closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Qatar World Cup 2022 - anyone planning to go?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Hope they have enough jails to hold the Engerland Massive when they are pissed and cannot get a drink outside their hotel. Total farce holding it there, hardly Carbon Neutral having to aircon vast stadium’s. I hope it’s a total shambles to be honest, should get some fun from news reports on fans behaviour etc

There’s is a reason why the World Cup as never been held in the Middle East. To unstable for Westerners to enjoy themselves and it’s to hot
    Spelling...............try harder.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Spelling...............try harder.
    Enlighten me tosser

Engerland is what England fans chant
    Last edited by hilly10; 26th August 2021 at 21:43.

Enlighten me tosser

Yeah, sure, but that might be missing the point when there are another solid five errors in an 82-word post.

What's your objection to the WC being held in Qatar? It'll be in November and December, and it'll be cooler than the last Euros. Alcohol will be available at the hotels, and in fan zones. (I don't know about in the actual stadiums.)

And if we consider that football is a world game, and enjoyed in many Muslim countries, by millions of teetotal fans, it starts to look as if you're a fan of drinking, rather than football. I had a great time in Doha when Liverpool won the FIFA Club World Cup Final in 2019. What's your problem?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Enlighten me tosser

Ah bless., There's more.

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post

And if we consider that football is a world game, and enjoyed in many Muslim countries, by millions of teetotal fans,
    This. It's the biggest game by a long shot in the region. It's a great opportunity for the further development of the game.

Sent from my Lenovo K12 Note using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, sure, but that might be missing the point when there are another solid five errors in an 82-word post.

Alcohol will be available at the hotels, and in fan zones.

What's your problem?
    At the moment no alcohol at fans zones and definitely zero in stadiums.

I have no problem with drinking and football, just foreseeing the problems with the England fans.

Master

Qatar World Cup 2022 - anyone planning to go?

What's your objection to the WC being held in Qatar? It'll be in November and December, and it'll be cooler than the last Euros. Alcohol will be available at the hotels, and in fan zones. (I don't know about in the actual stadiums.)

And if we consider that football is a world game, and enjoyed in many Muslim countries, by millions of teetotal fans, it starts to look as if you're a fan of drinking, rather than football. I had a great time in Doha when Liverpool won the FIFA Club World Cup Final in 2019. What's your problem?
    The main issue are the appalling conditions workers have been subjected to. Minimum wage workers shouldn’t be expected to die to build football stadiums.

The next issue is that it’s non inclusive country, LGBT+ football fans would struggles to be themselves whilst in the country and women still don’t have equal opportunities. By awarding tge World Cup to them it confines their non progressive politics.

Then there’s the environmental cost, an entire football network being built for one tournament.

Also, there’s no pretending the decision was money driven. Good luck seeing any working class fans getting tickets.

I have no issue with alcohol not being available, it would almost feel more genuine if it wasn’t. If it’s their country so be it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Then there’s the environmental cost, an entire football network being built for one tournament.
    The aim is for most of the stadiums to be re-usable & moved elsewhere after the event:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuhA6cEHvfo

It will be interesting to see if it's actually working in practice.

Ah, football. The truly inclusive game!

Sent from my Lenovo K12 Note using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paul360m View Post
    Join the England Supporters Travel club - it costs a bit BUT they will be a good source for tickets.

We have an office in Dubai so plan to use Dubai as base & travel into Qatar......& get out quick (not that Dubai is much better tbh!)
    Looked at the supporters club - its £75 well spent. My mate who lives in Dubai said hell be able to get tickets through work - so well see how that works out.

Hoping to see atleast 1 England game!

Master
    Tickets have been released by FIFA for Phase 1 lottery - closes on 8th Feb.

Prices seem reasonable for the group matches and round of 16.

Blog Entries
    The main issue are the appalling conditions workers have been subjected to. Minimum wage workers shouldn’t be expected to die to build football stadiums.

The next issue is that it’s non inclusive country, LGBT+ football fans would struggles to be themselves whilst in the country and women still don’t have equal opportunities. By awarding tge World Cup to them it confines their non progressive politics.

Also, there’s no pretending the decision was money driven. Good luck seeing any working class fans getting tickets.

