closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 43 of 57 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,150 of 2840

Thread: Things you'll never understand

Why in a suburban street lined with cars either side do cars drive closer to the RHS rather than LHS of the road?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Why in a suburban street lined with cars either side do cars drive closer to the RHS rather than LHS of the road?
    I don't think I do that, but - probably because it's easier to judge the distance from parked cars from the driver's side.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    People who drive cars about the size of a Lego brick who feel the need to pull to the right before making a left turn and vice versa. It’s a city car not an artic.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Or - if there is room at a T-junction to take 2 cars abreast (one turning right, one left) - do the nuggets turning right - pull to the middle and angle the car to the right and stop for the traffic. Jesus!

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I don't think I do that, but - probably because it's easier to judge the distance from parked cars from the driver's side.
    Could be that but if I'm approaching would be good if they shift over to their own side.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    People who drive cars about the size of a Lego brick who feel the need to pull to the right before making a left turn and vice versa. It’s a city car not an artic.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    See this daily, hilarious.

People who are late to baggage reclaim and then proceed to stand right by the side of the carousel (instead of outside of the line thoughtfully placed on the floor for your and everyone elses convinience) therefore blocking the view of the approaching cases for everyone standing behind them.
    Ignorant, selfish, inconsiderate %^&*^%%^&&**s!

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    People who are late to baggage reclaim and then proceed to stand right by the side of the carousel (instead of outside of the line thoughtfully placed on the floor for your and everyone elses convinience) therefore blocking the view of the approaching cases for everyone standing behind them.
    Ignorant, selfish, inconsiderate %^&*^%%^&&**s!
    I usually knock them into the carousel as I barge through to grab my case

Blog Entries
    Why do people suddenly speed up on roundabouts to catch you out ? Or turn across mini roundabouts early to do the same thing?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    How a coach who is 60 yards away thinks he is right about the grounding when I was only 5 yards away and in a better position to see it.

Why watch people on a watch forum post and post and post daft theories on watch manufacturers annual price increases.

Will be a queue of buyers for this on Rightmove

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Why do people suddenly speed up on roundabouts to catch you out ? Or turn across mini roundabouts early to do the same thing?
    I'm noticing cars positioning themselves in order to overtake you on roundabouts even though your positioned correctly to go straight ahead.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I'm noticing cars positioning themselves in order to overtake you on roundabouts even though your positioned correctly to go straight ahead.
    If someone has been dawdling along in front & is not paying attention, I will happily remove them from further delay. (Assuming it’s not in traffic, as zero gain).

Example on Saturday; someone driving for no reason at 25mph on a 40mph road (yes I know it’s not a target), when road conditions and visibility was good.

I am also away that they are likely to straight line the roundabout regardless of markings or other cars. They tend to go hand in hand!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post

My head hurts just from the photos let along trying to cook in that monstrosity!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    My head hurts just from the photos let along trying to cook in that monstrosity!
    I suspect it’s more coke than cook in that place.

Torn as I admire them for making their home truly theirs but also just wow.

Master

Things you'll never understand

Maybe not as bad in real life. Only really the floor tiles are really out there but the camera may make them look more wild than reality?

The purple lights can probably be unplugged !

Too claustrophobic for me - you'd feel trapped in that kitchen. I've owned £1m+ stone houses that were deep and relatively narrow, I since realised not for me.

Master
    Why the designers of the Northern Distributor Route around Norwich put three lanes on the roundabouts of a two lane, 70 mph road. Three into two doesn't go, so folks use 1 1/2 lanes! (or all three - it is Norfolk!)

Why it is SO hard nowadays to find/buy decent rubbish sacks, which don't split as soon as you try to lift them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    Why it is SO hard nowadays to find/buy decent rubbish sacks, which don't split as soon as you try to lift them.
    Costco. Massive roll £11.50.

