent from 14m, rotating and looking out for her. Dumb bimbo was on the surface 50m away "I just floated up!" she said. Never dived with her again.

I have since developed asthma, so I considered it prudent not to to chance it and sold my wet suit and BCD. Also, after living in North Queensland for 3 years, one part of the Great Barrier Reef becomes the same as the next, until you just get coral fatigue! :D

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A
    I have since developed asthma, so I considered it prudent not to to chance it and sold my wet suit and BCD. Also, after living in North Queensland for 3 years, one part of the Great Barrier Reef becomes the same as the next, until you just get coral fatigue! :D
    I am going the other way, I love the sea and want to dive because I have asthma, bad often blocked synusis and can't swim so just getting to a state of health and ability where I can take up scuba is a big challenge for me.

I'm a qualified PADI diver but only really dive on holiday in the warm. Most recent was this time last year in the Caribbean. Very nice.

I normally dive with my D9 titanium.

:)
    Paul

I have been diving on and off for the last 20 years. Use a dive computer nowadays but always take a watch as well.

I've been diving for about 20 years - got about 500 logged but stopped counting some time ago. The last major trip 'dive only' trip I had, I shot some HD footage for Sky in the Maldives, which plays every night at 2am on Sky Arts, called "Aquariavison"

I used to wear a Citizen dive watch, which I still have, but it's pretty beat up now.

These days I dive with a Suunto Vyper, which is also starting to look pretty beat up as well... :D

I certainly wouldn't wear any of my expensive dive watches... :shock: You'd be amazed what I've found when diving - cameras, watches, etc etc.
    The Citizen was very reliable, but the rubber straps used to break quite regularly.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB
    Christiano Ronaldo did some diving today, and he wasn't wearing any kind of watch :x
    HA HA... that one got me laughing out loud. Ta! :lol:

We are also BIG fans of pilot watches, but how many fly? :roll: :D

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

john
    :lol: :lol: true mate

Craftsman

john
    Do you mean fly as in being in the driver's seat? :roll:

Master

Fly? I'm Super Fly,

Quote Originally Posted by khumzi

john
    Do you mean fly as in being in the driver's seat? :roll:

Yeah, as in being a pilot :roll: :lol: . Anyway, I also like watches that go 'on the sea' as in, ship's chronometers.

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!