closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for an 18th birthday watch

Suggestions for an 18th birthday watch

My son turns 18 soon. Time flies! We were thinking of getting him a watch as a present to mark the occasion.

Not a fancy multi-thousand euro thing that will inevitably get damaged / lost / stolen during the next couple of years, but a classy piece up to 1000 euro.

He is not a WIS and hasn’t shown much more than a passing interest in my obsession over the years (beyond value - perhaps he is what some people define as WIS!).

I was thinking it needs to be quite sporty, probably with GMT as he will be travelling on a gap year soon, robust, not a homage. He won’t want any crazy designs either. It should not be digital. I think an automatic wind rather than battery powered. Something he will be happy to wear through his student days and maybe beyond. He won’t want a pre worn classic.

I’m sure there are other criteria that slip my mind now but will add them as the thread develops.

Please let me know your suggestions.

Oh and we haven’t got long so it needs to be something readily available without waiting lists.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots to choose from and it’s a good time with the sales.

What about this one?

https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Oris-Di...7-5/p/17600987

Or if more sporty this one

https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Seiko-P...7J1/p/18280033

Or this with gmt

https://www.bankslyon.co.uk/longines...atch-l37284566
    Last edited by tz-uk73; 10th January 2023 at 09:57.

There are plenty of threads on similar subjects but if I were you maybe go for a Seiko or Citizen GMT maybe an eco drive
    Good water resistance, bullet proof, not likely to attract attention on the gap year and great lume for when you are in the middle of no where.

Master
    To be honest OP I think it's a bad idea. You say he hasn't shown any interest in watches but, you're going to she'll out upto €1000 on something he will probably just throw in a draw.
    Why not ask him? If he does say he would like a watch then let him choose. Otherwise just give him the 1k and let him buy what he wants.

How about something like this. I am sure with a little research you will be able to also get 15- 20% discount on one.

https://www.chisholmhunter.co.uk/sei...caAoeeEALw_wcB

Master
    This is a classic case of an enthusiast trying to impose his enthusiasm onto a son who just does not give a damn.

The son will receive the watch, will smile at Daddy, thank him politely and will be disappointed in reality. The watch will never be sold out of respect but it will spend decades sitting in a closed drawer.

My advice is simple, let your son enjoy what interests him and not what interests you.

Buy him a ticket to Paris, he will really enjoy that.
    Last edited by Mick P; 10th January 2023 at 11:10.

Master
    If he isn't massively into watches and doesn't wear one everyday then i wouldn't discount quartz. If the watch automatic had stopped will he be bothered to set it each especially if it has day/date as well??

On that basis I'm suggesting the Longines VHP GMT quartz.

https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Longine...MaAilDEALw_wcB

https://www.bankslyon.co.uk/longines...0aAlj2EALw_wcB

If it has to be automatic I really like the Maen Hudson GMT its also a smaller alternative.

https://www.maenwatches.com/products...-38-gmt-agm-01

How about a Dreadnought Voyager?

M

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    This is a classic case of an enthusiast trying to impose his enthusiasm onto a son who just does not give a damn.

The son will receive the watch, will smile at Daddy, thank him politely and will be disappointed in reality. The watch will never be sold out of respect but it will spend decades sitting in a closed drawer.

My advice is simple, let your son enjoy what interests him and not what interests you.

I agree with Mick. Better still, give him £1000 towards his gap year flights. That way you’re giving him something he’s keen on and will remember for the rest of his life

Or, buy a £300 seiko and give him the rest to spend as he wishes.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Thanks for the tips so far and please keep them coming. I don’t normally go for GMTs so this is a new sector for me.

I know I’ve seen threads like this before but I find it hard to track them down, so this is very much appreciated.

It’s not me forcing my ideas onto my son - this was in fact my wife’s idea and she asked me to come up with ideas. I can’t go against that now, can I? And don’t worry, its not an either/or situation- he will get to Paris (or wherever) and have enough pocket money on his gap year!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    My approach has been to give my kids a decent but dirt cheap watch and then see how it fares. Which is why my youngest daughter has a couple of nice Omega and my oldest son has an increasingly battered Poljot.

Not a GMT but don't Nomos offer a range which occupy this niche pretty well...

Master
    We offered the same for our son's 18th. I think I suggested a Tudor BB at the time. He basically did not want the responsibility of an expensive watch. So we dropped the idea. He used a cheap Casio at the time which tbh was just as well as he got it totalled on a Uni ski trip but was an easy cheap replacement. For his 21st he got a Casio 35th Anniversary model which he really loves. Now he is a bit older still he is gradually getting his own collection of ones he actually wants.

Just get him a solar, atomic G-Shock and it will probably survive more or less anything with no need to think about setting it etc.

Can only agree. G Shock for the win.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Not GMT's but a CWC auto diver is pretty indestructible and he can put whatever colour nato on it he wants. Just over the 1k tho.
    These look good imo - https://www.seikoboutique.co.uk/prod...-60s-ssa449j1/
    I also think the Tissot PRX Powermatic 80 is pretty hard to beat in the sub 1k category, and would leave change for travelling.

