closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Money Request on Paypal

Journeyman

Money Request on Paypal

I've received a request from a scammer but via the official PayPal channel as it appears in my account.

I use PayPal on the app.

How do I reject the request? There are no options to do so and I'm reluctant to click on the actual request as it has the word Pay at the end of it and I don't want to inadvertently pay the thing.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-A526B using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Noaksey View Post
    I've received a request from a scammer but via the official PayPal channel as it appears in my account.

I use PayPal on the app.

How do I reject the request? There are no options to do so and I'm reluctant to click on the actual request as it has the word Pay at the end of it and I don't want to inadvertently pay the thing.

Thanks in advance

Ive had the same thing, some stranger putting in a payment request for £899.00, you can cancel on their website, just go to the activity page and reject it, thats what I did, also called them to discuss, found them very helpful and confirmed that no payment would be made

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie169 View Post
    Ive had the same thing, some stranger putting in a payment request for £899.00, you can cancel on their website, just go to the activity page and reject it, thats what I did, also called them to discuss, found them very helpful and confirmed that no payment would be made
    Ah thanks I only use PayPal via the app and couldn't see anything like that.

I'll log in via my PC

Worth highlighting how the paypal payment request scam can work (might not be in OPs case, but this one is common)....

Scammers will send a genuine paypal payment request. They will include a note on the request that says something along the lines of "Your PayPal account may have been illegally accessed. £xxx has been deducted from your account to cover the cost of xxxxx. If you think you did not make this purchase, call us right away at +44-800-xxx-xxxx".

By sending a payment request, they've got paypal to send an official email to their targets. They hope one or two will believe the wording of the note is true because it has genuinely originated from PayPal. The number to call then takes you to the scammer.

The wife and I have had these recently too, as said, reject on the main website login and you can block the sender too.
    J
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    I had this early last week. Cancelled it on the PayPal page and also reported to them via their phising@paypal.com email.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Worth highlighting how the paypal payment request scam can work (might not be in OPs case, but this one is common)....

Scammers will send a genuine paypal payment request. They will include a note on the request that says something along the lines of "Your PayPal account may have been illegally accessed. £xxx has been deducted from your account to cover the cost of xxxxx. If you think you did not make this purchase, call us right away at +44-800-xxx-xxxx".

By sending a payment request, they've got paypal to send an official email to their targets. They hope one or two will believe the wording of the note is true because it has genuinely originated from PayPal. The number to call then takes you to the scammer.
    I have had one of these Paypal payment requests too and have cancelled via my Paypal account page.

What I cant understand from your advice above, is how the scammer has manipulated the telephone number on the email if the email has originated directly from Paypal?

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    I have had one of these Paypal payment requests too and have cancelled via my Paypal account page.

What I cant understand from your advice above, is how the scammer has manipulated the telephone number on the email if the email has originated directly from Paypal?
    The whole ‘note’ is just written by the scammer attached to the payment request, including their telephone number.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    The whole ‘note’ is just written by the scammer attached to the payment request, including their telephone number.
    Thank you for the reply.
    What utter scumbags!

Craftsman
    I’ve had six of these requests all for £679.99 from a company called TotalAV.

I’ve since cancelled all of the requests via the PayPal app and blocked the name who requested them! I’ve also sent all six emails to phishing@paypal.

Naively, I did write the phone number down and attempt to call it (instead of pressing the link on the email) and reached an automated message saying “no one is available”!

Truly horrible and quite alarming how genuine it all appeared to be!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

It used to be called 'theft' or 'obtaining money by deception' and was treated seriously by the Police. Now it is just accepted as part of everyday life. What a sad state of affairs we have let our society become.
    Thank you all for the explanations of how these things manifest themselves, I am one of those niaive types with technology that wouldn't recognise a real one from a fake one. I can do the most basic things on a computer, but trying to link one device to another is way beyond me, so all this 'app' stuff goes right over my head. I would most likely be taken in.

Journeyman
    How do you cancel the requests in the app?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike2500 View Post
    I’ve had six of these requests all for £679.99 from a company called TotalAV.

I’ve since cancelled all of the requests via the PayPal app and blocked the name who requested them! I’ve also sent all six emails to phishing@paypal.

Naively, I did write the phone number down and attempt to call it (instead of pressing the link on the email) and reached an automated message saying “no one is available”!

Truly horrible and quite alarming how genuine it all appeared to be!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I had an email but can’t see a request in the PayPal app so looks like a variety of methods are being used.