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    You need the Phoenix Nights Heavy duty black bin bags.
    https://youtu.be/TFX55Z28OSE

Quote Originally Posted by Toad monitor View Post
    Costco. Massive roll £11.50.
    All I need now is a Costco nearby to save me the 120 mile round trip...

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    You need the Phoenix Nights Heavy duty black bin bags.
    https://youtu.be/TFX55Z28OSE
    Scary!

why do most drivers refuse to use bus lanes ontside of their operational periods ? I assume most drivers are able to read, but that might be my mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    I assume most drivers are able to read, but that might be my mistake.
    Never take sensible everyday $h1t for granted, there a HUGE number of HUGE bellends behind the wheels of the vehicles on our roads.

why do most drivers refuse to use bus lanes ontside of their operational periods ? I assume most drivers are able to read, but that might be my mistake.
    I don’t use them. I’d rather use the regular lane and avoid driving through the bus lane at the wrong time.

What is annoying is drivers who start braking when lights are green and then speeding up as they go amber, leaving me at a red light.

That's a good thing though surely, leaves the bus lane for you to nip up the inside.

Master
    If it's anything like Glasgow city centre then the whole system is designed to shake you down for as many fines as possible.
    I imagine lots stay out of the lanes to be on the safe side.

Master
    ^^^^^ every large City in the UK is now designed to grab as much money from the motorist as possible, easy-easy pickings.

Quote Originally Posted by Browners View Post
    ^^^^^ every large City in the UK is now designed to grab as much money from the motorist as possible, easy-easy pickings.
    I believe you’re entirely mistaken: because the cities were never designed to handle the amount of traffic that plagues them nowadays, the measures taken are meant to discourage you from driving in them by aiming where it hurts most.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I believe you’re entirely mistaken: because the cities were never designed to handle the amount of traffic that plagues them nowadays, the measures taken are meant to discourage you from driving in them by aiming where it hurts most.
    This.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Absolutely.

Master
    Yes and rightly so. Cars cause pollution and everything that can be done to reduce inner city mileage should be done with alacrity and enthusiasm. Try thinking of your grandchildren instead of yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Yes and rightly so. Cars cause pollution and everything that can be done to reduce inner city mileage should be done with alacrity and enthusiasm. Try thinking of your grandchildren instead of yourself.
    That´s the spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Not rightly so. There are 76 cities in the UK. Only one has an underground system, very few have a tram network and some, like the city where I live, doesn't have a centralised bus station. And thanks to Beeching cuts, villages like ours lost the rail link into the city.

I'd love to be able to get the train into the city, or have my kids cycle there but the government pulled up the tracks and put a dual carriage way in-between us and the city centre. So when thinking of the kids, the car is the safest and most convenient way to travel.

I could get from Leeds to Alicante cheaper the train to Kings Cross –*which is outrageous. A Boeing 737 cost $100m, and seats 189 people, a 9-car Azuma train can hold 611 passengers and costs £45m. There's no way on earth that Train travel should be more expensive that flying yet it is.

If the government really want us to ditch the car, they've got to offer a credible alternative.

The feeding frenzy over the MoonSwatch (other than the resale value).

I drove from Hampshire and parked right beside Waterloo station during the strikes, the irony! It actually worked out cheaper (fuel and parking) than a train ticket wood have cost for one person! 1 hour 45 drive versus a 20 min walk and 1:10 on the train, so not much slower either. I’ll be riding my bike when the weather picks up.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Not rightly so. There are 76 cities in the UK. Only one has an underground system, very few have a tram network and some, like the city where I live, doesn't have a centralised bus station. And thanks to Beeching cuts, villages like ours lost the rail link into the city.

I'd love to be able to get the train into the city, or have my kids cycle there but the government pulled up the tracks and put a dual carriage way in-between us and the city centre. So when thinking of the kids, the car is the safest and most convenient way to travel.

