closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Charities asking for specific amounts

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    You may not have noticed but I mentioned the world. It may come as a surprise to you but other countries are also funding research and making discoveries that are subsequently used to save lives across the planet (although primarily in developed nations). So please get off your high horse.
    As an aside I do not think it reflects well on our societies that charities are relied upon from what, for me, comes under the umbrella of a state responsibilities. That includes scientific research, cancer care, and veterans care, among others. But I suppose this is a different debate.

My post was about people in THE UK receiving help with heart disease.
    You decided to reply and conflate the discussion to the 'world'

Anyhow I will leave it there, people can of course decide which causes that wish to support and do their own due diligence.
    Most of the opinions on this thread are sadly ill informed

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Instead of asking me to substantiate my statement you could try googling before making your own totally inaccurate statements.

https://www.bhf.org.uk/what-we-do/ne...om%20the%20BHF.

That is one charity funding more than the UK Government.

As I said before anyone who has ever had a stent or had heart bypass surgery got it because the research was paid for by a charity.
    There are equal claims in lots of other areas

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/our-progress
    Believe the first stent implant was carried out in France. Was a charity behind that?

More generally, UK research doesn't operate in isolation from the rest of the World. Is charity funding so significant elsewhere (maybe it is)?

Edit - point already made!

When I was in Cancer research for my PhD in France 90% of our funding came from INSERM and about 10% from ARC. But that was down to how the unit’s research director pitched his project and who he knew, so proportions varied vastly. I believe that INSERM was almost always the largest contributor though.

INSERM: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inserm

ARC: (new version, long story) https://www.fondation-arc.org/the-fondation-arc
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    No.
    Where did you get that idea from?
    Charites have many varied structures and ways of fundraising.
    All charities have to submit proper accounts and this information is in the public domain
    See the link I posted above. A number of charities do not publish the data that they have been requested to provide. This includes staff paid over the £65k average, ratios to cost, etc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    See the link I posted above. A number of charities do not publish the data that they have been requested to provide. This includes staff paid over the £65k average, ratios to cost, etc.
    Well I never…

Journeyman
    Having worked for a registered charity and being trustee of a small local one I can say its most likely cost ot serve that creates a minimum threshold.

I dont like it either and wish if that were the case theyd be more hinest about it and explain that in their comms as would i think help the psychological block people have (me included).

The place i used to work has one of the highest paid cgarity CEO;s in the UK, hes now on £360k, in my exit interview he asked why i was leaving, i explained partly for a payrise as he paid so badly, he did not like that. At the time i was woring on projects dorectly for him and co ordinating a programme across the whole organisation, but was paid a 7th of what he was on back then!

Thankfully that one was a membership body and its charity work was about promoting science and engineering rather than healthcare or medical research.

One other thing as i saw a few comments about reserves, many charities like to keep several months operating capital in reserves to allow them to continue providing their services in times of strike (pandemic anyone?), my old employer lkepy 2 years operating revenue in the bank!

Rgds

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Yarrow View Post
    Having worked for a registered charity and being trustee of a small local one I can say its most likely cost ot serve that creates a minimum threshold.

I dont like it either and wish if that were the case theyd be more hinest about it and explain that in their comms as would i think help the psychological block people have (me included).

The place i used to work has one of the highest paid cgarity CEO;s in the UK, hes now on £360k, in my exit interview he asked why i was leaving, i explained partly for a payrise as he paid so badly, he did not like that. At the time i was woring on projects dorectly for him and co ordinating a programme across the whole organisation, but was paid a 7th of what he was on back then!

Thankfully that one was a membership body and its charity work was about promoting science and engineering rather than healthcare or medical research.

One other thing as i saw a few comments about reserves, many charities like to keep several months operating capital in reserves to allow them to continue providing their services in times of strike (pandemic anyone?), my old employer lkepy 2 years operating revenue in the bank!

Rgds
    Sorry but 360k for a charity CEO is just disgusting to me. It's just a con game lining the pockets of these individuals.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Interesting, coincidentally I keep around 2 years operating revenue in the bank, security and peace of mind, it´s an uncertain world...see PANDEMIC.

To me there´s far worse con games being run, sums that make 360k look like chicken feed, but everyone´s got different tolerances, thresholds.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Interesting, coincidentally I keep around 2 years operating revenue in the bank, security and peace of mind, it´s an uncertain world...see PANDEMIC.

To me there´s far worse con games being run, sums that make 360k look like chicken feed, but everyone´s got different tolerances, thresholds.
    That's fine, unless you're asking people to put their hands in their pockets and donate to you on the grounds of helping the less fortunate/needy animals/poor people etc.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Sorry but 360k for a charity CEO is just disgusting to me. It's just a con game lining the pockets of these individuals.
    360K, would there also be a house/flat in the city, expense account, company car, pension payments, health benefits etc etc on top of that ?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    360K, would there also be a house/flat in the city, expense account, company car, pension payments, health benefits etc etc on top of that ?
    For this guy there's no London flat anymore, that was sold long ago. But yes pensions, healthcare etc on top.

As I said, the charity work wasn't what he got the salary for, he got that as the CEO of a global membership body, they were also a charity who did free activity and supported members struggling in later life.

All the money came from direct donations and bequests, and the salary band was published in the annual report as public record.

Rgds

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

There are a few websites that 'score' charities - to put it crudely providing a bang-for-buck rating. Worth a google and one I've used before: https://www.givewell.org/charities/top-charities

Its a horrible thought that worthwhile causes suffer as a result of the bad practice of some charities

Managers and admin at the top = big salary

Charity workers at the coal face = volunteers.

That ethos has transferred to Olympic/commonwealth Sports where the likes of 'Lord' Coe got a king's ransom, while..............................

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Managers and admin at the top = big salary

Charity workers at the coal face = volunteers.

That ethos has transferred to Olympic/commonwealth Sports where the likes of 'Lord' Coe got a king's ransom, while..............................
    I think that’s what gets up a lot of peoples noses the way they expect by most peoples standards to be paid very well from peoples donations and expect the people doing all the donkey work to give their time for free

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    I think that’s what gets up a lot of peoples noses the way they expect by most peoples standards to be paid very well from peoples donations and expect the people doing all the donkey work to give their time for free
    Holy threead necro Batman...

The problem is if you dont have well payed managers in the head office you can easily end up in trouble with the charities commission or defrauded. It has happened to small local charities in the past.

Large charities get how they are through a well oiled machinery of planners, and you need to pay for them.

Thats why charity shop managers tend to be a paid role, with a staff of largely volunteers. It reduces fraud and increases likelihood of stores being opened and sales made.

Rgds