closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sportspeople / Athlete Participants required for a PhD research project.

Sportspeople / Athlete Participants required for a PhD research project.

Hi all,

I've seen other posts reaching out for help regarding research projects so thought I would try here also, and it's a contemporary topic that me be of interest to some. Happy to delete if the big man feels inappropriate.

As some of you may know I'm currently doing a PhD in mental health in sport. Part 2 of the study involves recruiting athletes (from any sport) to take part on an online survey to investigate their perceptions of mental health in sport. All athletes must be 18 years old or over.

I have a deadline of end of April to interview 30 athletes, I'm currently sitting on 15 so I would be extremely grateful if anyone on this good forum would be interested in taking part or may know of someone who would. I'll add some more information below along with the infographic I have been using on social media.

Everything is confidential all full anonymity is provided, and I'm happy to discuss further in private or chat to groups of athletes about the project.

Many thanks

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My name is Gavin Meek, I am a PhD Research Student at Ulster University, my research is entitled ‘Athletes’ perceptions of mental health in sport’. The aim of the research project is to obtain the athletes’ own perception of mental health in sport.

To carry out this study, it is necessary to invite and recruit athletes to take part in the research project. Participants will be required to take part in a semi-structured interview that will last between 60-90 minutes, this will be an online video interview and will be audio recorded. The interview will assess the athletes’ perceptions of mental health in sport. When this is finished the athletes will have fulfilled the research requirements and will not be asked to commit any more of their time. All participants will have full anonymity and can withdraw from the process at any time without providing a reason.

For this research study, we are looking for athletes aged 18 and over, from the following three categories; these are: (a) Elite athlete, (b) Competitive athlete, or (c) Recreational athlete. Definition of each type of athlete is shown as follows:

Elite athlete: can be categorised as sportspeople who take part in regular structured training, often over four-year cycles, to compete at Olympic, intercollegiate, or professional levels (Reardon et al., 2019).

Competitive athlete: competitive athletes compete against others in official competitions usually in annual cycles and attend organised training sessions in preparation for their competitions, but do not compete at elite levels (Pelliccia et al., 2005).

Recreational athlete: individuals (can be a member of a team) who take part in sport on a non-competitive basis, free from regular or inconsistent training requirements and without the pressure to be victorious over others which are characteristics of elite and competitive athletes (Pelliccia et al., 2005).

If you are a sport governing body / club official, I would be most grateful if you could pass this information on to the athletes at your club for their consideration. Athletes wishing to take part can reply directly to this email. If you would like any further information, please do not hesitate to contact either myself or my research supervisor Dr Kyle Paradis, contact details are provided at the bottom of this email.

Kind regards,

Gavin Meek

Contact details

Chief Investigator – Dr Kyle Paradis
    Lecturer, School of Sport, Ulster University, Jordanstown
    Email – k.paradis@ulster.ac.uk

Student Investigator – Gavin Meek
    PhD Researcher, School of Sport, Ulster University, Jordanstown
    Email – meek-g1@ulster.ac.uk

[IM
    G][/IMG]

Master
    This is a really interesting topic of research. I would have put my son forward but unfortunately he is under 18 currently.

Hope you get some take-up from here as there are some on here that are pretty active.

Good luck.

Grand Master
    Happy to partake
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    This is a really interesting topic of research. I would have put my son forward but unfortunately he is under 18 currently.

Hope you get some take-up from here as there are some on here that are pretty active.

Good luck.
    Thank you for the kind words bambam, and apologies for inclusion criteria being over 18 years old!

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Happy to partake
    Very kind of you, I'll PM you (first thing tomorrow morning) as I'll need to fire of participant information sheet, consent form and arrange a suitable time for interview.

Thank you very much, I really appreciate it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m happy to partake but I don’t have any available time this week.

I’m a current sailing national champion and recently represented GBR at the cycling masters world championships but would probably fit your recreational category as I’m uncoached.
    Last edited by Montello; 12th April 2022 at 08:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I’m happy to partake but I don’t have any available time this week.
    That would be great, thank you.

