closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 279 of 366 FirstFirst ... 179229269277278279280281289329 ... LastLast
Results 13,901 to 13,950 of 18287

Thread: More bike related stuff

Master
    Fitted the Oxford Adventure grips to my T7 - after having heated grips on the GS I couldn’t forgo them
    Nice and simple to wire up and fit

Whatever bike I end up with down the line I'll be fitting manufacturer or add on heated grips but as Tony says, they only heat your palms, hence thinking about some heated gloves I can wire to the bike and use if I need them. I've seen some Keys ones advertised but just wondered if anyone has some ones they can swear by and I can read up on them.

If you ride in winter there is no substitutes to handlebar muffs. heated grips make it luxury. Your looks will suffer but you can get over that more easily than cold hands and a long ride home.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    If you ride in winter there is no substitutes to handlebar muffs. heated grips make it luxury. Your looks will suffer but you can get over that more easily than cold hands and a long ride home.
    Yeah appreciate that but not a fan of the looks tbh, I'll go down the heated gloves route for now.

The GS is the first bike I've ever owned with heated grips and I'm not really a winter/wet weather rider. However, having ridden through Spain this year in torrential rain and snow they were an absolute revelation! I'm not quite ready for heated gloves yet and am not keen on the big switchgear that comes with Oxford heated grips but would definitely recommend if you're a year round rider.

I used to commute year round. Wish I’d had heated grips at the time, but I used to be OK most of the time with lobster claw gloves.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Whatever bike I end up with down the line I'll be fitting manufacturer or add on heated grips but as Tony says, they only heat your palms, hence thinking about some heated gloves I can wire to the bike and use if I need them. I've seen some Keys ones advertised but just wondered if anyone has some ones they can swear by and I can read up on them.
    Depending on the bike barkbusters are good. Muffs are better, especially as you can wear summer gloves

Last ridden 2002.

Last turned over 2009.

New battery, new fuel, fired up first press.

That's not strictly true. It took several presses, but it fired the first time after I turned the fuel tap on.

No longer needs an MOT and come next April, it won't need VED either. Does need quite a bit of work to get it up together though.

The plan is that it goes to my son who is determined to restore it properly. Before that happens I'll be having it recommissioned it to get it safe and rideable.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Last ridden 2002.

Last turned over 2009.

New battery, new fuel, fired up first press.

That's not strictly true. It took several presses, but it fired the first time after I turned the fuel tap on.

No longer needs an MOT and come next April, it won't need VED either. Does need quite a bit of work to get it up together though.

The plan is that it goes to my son who is determined to restore it properly. Before that happens I'll be having it recommissioned it to get it safe and rideable.
    R65 with a RS fairing. What a great bike to learn on. All day comfort and not to much power to get into trouble. Certainly one to lean rev matching on for downshifting:)

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    R65 with a RS fairing. What a great bike to learn on. All day comfort and not to much power to get into trouble. Certainly one to lean rev matching on for downshifting:)
    He's got his full licence and has ridden relatively high-powered bikes but this one has quite a bit of family history to it having been his Grandfather's bike. Back in 1986, I saw it advertised in MCN as "R65 with screen". To say that I was pleasantly surprised when I went to see it would be quite an understatement and bought it there and then.

It's quite slow steering so needs a bit of planning in the twisties but is amazingly relaxing on a run.

It's the later ('81-on) model with the slightly lighter flywheel, but the gearbox is a peach which helps. I once rode it from deepest darkest Cornwall to Wiltshire with a jammed clutch so every gearchange was clutchless all the way; push it to get it moving before snicking into first to pull away and make sure to pop it into neutral before stopping. All this clutch use for gear-changing is so unnecessary :-)

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    Haha, done exactly the same thing with exactly the same alternative, Tuono V4Factory. I took a V2 out for half a day and knew it was right. I’ve had silly hp bikes and their performance just cant be used on the road, well, not by me anyway. Threw my RS in p/ex. Dont need/want mine till March, but got to admit having no bike in the garage is weird. Still, something to look forward to. I went for the red, what did you go for??