I have no issue with alcohol not being available, it would almost feel more genuine if it wasn’t. If it’s their country so be it.
    This.

I won’t watch a match, and I like my footy.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    doesnt look like its going well at all;

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/stor...lines-for-fans

https://www.insideworldfootball.com/...rty-providers/

oh and no alcohol inside the stadium only bud zero....

might be better watching on the telly anyway.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    doesnt look like its going well at all;

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/stor...lines-for-fans

https://www.insideworldfootball.com/...rty-providers/

oh and no alcohol inside the stadium only bud zero....

might be better watching on the telly anyway.
    If they could not even have sufficient water available then my thoughts that this World Cup will be a shambles are confirmed!
    Saying that this event was a test run and ‘lessons will be learned’ cuts no ice whatsoever given how close the World Cup is.
    Delighted that I am not going!

Blog Entries
    Will not even watch it on the tv the whole thing is just so wrong on so many levels
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Will not even watch it on the tv the whole thing is just so wrong on so many levels
    I agree with this. The only thing I can do to protest the venue is to not watch the World Cup so that’s what I’ll do.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    I agree with this. The only thing I can do to protest the venue is to not watch the World Cup so that’s what I’ll do.
    I don't disagree with the sentiments regarding Qatar, but am betting should England progress to the knockout rounds we'll all be watching 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Master
    The new England shirt for this tournament is hideous. The away is just a rip off of the Italia 90 Umbro one.

Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    I don't disagree with the sentiments regarding Qatar, but am betting should England progress to the knockout rounds we'll all be watching gbeng
    They could struggle, I think people think because of the semi and final rounds in the last 2 big tournaments they will get far again, but they had it very easy at the last world cup and the Euros. The team is much older and relies on Kane way too much. Southgate is a terrible manager to be honest.

Master
    No. I can't think of a worse place. Well, aside from Afghanistan.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    No. I can't think of a worse place. Well, aside from Afghanistan.
    Have you been there? I have, & there are plenty of worse places, some of them in the UK.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    Have you been there? I have, & there are plenty of worse places, some of them in the UK.
    Yes I have, but I take your point.

As has been said a million times, the whole thing is a joke. The tournament will be missing some top players due to injuries caused by too many games in a condensed period in domestic leagues. The costs for 'regular' fans is totally prohibitive. As is the heat for many.

The impact worldwide just to line the pockets of one or maybe two individuals is staggering.

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post

The temperature in late Nov will be <30

More likely 25

And due to the low humidity, won't feel that hot.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by farquare View Post
    The temperature in late Nov will be <30

More likely 25

And due to the low humidity, won't feel that hot.
    What happened to their plan to air con the stadiums, is that happening?

Qatar World Cup 2022 - anyone planning to go?

Nothing better than a care free trip to a beautiful cosmopolitan country, to drink, eat and enjoy the ambience while watching the footy.

Then there is the desert fake sh1thole that is Qatar. £12-£15 pints, a country that hates gay people and murder their construction workers.

Free tickets and free flights may tempt me, otherwise nah.

The purpose of hosting the World Cup in first of a kind locations is to promote football to the locals and expand its support in the region. This is just a bought and paid for vanity project like F1.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchmanuk4 View Post
    What happened to their plan to air con the stadiums, is that happening?
    Don't think so.
    I had a look at the website and they all seem to be open air.
    Players and fans will manage fine.
    It can get cold at night as the northerly wind and low humidity combine.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by farquare View Post
    Don't think so.
    I had a look at the website and they all seem to be open air.
    Players and fans will manage fine.
    It can get cold at night as the northerly wind and low humidity combine.
    Ah maybe that was just some harebrained nonsense in the bid, before they upended the whole football calendar to accommodate it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    I feel the same but know I’ll get sucked in to the later stages. The price of my morals is that low.

It doesn't even feel like any other World Cup year imo... And I don't think it's just the timing. Usually there'd be excitement and build up but this year... Nothing. All feels a bit 'meh'

I won't be following any of it. My lad will have to watch it on his phone because I won't have it on the TV.

That won't have any effect on anything, but it will make me feel better about myself.

I know football has been a cesspool of corruption and greed for years now, but this World Cup is the final straw.

I have to be paid to go to the Middle East and paid handsomely - I would not go there for any other reason.

