closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: LIQUID SKIN

Blog Entries

LIQUID SKIN

Hi Guys

Has anyone tried this product to protect your watches, looks expense but if it does what it says on the tin it might be worth it

https://thewatchprotect.com/products/liquid-skin

I was just about to post this very same question. I guess the ad popped up on your social feeds as well.

Master
    I once used clear nail varnish to coat the clasp of a watch that started giving a bit of skin irritation. The YouTube link doesn’t give a lot away of how you apply it so it doesn’t look like the watch has been painted with clear nail varnish.

Hm!

https://thewatchprotect.com/products/liquid-skin

Engineered from cutting edge nano technology, our film has self healing abilities …”
    Last edited by David_D; 8th November 2022 at 14:48.

That’s painful watching them scratch up that rose gold GMT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewood View Post
    That’s painful watching them scratch up that rose gold GMT!

Check out this one. Bonkers IMO.

https://youtu.be/Xjj1Az9tYic

Grand Master
    Protect them from what? Scratches, bangs, etc. are just par for the course .. never been bothered by them, never will be ..
    /vince ..

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Check out this one. Bonkers IMO.

https://youtu.be/Xjj1Az9tYic
    I did this years ago with the old Zagg wet application protectors for mobile phones. Used to buy the obsolete model protectors from eBay, cut a rectangle of it and use to protect clasps - near invisible and worked a treat on the Rolex PCL clasps. Couldn't imagine applying it to every surface of a watch though...it would definitely be noticeable and you'd always have one piece peeling after a couple of months.

As for the paint on varnish...I can imagine it might protect against the odd desk swirlie but surely anything more will go beyond the varnish and scratch the metal underneath.

Probably like car ceramic or grapheme coating.

Quote Originally Posted by Ventura View Post
    Probably like car ceramic or grapheme coating.
    I was just about to say this, but apparently these watch coatings start to peel after a while, which makes me think they are something more elastic than ceramic. I think it's probably acrylic varnish, similar to acrylic nail varnish. I think you'd forever be picking off flaking pieces and while it might protect from light scratches, I think it will look much worse.

I notice that the blurb for products such as these always claim to protect "up to" in this case 3 years.

So, from 30 seconds "up to 3 years", no trades description infringement when you ding your watch walking into an elevator the day after application.

I don't know of any post fabrication application that will adhere to a substrate like stainless steel (even more so Gold or Platinum) so well that it will stand up to 3 years of desk diving abrasion.

I'm not a coatings expert, but I've been involved with them in the construction industry and particularly marine environments for years.

I agree with the previous comments; you'll just end up picking bits off your now leprous looking timepiece and rueing the day you read the advert...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Does not say anything about how you remove that paint of stuff ... I'd want to know how to remove it ...

How on earth would I scratch my watches in the safe?

Surely this is a ridiculous idea now we don’t actual wear them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Very interesting. Quite expensive. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    How on earth would I scratch my watches in the safe?

Surely this is a ridiculous idea now we don’t actual wear them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    🤣🤣🤣

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Does not say anything about how you remove that paint of stuff ... I'd want to know how to remove it ...
    Me too, can`t help thinking this stuff is a bad idea.

Master
    Could be another reason for manufacturers to not honour warranties.

I used www.esquirelife.com/shop/ to protect a watch some years ago and was very impressed by it.

Since then there are lots of companies doing it. It is essentially the same material used on phone screen protectors.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewood View Post
    I used www.esquirelife.com/shop/ to protect a watch some years ago and was very impressed by it.

Since then there are lots of companies doing it. It is essentially the same material used on phone screen protectors.

Doesn't sound easy, never found phone screen protectors easy to apply, never bother nowadays.

Doing one part such as the PCL rectangle on a Rolex clasp is easy, practically invisible and stays put surprisingly well without peeling. If you want to avoid guaranteed desk diving marks on a clasp I’d recommend it. I’d never pay a lot for it though…you get the same product if you buy a £2 Zagg film protector for an obsolete mobile model on eBay.

Doing every surface on a watch would be crazy though.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post

Doing every surface on a watch would be crazy though.
    And imagine trying to cover a surface with complex curves; even something like the lugs on a Omega would surely be impossible. About the only part of any watch that could easily be covered would be the side of a Black Bay.

Hmm, I'm inclined to think if you can't afford to wear it (and the scratches that are part and parcel of the enjoyment of wearing) then you can't afford it.

The website doesn't mention how you remove the coating when it inevitably gums up your screw pins and clogs the bezel, I'd rather live with the odd swirly to be honest.
    Last edited by jimmbob; 9th November 2022 at 14:34.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmbob View Post
    Hmm, I'm inclined to think if you can't afford to wear it (and the scratches that are part and parcel of the enjoyment of wearing) then you can't.
    I think it depends on your obsessiveness rather than bank balance. If it’s avoidable, I absolutely hate scratching my stuff…this extends to my cheap apple watch and even stuff like my tennis rackets. For this reason I protect what I can…eg use head protector tape on my racket.

Yeah, fair point. I can't help but think there's got to be a better solution than lacquering your solid gold Pateks et al, with a weird un-removable varnish, just seems rather a risk. But hey, maybe it's good stuff, I genuinely don't know (much of anything really).

My first thought was "snake oil". Watched the video and it really proves nothing, there is no indication nor suggestion that those two scratch testers are the same hardness.

The liquid skin stuff looks like the same stuff they used to sell for phone screens. It applies and adheres well, but it does change the surface texture to a tacky-feeling plastic and does change the lustre.

They've found a niche, but it might be an especially tiny one.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmbob View Post
    Hmm, I'm inclined to think if you can't afford to wear it (and the scratches that are part and parcel of the enjoyment of wearing) then you can't afford it.

The website doesn't mention how you remove the coating when it inevitably gums up your screw pins and clogs the bezel, I'd rather live with the odd swirly to be honest.
    They advise not to use in those areas.

Master
    I despise websites that show me allegedly who purchased some items in the last few hours. Trying to drive a sale through FOMO.

The plastic stick on protection is awful, and there is not enough information on the liquid skin to make a call. But I’m pretty much on the snake oil side of things.