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    What made you pick the V2 then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    This year and last, when riding from Angers to Caen in Sept/Oct, even my Held goretex gloves did nothing to prevent real cold hands. (+7c down to +2c in one place)

I take those and a pair of summer gloves on holiday but think for future will look at a pair of muffs in my luggage. Better than yet another pair of gloves with little 'feel'

Master
    Back in the '80s when a motorbike was my only form of transport, I used to plan winter journeys around stopping at establishments such as Little Chef...first port of call would be the gents to get my hands under the drier, then a nice hot brew and a smoke (as I was a smoker in those days).

Sometimes my hands got so cold I'd stop at the side of the road and warm them up on the end of the exhausts!

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Back in the '80s when a motorbike was my only form of transport, I used to plan winter journeys around stopping at establishments such as Little Chef...first port of call would be the gents to get my hands under the drier, then a nice hot brew and a smoke (as I was a smoker in those days).

Sometimes my hands got so cold I'd stop at the side of the road and warm them up on the end of the exhausts!
    I used to ride down from Gt Yarmouth to North London in the winter back around then. The A11 would often be covered in black ice, and every roundabout was a lottery.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I used to ride down from Gt Yarmouth to North London in the winter back around then. The A11 would often be covered in black ice, and every roundabout was a lottery.
    I think back then it was more likely to be diesel. Looks the same (invisible) and just as much grip, almost every roundabout was covered in it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    This year and last, when riding from Angers to Caen in Sept/Oct, even my Held goretex gloves did nothing to prevent real cold hands. (+7c down to +2c in one place)

I take those and a pair of summer gloves on holiday but think for future will look at a pair of muffs in my luggage. Better than yet another pair of gloves with little 'feel'
    For my last Italian trip plus 20deg C down to freezing on the passes I used Barkbusters Blizzards. They are like muffs but have an aluminium stiffener to hold them . I used summer weight gloves since the heat from the heated grips no longer gets “ blown away” resulting in toasty inner and outer fingers. At £75 I rationalised they were cheaper than a pair of winter goretex.

Downsides, probably not as packable as muffs or elephant ears solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I think back then it was more likely to be diesel. Looks the same (invisible) and just as much grip, almost every roundabout was covered in it!
    Could have been, Dave - I know it was fracking cold, though. I had plenty of offs and would often turn up at mum & dads with bent pegs and bleeding knees (I don't recall wearing armour back then - helmet & gloves and that was about it).

Could have been, Dave - I know it was fracking cold, though. I had plenty of offs and would often turn up at mum & dads with bent pegs and bleeding knees (I don't recall wearing armour back then - helmet & gloves and that was about it).
    Those were the days!

We were young and bounced back then. Mended quicker too!

I remember getting some thermal inner gloves which were made from some kind of metallic thread. Worse than useless they were, I spent more time with my hands on the silencer trying to warm up soaking wet, freezing cold gloves. Waterproofing wasn’t up to much back then either, a cold, wet crotch was quite normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Those were the days!

We were young and bounced back then. Mended quicker too!

I remember getting some thermal inner gloves which were made from some kind of metallic thread. Worse than useless they were, I spent more time with my hands on the silencer trying to warm up soaking wet, freezing cold gloves. Waterproofing wasn’t up to much back then either, a cold, wet crotch was quite normal.
    ... both on and off the bike

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    What made you pick the V2 then?

Well, I’d had my RS Street since 2018 and it has performed faultlessly. But I fancied a change. Sportsbikes were not on the list, neither were Harley type cruisers, or adventure bikes. Done the motard thing a while back, crazy fun but not again. So its a sit up type naked.

I looked at V4 Streetfighter and Tuono Factory. Both incredible bikes and top of the hypernaked tree. But the thing is, for me they are basically massive overkill on the real roads, well, for me anyways. One of my mates had the V4 Streetfighter, and to be honest, on our scoots round N Wales it was no quicker than my RS except on the straights. But jeez, it used twice the fuel doing it.