Master
    The more I read, the more I think that they never had any intention of accommodating fans. They just wanted to host it for prestige and for their own VIPs to watch it live

Master
    They even changed the date of the opening match not so long ago - caused issues for fans with flights and accommodations already booked!

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...on-november-20

Craftsman
    It’ll be interesting to see what the atmosphere is like in the stadiums. Tbh fans have made it work in spite of the organisers for a while now, so many tickets allocated to corporate and sponsors

I see they are bringing in Turkish police to "help" with security - The Turkish police being known for their even-handness and ability to defuse a situation

The more I read, the more I think that they never had any intention of accommodating fans. They just wanted to host it for prestige and for their own VIPs to watch it live
    And of course they are trying to boost their name in the international community....

Forget the human trafficking, slavery, killing of homosexuals, etc etc.... They are cool because they can host an international competition!

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    I see they are bringing in Turkish police to "help" with security - The Turkish police being known for their even-handness and ability to defuse a situation
    Next up .. the Cossacks!

Craftsman
    Ukraine want Iran banned from the World Cup.
    Appealing to FIFA’s moral compass only works when accompanied by brown envelopes stuffed with cash.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politi...ed-out-3888993

Quote Originally Posted by Adge View Post
    And of course they are trying to boost their name in the international community....

Forget the human trafficking, slavery, killing of homosexuals, etc etc.... They are cool because they can host an international competition!
    Looks like an attempt at sports washing of the most cynical and obvious kind.

Wild horses couldn't etc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Looks like an attempt at sports washing of the most cynical and obvious kind.

Wild horses couldn't etc.
    Multilateralism, innit. I.e. Don't meddle in our internal affairs, not your business, look what a good visitor experience we provide, just pay and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Multilateralism, innit. I.e. Don't meddle in our internal affairs, not your business, look what a good visitor experience we provide, just pay and enjoy.
    As global citizen consumers just don't pay/ participate, don't want to share our values, fine, don't get my bizzo. Same goes for holidays in places like Saudi where the defacto leader orders journos to be dismembered, among other not so civilised behaviours.

Obviously everyone makes their own choices/ values, spends it, as they see fit.
    Last edited by Passenger; 1st November 2022 at 14:51.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    As global citizen consumers just don't pay/ participate, don't want to share our values, fine, don't get my bizzo. Same goes for holidays in places like Saudi. Obviously everyone makes their own choices/ values.
    Quite.

I think the gamble of multilateralism is that those who don't care (especially in government and industry) in the growing economies of South America, South East Asia, and even Africa, will hugely outweigh those who do care. Outweigh not just in numbers but, very soon, in spending ability. I reckon they've got a value bet there.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Quite.

I think the gamble of multilateralism is that those who don't care (especially in government and industry) in the growing economies of South America, South East Asia, and even Africa, will hugely outweigh those who do care. Outweigh not just in numbers but, very soon, in spending ability. I reckon they've got a value bet there.
    Hmm we'll see, don't the areas you mention face climate/ environmental challenges soonest, some of those bets could be rather short lived...nonetheless when the only power we have is where we choose to spend it, I'll stick with my principles.

Top players are dropping like flies and I guarantee there'll be a really high-profile withdrawal before now and kick off. Too many games crammed into a narrow window to make way for this tournament. The integrity of the tournament is being undermined. Not that it wasn't already I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Top players are dropping like flies and I guarantee there'll be a really high-profile withdrawal before now and kick off. Too many games crammed into a narrow window to make way for this tournament. The integrity of the tournament is being undermined. Not that it wasn't already I suppose.
    It'll be like Hunger Games/Squid Game. Last one left standing wins it.

I just can't wait for it to be over so we can get back to club football. Club football is at a higher standard than International anyway.

Master
    Not for me, it’s football, and worse in Qatar.

Master
    A blatantly corrupt process at the heart of the biggest event for the most popular sport in the world for the second time running, involving hosts who use their fortuitous abundance of natural fossil fuels to empower their denial of human rights and impose war on neighbours. What's not to like?!

Slightly disappointed in Merton and Hislop as they had the perfect platform to slam Gary Neville on HIGNFY last night. They seemed to let him off lightly when questioning his motives for going.