closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My first Breitling?

Master

My first Breitling?

I owned many dive watches from so many brands, but never a Breitling.

I would really want to add a 7750 powered diving Chrono to my small collection. I had a Sinn 203 and a UTS 600m. The Sinn was lovely, but the feel of the pushers was not what I expected, they used to wobble side to side slightly when unscrewed. The UTS was excellently built but was a bit too large and heavy on its OEM bracelet.

I love the Sinn 206, but I hate the display back. Especially for a dive watch with a non silicon escapement, I think it should be given better magnetic protection.

I must admit, that though I admire Breitling for building .very well put together, dependable watches, there is always some quirk with the design which I don't like.

It's either too blingy, too large or too flashy.

I am sure the Breitling 13 is superb. I liked the Superocean Chrono, but never found a gently used one and pushed the trigger and it seemed to be discontinued. Now, in the line up there is the Chrono Avenger 43 and I really like its no nonsense look and brushed bracelet + case.

Do you think it can be worn without overhang on a 6.5 inch wrist? I can't find any reviews youtube. What is your view of the watch both good/bad? Any owners wish to chime in with their experience? Thanks in advance!

Its 16.4mm thick and 240 grams so i would be more worried about that, that is quite a heavy chunky watch in my opinion.

That’s a lot of watch for a slim wrist. Still, if you like it, you like it and it doesn’t matter what anyone thinks. 7750s are thick movements, so they tend to be put into larger watches.

If I were in your position, I’d be looking at watches with a 2894-2 or a manual wind movement. There are a few smaller chronos with them including the speedie reduced.

Like I said, it doesn’t matter what I think though

Master
    Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I'm a bit worried about the weight part actually.

I wear the SBDX035 a lot, but on rubber and being Titanium is not too heavy.

About the thickness, will have to accept it as the 7750 is 7mm thick. I won't consider a manual wind or similar to get a thinner watch, since I'm looking at a dive chrono with pushers which can be activated underwater. I don't believe the 42mm Superocean, with screw down pushers, can be used underwater right?

Craftsman
    I recall their only chrono diver that could be used underwater was the old Chrono Avenger M1. As it had a quartz movement, Breitling managed to mechanically decouple the pushers from the movement by using magnets instead.

There may have been something else quartz based in the range, but maybe someone else can advise.

Blog Entries
    The Omega PO Chrono can be activated underwater.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    The Omega PO Chrono can be activated underwater.
    True, but the PO is very large.

I also don't like the superimposed minute/hour chrono hands, the in house movement (should be very expensive to service) and the display back.

Master
    The Damasko chrono can be operated underwater too.

I think some Sinn do too.

As an alternative to Breitlling I would consider the Sinn 903. WR to 100 m.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Sinn U1000 Chrono can do it all.

Breitling’s long term service costs are high, and the small number of independents charge about the same.

When I wanted a 7750 based watch, I eventually went Sinn, after a dalliance with Damasko, and I’m happy with that. Mine are Pilot and motorsport styles (103 / 144). I can understand the desirability of the Avenger Chrono style, but long term costs do put me off. I couldn’t find any information on antimagnetic shielding, which was one of your concerns about the Sinn 206, I suspect it’s no different.

I’ve always liked the Chrono-Avenger, but always like the E13360 the best

Good luck with your choice

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post
    The Damasko chrono can be operated underwater too.

I think some Sinn do too.

As an alternative to Breitlling I would consider the Sinn 903. WR to 100 m.

A 903 would not be my choice as a diver with its very busy dial, limited lume and bi-directional bezel. An EZM13.1 or U1000 are purpose built for the task, including underwater safe pushers for the chrono I think.

Maybe look at a Tag Aquagraph. Probably the most toolish Tag.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    A 903 would not be my choice as a diver with its very busy dial, limited lume and bi-directional bezel. An EZM13.1 or U1000 are purpose built for the task, including underwater safe pushers for the chrono I think.
    Fair point

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by buddy13 View Post
    I owned many dive watches from so many brands, but never a Breitling.

I would really want to add a 7750 powered diving Chrono to my small collection. I had a Sinn 203 and a UTS 600m. The Sinn was lovely, but the feel of the pushers was not what I expected, they used to wobble side to side slightly when unscrewed. The UTS was excellently built but was a bit too large and heavy on its OEM bracelet.

I love the Sinn 206, but I hate the display back. Especially for a dive watch with a non silicon escapement, I think it should be given better magnetic protection.

I must admit, that though I admire Breitling for building .very well put together, dependable watches, there is always some quirk with the design which I don't like.

It's either too blingy, too large or too flashy.

I am sure the Breitling 13 is superb. I liked the Superocean Chrono, but never found a gently used one and pushed the trigger and it seemed to be discontinued. Now, in the line up there is the Chrono Avenger 43 and I really like its no nonsense look and brushed bracelet + case.

Do you think it can be worn without overhang on a 6.5 inch wrist? I can't find any reviews youtube. What is your view of the watch both good/bad? Any owners wish to chime in with their experience? Thanks in advance!
    https://www.breitling.com/gb-en/watc...3/A13385101C1/

Dear OP going back to your questions:

Overhang depends on your wrist shape. For me with 6.75" wrist anything over 50mm lug-lug across the watch, starts to look dangerous to overhang. I try and avoid watches of that size .

The Breitling 43mm Avenger you mention is:

Height (upper lug tip to lower lug tip): 53.2 mm

So check your wrist width, but for me that would be too much. I've got rid of better watches because of that - Blancpain 50 fathoms for example.

Breitling are super watches IMHO, with service costs are similar to OEM Omega, Rolex etc. perhaps factor £500-600 per 6-8 years? I used to own more but moved away after their sillly marketing and brand image.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    https://www.breitling.com/gb-en/watc...3/A13385101C1/

Dear OP going back to your questions:

Overhang depends on your wrist shape. For me with 6.75" wrist anything over 50mm lug-lug across the watch, starts to look dangerous to overhang. I try and avoid watches of that size .

The Breitling 43mm Avenger you mention is:

Height (upper lug tip to lower lug tip): 53.2 mm

So check your wrist width, but for me that would be too much. I've got rid of better watches because of that - Blancpain 50 fathoms for example.

Breitling are super watches IMHO, with service costs are similar to OEM Omega, Rolex etc. perhaps factor £500-600 per 6-8 years? I used to own more but moved away after their sillly marketing and brand image.
    Thanks for your reply. You are right. The 43mm is too long lug to lug for it to be wearable on my small wrist.

I don't like the brand image, but was trying to look past that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zodiac View Post
    Maybe look at a Tag Aquagraph. Probably the most toolish Tag.
    Had one, I liked it and it is very toolish indeed.

I don't like the movement, with is 24hr register and modular construction. The crown used to dig in my wrist a bit too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Sinn U1000 Chrono can do it all.
    True. Great watch, but a 60mins sub register is impossible to read for me. I find a 30 mins minute register much better.

How about a Longines?

No idea if pushers can be operated underwater but the watch is a looker.

Or this one?

Fortis B42 Marinemaster?
    Hard to beat for the money in my opinion.