closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PSA: Seiko SLA039J1

PSA: Seiko SLA039J1

£2850.00 off @ Steffans. Not sure if it is of any interest to anyone.

https://steffans.co.uk/products/seik...SABEgJvP_D_BwE

Master
    Showing as sold out now. Hell of a bargain for someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    Showing as sold out now. Hell of a bargain for someone.

Spot on. That was a great head's up.

Craftsman
    It seems to be back in stock if anyone is interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've just tried to order it. Been charged but will believe it if I get a dispatch email

Thank you for the heads up. I've wanted one for ages and periodically hunt online but never had any luck! Really appreciate it.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Missed it by looks! Been on my list for a while to get one!

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I've just tried to order it. Been charged but will believe it if I get a dispatch email

Thank you for the heads up. I've wanted one for ages and periodically hunt online but never had any luck! Really appreciate it.
    Great news! I’m rather optimistic for you and hope you enjoy your free earrings too.

Hmm page not found now. Thought that was too good to be true. Will see if I get an email or refund notification.

Craftsman
    just loaded for me now

Hmm loaded for me again just now too and shows as in stock - weird.

Will see if there's a dispatch tomorrow or Friday.

Is this a genuine site? The grammar is appalling, these three in a row:

Warranty
    All Seiko pieces come with a 2 year warranty.

Packaging
    All Seiko pieces are packaged in authentic Branded Seiko Gift Box and come with a Seiko Warranty Card.

Jewellery Care
    Need advice on how to best take care for your jewellery? Click here
    "A man of little significance"

It's Steffans Jewellers in Northampton. A near 50 year old business so nothing looks out of place.

I called them today. It appears that they only had one Seiko SLA039J1 in stock, even thought the watch on their site was available then it became no longer available. That's happened three times now. They obviously have a technical issue.

I am sure it is fashioned on the inner thighs of Japenese geisha girls, but I can’t distinguish the style from a £500 Seiko.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I am sure it is fashioned on the inner thighs of Japenese geisha girls, but I can’t distinguish the style from a £500 Seiko.
    What £500 Seiko would you like to compare it to?

That in-house hi-beat movement was never going to be cheap.

Hmm loaded for me again just now too and shows as in stock - weird.

Will see if there's a dispatch tomorrow or Friday.
    Let me know how you get on Wiley.

You have to pay a big premium to lose the dreaded X

High beat too!!

PSA: Seiko SLA039J1

Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    What £500 Seiko would you like to compare it to?

That in-house hi-beat movement was never going to be cheap.
    A £100 Seiko 5 has an in-house movement.

Nearly 3 grand in the sale and you don’t even get the word Grand to distinguish is from a bog standard branded version.

This is a world apart from the £500 Seikos lol. Case and dial finishing will be up there with Omega, Rolex etc. Hi beat movement although annoyingly they'll say only accurate to 15 seconds a day as they don't regulate them for goodness knows why as a reason. Super watches.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    This is a world apart from the £500 Seikos lol. Case and dial finishing will be up there with Omega, Rolex etc. Hi beat movement although annoyingly they'll say only accurate to 15 seconds a day as they don't regulate them for goodness knows why as a reason. Super watches.
    Do you get an adjustable bracelet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you get an adjustable bracelet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Just a rubber strap. That's where Seiko do miss a trick, providing no bracelet and even if they did their bracelets are usually far below the standards of the mid range Swiss brands like Omega, IWC, Rolex etc that this piece competes with on a RRP basis. Even the GS bracelets are the achilles heel of those watches usually - decent enough but not 'wow'

A £100 Seiko 5 has an in-house movement.

Nearly 3 grand in the sale and you don’t even get the word Grand to distinguish is from a bog standard branded version.
    You mentioned that you could not distinguish the style from a £500 Seiko. I asked you what £500 Seiko?

I think we all know that a Seiko 5 has an in-house movement.

Personally, I would not want the word Grand on a near 45mm diver with a hi-beat movement, especially when it pays homage to the classic Seiko 6158 diver from 1968. That didn't have Grand on the dial either.

I hate Seiko bracelets. They are lacking in this field big style. A bracelet would probably make this watch too heavy.

Yes, it's not a cheap watch but if you are in to Seiko's and one with a classic 60's style monocoque case, hi-beat movement and a case finish as good as it gets, this watch will make more sense.
    Last edited by j111dja; 17th November 2022 at 08:42.

You mentioned that you could not distinguish the style from a £500 Seiko. I asked you what £500 Seiko?
    It looks pretty similar to this

https://www.watches-of-switzerland.c...yABEgI5yfD_BwE

No, it really doesn't. At all.

I think we all know that a Seiko 5 has an in-house movement.

Personally, I would not want the word Grand on a near 45mm diver with a hi-beat movement, especially when it pays homage to the classic Seiko 6158 diver from 1968. That didn't have Grand on the dial either.

I hate Seiko bracelets. They are lacking in this field big style. A bracelet would probably make this watch too heavy.

Yes, it's not a cheap watch but if you are in to Seiko's and one with a classic 60's style monocoque case, hi-beat movement and a case finish as good as it gets, this watch will make more sense.
    I'm with you completely on the bracelets. I wear my SLA023 on a Tropic, used to wear it on an Erika's, and it looks and wears great on both. With the bracelet it weighs too much and the bracelet is leagues behind the quality of the case, on the rubber strap it's fantastic.

As much as I really like this SLA039 I can't work out why it would be better than the SLA023, which has a perfectly finished case, a really good movement, lume you can see by at night and looks virtually the same - and they're selling for less than £1,600 on SC. That's beside the point, no modern Seiko costing more than £500 should come with a bracelet, they're just not good enough.