Master
    Happy to help - I represent GB in age group duathlon (through British Triathlon),at European and World Championship level. Then on the cycling and running threads here there are some excellent athletes you can reach out to such as Trident7.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    Happy to help - I represent GB in age group duathlon (through British Triathlon),at European and World Championship level. Then on the cycling and running threads here there are some excellent athletes you can reach out to such as Trident7.
    Hi Andrzej, that's very king of you; thank you very much. I'll PM you this morning as I require email to send further details

Also thank you for highlighting the the two threads.

Gavin

Hello Gavin, the project sounds very interesting- if you are still needing participants let me know via PM

Quote Originally Posted by Mr G Imp View Post
    Hello Gavin, the project sounds very interesting- if you are still needing participants let me know via PM
    Hello sir, yes still need volunteers, thank you very much I really appreciate it. I will email tomorrow with further details.

Unfortunately, I'm at a family funeral today so no access to laptop.

Speak soon.

Hi all,

Going to bump this, I've had four athletes from the TZ-UK community take part and their input has been tremendously helpful. I'm still open for more volunteers to take part.

Thank you all

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'd be happy to take part

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I'd be happy to take part
    Thank you very much, I have sent you a PM :-)

Blog Entries
    I belong to the local road running club who I train with twice a week with Parkrun and long run weekend training.

Through the Spring and summer I race but not Uber competitively, more about bettering my times.

Happy to help if I fit a category.

Pitch

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    I belong to the local road running club who I train with twice a week with Parkrun and long run weekend training.

Through the Spring and summer I race but not Uber competitively, more about bettering my times.

Happy to help if I fit a category.

Pitch
    Hi Pitch,

Thank you, yes you definitely do fit and would be great to have you participate.

Could you send me a PM with an email address that I can send further details.

Many thanks

Gavin

PM me, I may be able to participate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    PM me, I may be able to participate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Hi there,

Thank you very much. Will PM you tomorrow morning.

Gavin
    Last edited by Guz; 19th April 2022 at 21:01.

Hi all,
    Another shameless bump. The forum has been inspiring and the contribution from all involved has been fantastic.

I've to wrap this phase up by end of April and would be very grateful to recruit a few more volunteers. I especially would welcome competitive and elite athletes, from any sport. I have more or less recruited the recreational athlete quota.

Many thanks for taking time to read this.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Anyone on the fence about participating should give it a go. I actually enjoyed the process and got plenty out of it and had the satisfaction of helping the research.
    Last edited by Montello; 25th April 2022 at 22:35.

Grand Master
    Likewise, I found myself taking a look within and reflecting on the experience like never before
    RIAC

Anyone on the fence about participating should give it a go. I actually enjoyed the process and got plenty out of it and had the satisfaction of helping the research.
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Likewise, I found myself taking a look within and reflecting on the experience like never before

Thank you very much gentlemen, it is very much appreciated. I have interview transcripts available for those who wish to view.

The input from forum members has been invaluable to the research project, so much so that I was able to present some of the findings, in conference, to the Division of Sport and Exercise Psychology section of the British Psychological Society. Conference was in Swansea, Nov' 2022.

If any of the former participants would like volunteer further, I have two additional questions, that perhaps I should have asked first time round, this would enhance the findings even further. It's not until I have got this far into the project and subsequent analysis that themes emerge which further investigation would be beneficial. Should take no more than 20 minutes, same format i.e. video call, and because you have already signed consent form there is no paperwork to do. Would be great to do before 22nd January.

Many thanks.
    Last edited by Guz; 9th January 2023 at 16:31.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m happy to offer more time, pm me.

I’m happy to offer more time, pm me.
    Thanks very much sir, will PM later this evening ;-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Guz View Post
    Happy to be involved again if you need me.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    Happy to be involved again if you need me.
    Thanks sir, will PM tonight ;-)