I could get from Leeds to Alicante cheaper the train to Kings Cross –*which is outrageous. A Boeing 737 cost $100m, and seats 189 people, a 9-car Azuma train can hold 611 passengers and costs £45m. There's no way on earth that Train travel should be more expensive that flying yet it is.

If the government really want us to ditch the car, they've got to offer a credible alternative.
    Last time I went First Class from Harrogate (via Leeds) on LNER it was just less than £100 return (just before Xmas 22)?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Agree they really do, out in the sticks public transports gotten worse these last few years, decade or two and it wasn't all that 40 years ago!

Master
    Not rightly so. There are 76 cities in the UK. Only one has an underground system, very few have a tram network.

Good points made Chris, any alternative transport from the car is non existent in Bristol. Our bus service is an absolute shambles and only getting worse, bus lanes everywhere and hardly any buses going down them.
    We had a congestion charge come into action last year November and all it has achieved is now clog up the areas 1.5 miles outside of the zone, how is that helping our kids/grandchildren as a lot of these areas are where people actually live.

Don't Tyneside and Glasgow have underground systems?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Don't Tyneside and Glasgow have underground systems?
    Indeed, Glasgow has a complete system and Newcastle- a hybrid system.

Hard to believe you can be out by a factor of 3.

Master
    Developers (I used to be one) who turn off the browser spell checking in text boxes. Why? Fasthosts webmail I'm looking at you!

I think you are mixing 2 issues: the local authorities and the government. The former only has a limited say in expensive infrastructure projects like a tramway or an underground, let alone on rail lines and stations.
    Towns and cities want cleaner air and fewer congestions. With an inexistent budget and complete lack of appetite to increase it and fund better services (and public transport would probably not be first priority for most anyway) their only weapon is to make driving more expensive.
    Unfortunately Bus companies are private and will decide which lines and frequencies they run. It's a catch 22 as with not enough buses fewer people switch to public transport and with fewer customers they run fewer buses.
    Unfortunately car drivers have shown an uncanny resilience to driving, some because of their personal circumstances (like a few examples above), others for reasons similar to gun ownership in the US ("it's my God given right").
    My 85 yo FiL would gladly go medieval on the different people who have tried to make Paris more bike and public transport friendly (I must say they made a right mess of it, generating traffic jams where there used to be none ).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I think you are mixing 2 issues: the local authorities and the government. The former only has a limited say in expensive infrastructure projects like a tramway or an underground, let alone on rail lines and stations.
    Towns and cities want cleaner air and fewer congestions. With an inexistent budget and complete lack of appetite to increase it and fund better services (and public transport would probably not be first priority for most anyway) their only weapon is to make driving more expensive.
    Unfortunately Bus companies are private and will decide which lines and frequencies they run. It's a catch 22 as with not enough buses fewer people switch to public transport and with fewer customers they run fewer buses.
    Unfortunately car drivers have shown an uncanny resilience to driving, some because of their personal circumstances (like a few examples above), others for reasons similar to gun ownership in the US ("it's my God given right").
    My 85 yo FiL would gladly go medieval on the different people who have tried to make Paris more bike and public transport friendly (I must say they made a right mess of it, generating traffic jams where there used to be none ).
    You won't need a car when you get your 15 minute city. Probably won't get a permit to use it if you have one!

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/...ys-councillor/
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Why Apple call that device a 'TV'.

Master
    Walking in the road when the pavements haven’t been cleared of snow and are icy - very sensible.

Doing so with your back to oncoming traffic and while wearing over ear headphones - suicidal.
    Last edited by David_D; 19th January 2023 at 16:49.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Walking in the road when the pavements haven’t been cleared of snow and are icy - very sensible.

Doing do with your back to oncoming traffic and while wearing over ear headphones - suicidal.

Craftsman
    Seemingly endless news articles, rule changes and legal action regarding concussion in rugby, and yet no one ever mentions boxing.

Master
    Establishments that serve breakfast that don't open until 09:00.