You're wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I'm with you completely on the bracelets. I wear my SLA023 on a Tropic, used to wear it on an Erika's, and it looks and wears great on both. With the bracelet it weighs too much and the bracelet is leagues behind the quality of the case, on the rubber strap it's fantastic.

As much as I really like this SLA039 I can't work out why it would be better than the SLA023, which has a perfectly finished case, a really good movement, lume you can see by at night and looks virtually the same - and they're selling for less than £1,600 on SC. That's beside the point, no modern Seiko costing more than £500 should come with a bracelet, they're just not good enough.
    Seiko are an utter disgrace when it comes to bracelets. Saying that, I rarely wear a bracelet. I hate the bloody things.

I can see your point when comparing it to an SLA023.

I've probably owned more mm300's this past 22 years than anyone else. They are all classics. All were beautifully built and the overall look is stunning. They really do embarrass the really high end divers.

The SLA039 is overpriced like most watches these days, but with the bigger case and better movement than the mm300's plus a fantastic retro case design, it's a great used watch at near the new mm300 retail price.

Im hoping it will replace my SLA021 but when looking logically at any SLA the MM300 comes first second and third which is why I’ve had two (five MM300 total).

Im unsure what it will give me that my SLA021 doesn’t but the same is true for any watch costing £50 Vs £500 Vs £5k. Just have to find out for myself.

It should come with a bracelet, unacceptable that it doesn’t, but seiko bracelets are unacceptable anyway.

Seiko are an utter disgrace when it comes to bracelets. Saying that, I rarely wear a bracelet. I hate the bloody things.

I can see your point when comparing it to an SLA023.

I've probably owned more mm300's this past 22 years than anyone else. They are all classics. All were beautifully built and the overall look is stunning. They really do embarrass the really high end divers.

The SLA039 is overpriced like most watches these days, but with the bigger case and better movement than the mm300's plus a fantastic retro case design, it's a great used watch at near the new mm300 retail price.
    I remember counting the number of MM300s Vinny had put on SC and it was something remarkable like one a month for two years or so.

You're wrong!
    Very wrong.

It for sure will be better than the SLA023 in terms of finish, the Hi Beat movement etc. Whether it is twice as nice (based on RRP) is open to debate (a short debate as it for sure isn't 2x the watch) but then again a Royal Oak isn't 3x the watch that a Submariner and a Sub isn't 2x the watch that a Pelagos is so value in this regard goes out of the window somewhat once you get past the £4k level.

Im hoping it will replace my SLA021 but when looking logically at any SLA the MM300 comes first second and third which is why I’ve had two (five MM300 total).

Im unsure what it will give me that my SLA021 doesn’t but the same is true for any watch costing £50 Vs £500 Vs £5k. Just have to find out for myself.

It should come with a bracelet, unacceptable that it doesn’t, but seiko bracelets are unacceptable anyway.
    I popped it in my basket when I saw the OP's generous PSA but got cold feet when I took a look at my mint SBDX001 which it would have competed with and possibly replaced. Original RRP very ambitious of Seiko but a great deal at the sale price assuming it's box fresh.

I am sure it will look pretty epic with the masses of ever-brilliant steel in the chunky mono block!

I also used to believe this until I cracked and bought what I thought was an overpriced mid-tier Seiko (SLA043) whose looks I loved.

I was wrong, it stands shoulder-to-shoulder with my PO in terms of finishing and movement accuracy.

Where Seiko let themselves down is in overdiversifying their ranges, never keeping clear-sight of how those ranges differ from one-another, and advertising the premium characteristics very poorly.

For example, the SLA043 has hardened-steel casework, ceramic bezel insert, top-grade lume, &c - yet try finding that information on Seiko's websites, much less finding a consistent use of these features in any given range...

Whoever picked-up that SLA039 got a very nice deal.

I remember counting the number of MM300s Vinny had put on SC and it was something remarkable like one a month for two years or so.
    It's a bit embarrassing but I have owned 19 to date. Yes, one is in the collection. It always will be.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    I also used to believe this until I cracked and bought what I thought was an overpriced mid-tier Seiko (SLA043) whose looks I loved.

I was wrong, it stands shoulder-to-shoulder with my PO in terms of finishing and movement accuracy.

Where Seiko let themselves down is in overdiversifying their ranges, never keeping clear-sight of how those ranges differ from one-another, and advertising the premium characteristics very poorly.

For example, the SLA043 has hardened-steel casework, ceramic bezel insert, top-grade lume, &c - yet try finding that information on Seiko's websites, much less finding a consistent use of these features in any given range...

Whoever picked-up that SLA039 got a very nice deal.

I don't think the SLA043 has a ceramic bezel insert - I think it is anodised aluminium, like the SLA037 which I have. Still a great watch though and your other points still stand. Happy to be corrected if I have that wrong..

Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    I don't think the SLA043 has a ceramic bezel insert - I think it is anodised aluminium, like the SLA037 which I have. Still a great watch though and your other points still stand. Happy to be corrected if I have that wrong..
    You are correct it is anodised aluminium and IMHO all the better for it.

Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post

If it is (and given Seiko's habit of obscurity, you may very well be right...) it sure as hell doesn't look like it. Indeed, what would the point be in spending the time and trouble making anodised alloy look so much like ceramic? Rhetorical question really, it's Seiko, so the answer would be "Because we can..."!

Nobody has been lucky enough to purchase this SLA039 yesterday as they sold it last week. It should have never been on their site yesterday. Typical.
    Last edited by j111dja; 17th November 2022 at 14:37.