closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Breitling Avenger 43 GMT. Talk me out of it!

Breitling Avenger 43 GMT. Talk me out of it!

Tried one on today - honestly, was just killing time and passed AMJ in Newark.
    Popped in, as have a sort of relationship with them, and tried a few pieces on.

Some seriously great GS. Wow… the Four Seasons Taisetsu SBGA415G was so nearly perfect - but why oh why no lume???

One other was the above mentioned in the title - Breitling’s Avenger GMT - and was quite taken with it.
    Also had a very tidy reduction on price offered.

Yes, it is a pretty unadventurous movement - but reliable, and the watch is flawlessly finished.
    The sailcloth strap and deployant were really nice too.

I cannot help think I should know better than a base Breitling - but…

Any opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by notenoughwrists; 8th November 2022 at 20:30.

Master
    A local shop has a 45 in there pre-owned section, hopefully it will be there at the end of the month when I get my back paid pay rise from April.
    I've really taken to them recently.

Handsome watch!

(don’t do it!)

It's lovely, but an office GMT, I think, rather than a traveller GMT, so nope from me!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Breitling get a bad rep probably stemming from their dubious advertising and some marmite designs.

I would rate them above a lot of alternatives like TAG, Bremont etc.

I think it's a great looking watch, will go with lots of straps, the fit and finish will be impeccable, is a chronometer and you should haggle a good discount.

Blog Entries
    Nowt wrong with that one! As said it’s a home time GMT (the GMT hand jumps not the hr hand) - but good to track a second zone if “office bound”.

If you like it buy it - should get a discount
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Go for it. Having never owned a Breitling until last year I've now owned three and have a real liking and appreciation for the brand. Definitely underrated IMO.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    It's lovely, but an office GMT, I think, rather than a traveller GMT, so nope from me!
    OP - you wanted to be talked out of it and this is a very good reason not to get it.

Yeh, the watch-snob in me knows this is not a proper GMT.
    I do travel a fair bit overseas - once a month perhaps - but what else do you do in flight other than reset your watch???

It is the only thing that talks me out of it so far…

That's pretty nice. Still the "old style" Breitling style (or early 2000's to be precise).

I love my SteelFish.

I have owned both variations, with "syringe dial" and "arrow dial".

That watch has a lot of that same styling. Very "Breitlingsque" and I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Tried one on today - honestly, was just killing time and passed AMJ in Newark.
    Popped in, as have a sort of relationship with them, and tried a few pieces on.

Some seriously great GS. Wow… the Four Seasons Taisetsu SBGA415G was so nearly perfect - but why oh why no lume???

Any opinions?
    never like GS with lume and it will destroy the "grandness" of it though some said those highly polished hands and indices will catch all the light anyway.

I have the seawolf and they did make some provocative pix for their products and it's bezel is actually tougher than it looks.

Last edited by seikomatic; 9th November 2022 at 03:52.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post

Been looking at these a lot recently. Having had a few Breitlings I’ve always found them really well made and comfortable on the wrist.

I won’t talk you out of it, I’m a big fan even being an office GMT. Old school but new do it….

AMJ have always been great too when I have dealt with them.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    I say go for it, I've had a few Breitlings and that's the one a regret selling, it doesn't wear too big, nice clean dial (not to shouty like some) and the added function of the GMT which does come in handy on travels, it was always my travel watch, miss not having a GMT now

looks great, go for it. Nice clean dial for a Breitling.

I like these, been looking at them recently too.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Excuse the ignorance, what does this mean exactly ? An office GMT? It has a second hour hand to track a second time zone (the red hand I assume?)

Quote Originally Posted by PAM580 View Post
    Excuse the ignorance, what does this mean exactly ? An office GMT? It has a second hour hand to track a second time zone (the red hand I assume?)
    It doesn't have an independently adjustable hour hand. With a true GMT, the GMT hand is always set to home time and when you travel you can easily adjust the hour hand without upsetting any of the other hands.

On what is known as an office GMT, it's the GMT hand that is independently adjustable. This means that you can set it to NYC time if you have a colleague there.

Yeah, as Papa Hotel said, it's about which of the hands can move in one-hour steps - the 24-hour hand, or the hour hand?

I'm a GMT snob, and I used to travel a lot, so I loved a "proper" GMT - independent hour hand to let me move through time zones without hacking the watch - but these are in the minority. Rolex, many Seikos, Omega.

There should be more traveller GMTs coming with the new Mintoya (?) movement coming on stream.

Edit - Miyota. Discussed here - https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...nt-from-Miyota

But wait - there seems to be no crown guards… and bezel looks different

Breitling Avenger 43 GMT. Talk me out of it!

Whaaaaa!

Looks like I talked myself out of it.
    And into another!!!

Shiny case. Green dial too. Totally surprised myself, as neither are my usual cuppa

Last edited by notenoughwrists; 10th November 2022 at 15:32.

Journeyman
    Looks amazing, I own a similar looking Avenger Seawolf since 2013, bulletproof. You probably don't need it though, so don't buy it.