So, the S1000R, pretty much does everything right. Reliable engine, decent fuel, comfy and all the electronics you want. BUT its like the S1000RR that I had, faster that you’d ever want, but totally soul less. Just didnt give me any grin factor.

The Japanese offerings are supposed to be good reliability wise, but god, they look like kids transformer toys, angular and just not my cup of tea.

I’ve had a V Twin Duc before (Diavel) and loved it, except its bottom end vibes in slow traffic. But that was the first gen when they came out. But I love the brand and character and style of them. I looked at the new 1260S but they are over what I wanted to spend.

Onto the V2 then. Took one out for half anday and was just blown away. Comfier than my RS, it handles well and where on my RS I’d literally feel every bump on the V2, you knew they were there but sort of not as vicious, stiff and bumpy. Ergonomically its fine for me as well. Brakes, whilst I didnt think they were as keen as the RS they are way more than adequate. The engine. Well, bloody epic is how I’d describe it. Its got enough power and torque low down, but above about 6k things get proper lairy. Not daft warp stuff like the V4, but actually more than enough without you needing a change of undies. It just pulls cleanly, quickly, without being dangerous. And the sound, oh yessssss. Quick shifter was super smooth, felt better than my S1000RR. I cant comment on the fuel, but reports reckon around 120 miles to a tank? Doesnt really matter anyway. The dash could be bigger I suppose, and cruise would be nice, as would a fuel gauge. But all my early bikes never had a gauge so thats no biggy. Everything just felt right on the test. And finally the looks. It has got to be THEEEEEE Sexiest looking naked out there at the moment. Chuck some tasteful options at it and its a bike of my dreams. It’ll be a reality in March though.

Stuart

Nice one, I’ll look forward to seeing the pics on Ducati Forum, don’t forget the bin haha…

Will do Marty, I’m sooooo looking forward to getting it. Have you got one, or is one on your radar?

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    Will do Marty, I’m sooooo looking forward to getting it. Have you got one, or is one on your radar?

Ah I’m looking at about 4 or 5 bikes for my next one, no sense at all in the ones I look at haha, from a Kwak Z900RS SE to a Thruxton RS to a Streefighter V2 and so on…

I really don’t have a clue…

Well, I managed to get out on the bike for the first time in over a month today - including 2 weeks away in Tenerife and then another two weeks recovering from this groin/tendon problem I picked up over there (which saw me giving up my Spurs ticket today, as I'd not have been able to climb six flights of stairs). Anyway, I had a wonderful couple of hours, and I have to say that I'm over the moon with this bike. It really does suit my style of riding.

Well done getting back in the saddle after your dramas. Lovely bike indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Well done getting back in the saddle after your dramas. Lovely bike indeed!
    Thanks mate. Got another couple of hours of riding in on Sunday too, although I have to admit that I’m taking it easy for groin-related reasons!

Super day for a little ride with some other Ducatisti:

(security were on the ball - we got moved on very soon after stopping!)

Last edited by Stanford; 18th October 2022 at 20:50.

Stanford, picking up my new V2 tomorrow, just hoping the weather breaks or I will have wait until Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post
    Stanford, picking up my new V2 tomorrow, just hoping the weather breaks or I will have wait until Saturday.
    Congratulations - I'll cross my fingers for some decent weather
    It might be difficult to behave during the running in period (600 miles)...but it's still a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    Super day for a little ride with some other Ducatisti:

(security were on the ball - we got moved on very soon after stopping!)

That (plastic?) side panel on the radiator cheapens the overall look (to me). I think the first thing I would do is give it a carbon-dip or wrap in black or charcoal.

Big torque on that thing!

That (plastic?) side panel on the radiator cheapens the overall look (to me). I think the first thing I would do is give it a carbon-dip or wrap in black or charcoal.

Big torque on that thing!
    I don't dislike the aluminium look radiator covers, but I do have 'spare' ones in red which I think will make it all a bit more cohesive.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    I don't dislike the aluminium look radiator covers, but I do have 'spare' ones in red which I think will make it all a bit more cohesive.
    Could I ask where you got the red ones from? I have a red bike on order and am thinking the same, or possibly black.

