closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Interesting new movement from Miyota

Hybrid View

Any particular reason why you've gone without a date, Eddie? It's the one thing that would put me off buying this as a travelling watch.

Pretty design, but a GMT without date seems incomplete to me and an odd choice given the movement comes with date originally.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Any particular reason why you've gone without a date, Eddie? It's the one thing that would put me off buying this as a travelling watch.
    For a date function to be really useful it should have two dates. For instance, if it was 6AM in London on 11 November, it would be 10PM on 10 November in California. The date would only apply to the timezone of the display on the main hour and minute hands. Besides, date windows spoil the symmetry of the dial.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

100% agree!

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    date windows spoil the symmetry of the dial.

Eddie

That looks really good.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

I agree, and I also think a date window doesn't sit so well on a very traditional dial like this, effectively a design that looks like it comes from a time when date complications didn't exist.
    No date looks great here.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I agree, and I also think a date window doesn't sit so well on a very traditional dial like this, effectively a design that looks like it comes from a time when date complications didn't exist.
    No date looks great here.
    Dave - what do you have against watches with dates? IIRC w had a similar discussion about the Mission Timer - a watch that I would definitely buy, if it had a date. I appreciate that the Vanguard has styling cues from 1960s watches such as the no-date Omega SM300, but when Rolex introduced the GMT it had a date.

A travel-type GMT is the one type of watch when you most certainly need a date. When you're travelling across time zones it's very easy to get confused about the date. For example, taking an afternoon or evening flight from London to Sydney, you'll be in the air on three different dates. It's useful to know what date it is, now. And, as a former professional but now unpaid Navigator, if you're using a watch like this for navigation, especially old-school celestial navigation, which I still practice when sailing offshore, you can't navigate without knowing the local date. Even for local navigation you need to know the date when checking tide tables, weather forecasts, etc.

If you're that concerned about symmetry, let's have a date at 6, like the Breguet XXI.

But, please, please, let's have a date.
    Last edited by HappyJack; 13th November 2022 at 01:05.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by swanksteak View Post
    100% agree!
    I second that....