Cheers
    Stuart

It’s here and parts are already being ordered. I am glad I went with the single unit straight away. What surprised me most of the exhaust note and how good it sounds. Now only 600 miles until I can open her up.

It’s here and parts are already being ordered. I am glad I went with the single unit straight away. What surprised me most of the exhaust note and how good it sounds. Now only 600 miles until I can open her up.

If not already on your shopping list, the 'essentials' are radiator guards and I would also get a tank guard
    I'm glad the weather cooperated.

I did get Evotech radiator guard fitted Bob, the radiator is so exposed.

I agreed on the tank pad, but not a fan of the Ducati spine one, so having a good look at options as we talk.

Whilst it held of raining it was wet and dirty so a good wash is due now

What an absolute beauty! There's something about Ducati supernakeds that is simply unmatched by other brands. (Apart from the price!)

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    What an absolute beauty! There's something about Ducati supernakeds that is simply unmatched by other brands. (Apart from the price!)
    KTM?

KTM?
    Been there, done that...might go back for more, one day

Craftsman
    Best bike I ever owned, wish I’d never sold it!

Image1666471266.640758.jpg

Very nice
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

KTM?
    True Blackal, I've ridden a few superdukes and the performance is amazing but very much a marmite bike. The Ducati has the beauty and performance that others don't quite match but just in my opinion obviously.

True Blackal, I've ridden a few superdukes and the performance is amazing but very much a marmite bike. The Ducati has the beauty and performance that others don't quite match but just in my opinion obviously.
    Almost bought a 749 Duc in complete black carbon fibre/ Xerox livery once - and just missed out on a pair of BST Carbon Fibre wheels for a Multistrada/1098 super bike, JUST on the off chance I bought a Multi ……….

Ducatis tug at the heart (and maybe the wallet).

I've been looking at the 999 recently. Still available at a reasonable price. Dream , the 888 but not to ride. Just to look at and polish!

Well, I bought a 16 tooth front sprocket for the T120 and thought I would fit that this afternoon, I wasn’t expecting to find the rear brake master assembly bolted in front of it.

I had a bit of a look but I can’t instantly see which bolts and screws to remove to get it out of the way. I think I will see if there is anything online before I start dismantling everything.

So I got the cleaning gear out and gave it a good wash instead.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    Well, I bought a 16 tooth front sprocket for the T120 and thought I would fit that this afternoon, I wasn’t expecting to find the rear brake master assembly bolted in front of it.

I had a bit of a look but I can’t instantly see which bolts and screws to remove to get it out of the way. I think I will see if there is anything online before I start dismantling everything.

So I got the cleaning gear out and gave it a good wash instead.
    ]
    That’s a new on me I have never had a bike with a piggyback on the sprocket cover before. Isnt it worth dropping Andrew ( Enoch) a pm. He’s well up on customising/ farkling Triumphs.

Stupid idea putting the drive chain on the wrong side!

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    That’s a new on me I have never had a bike with a piggyback on the sprocket cover before. Isnt it worth dropping Andrew ( Enoch) a pm. He’s well up on customising/ farkling Triumphs.
    That’s a good shout, I got the idea from what he did to his own bike.

Journeyman
    I've been looking at the 999 recently. Still available at a reasonable price. Dream , the 888 but not to ride. Just to look at and polish!
    Place near me has an 888 on display. Just stunning.

Master
    3 weeks old.🤪🤪

Fitted a Dart Screen today👍

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    That’s a good shout, I got the idea from what he did to his own bike.
    That’s quite a different set up to mine…

Mine has the rear brake master cylinder and the coolant overflow bottle in front of the sprocket, but it’s just a few bolts to remove. I don’t need to disconnect anything it all sort of swings out of the way.

The nut is normal RH thread so lefty loosy righty tighty

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    That’s quite a different set up to mine
    I need to have a proper look when I have time but I think I need to disconnect the brake lever / foot peg assembly?

I wish I had a wider space in the garage, a proper table lift would be great to have.