Master
    Another vote for the g-shock. Perfect for an 18 year old travelling. And you never know may start his interest!

Master

Bought my son that for his 21st 3 yrs ago.
    The budget was 1K and I think that was about 1.1K
    He wears it every day to work.
    I would let him choose though.

As someone else did put it above, I would say one of the new seiko 5 skx gmt.
    400 pounds should feel like less of a pressure to wear the watch babying it than if it was 1000, and it meets all your criterias pretty much

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bmpf View Post
    Thanks for the tips so far and please keep them coming. I don’t normally go for GMTs so this is a new sector for me.

I know I’ve seen threads like this before but I find it hard to track them down, so this is very much appreciated.

It’s not me forcing my ideas onto my son - this was in fact my wife’s idea and she asked me to come up with ideas. I can’t go against that now, can I? And don’t worry, its not an either/or situation- he will get to Paris (or wherever) and have enough pocket money on his gap year!

I had no interest in watches when I was twenty one and I cannot remember what watch I even wore.

The only reason for your wife choosing a watch is due to your enthusiasm. If I was allowed to be a fly on the wall in your house I would bet my bottom dollar that you son wants more things than a watch that he had no choice in.

Kids today want experiences not shiny goodies so the gap year thing or a trip to somewhere is a good idea.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post

Bought my son that for his 21st 3 yrs ago.
    The budget was 1K and I think that was about 1.1K
    He wears it every day to work.
    I would let him choose though.
    Well you have to admit that the main reason for buying him a watch is that you are keen enough on watches to come here and buy loads for yourself. Letting him choose is way better.

The best bet would have been to let him choose one of yours, at least that makes it more personal.

Personally I would let my son choose what he wants.

Many a time I've been bought something nice but really wished it was something else.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Did similar with my son for his 16th and he ended up with an Everest, the only time he hasn't worn it since is when he was in hospital.
    He has his eye on something more expensive for his 21st.

Sent from my SM-F707B using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Get a Tag heuer

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    To be honest OP I think it's a bad idea. You say he hasn't shown any interest in watches but, you're going to she'll out upto €1000 on something he will probably just throw in a draw.
    Why not ask him? If he does say he would like a watch then let him choose. Otherwise just give him the 1k and let him buy what he wants.
    100% ^^.

Journeyman
    Nomos, Sinn or a Tissot PRX would be good.

Alternatively you could get him something vintage from his birth year

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk

Craftsman

For what it's worth, I was bought a watch for my 18th by my family and did exactly what you said. It was nothing special, probably cost about £50 from H Samuel, but a lot of money to us at the time. I had no real interest in it though, wore it half heartedly for a while and it ended up in a draw.

Decades later though and I absolutely treasure it. It doesn't get worn much because I lost the links for the bracelet and I can't seem to find a strap that works, but I'll never let it go and it's the first thing I'd save if the house was on fire (after the mrs and the kids obviously).

Sometimes you've got to play the long game!

Master
    Imagine his disappointment when he receives a present he doesn't want, then finds out it was chosen for him by a bunch of strangers on a watch forum.

Master
    Personally I would give him the budget and walk him through some suggestions and see where he lands. He then gets the joy of looking at different brands and designs. You get to take him watch shopping and he ends up with a watch he really wants.

Nay, nay and thrice, nay! Up your budget by a hundred quid and give him the grand. Then, if you want to give him a watch, a solar, atomic G-Shock will fit the bill nicely (GW-5610U).

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Not GMT's but a CWC auto diver is pretty indestructible and he can put whatever colour nato on it he wants. Just over the 1k tho.
    These look good imo - https://www.seikoboutique.co.uk/prod...-60s-ssa449j1/
    I also think the Tissot PRX Powermatic 80 is pretty hard to beat in the sub 1k category, and would leave change for travelling.
    What is up with the sub-dial on that one - it goes to 31?

Edit: Oh, that's the date function!

Brilliant suggestion, definitely worth making.

I love this forum.
    "Any ideas for a watch for my son's 18th?"
    "Yeah, don't buy him one"

Well you have to admit that the main reason for buying him a watch is that you are keen enough on watches to come here and buy loads for yourself. Letting him choose is way better.

The best bet would have been to let him choose one of yours, at least that makes it more personal.
    Why buy him a ticket to Paris then, because you like the place?

Tissot PRX offers the best bang for the buck IMHO. A fantastic first watch

Got the 90's PRX for my 21st. Sadly stolen last year.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Both of my sons have said they have no interest in watches other than those they have seen me wear. Give him one of yours and the cash to do with what he wants.

Relatively common to buy someone a watch for a milestone birthday. It's nothing to do with watch enthusiasts in particular. Personally I think it's a nice idea, something he can keep for years to come.

A few suggestions:
    • Seiko prospect kinetic gmt / Seiko kinetic worldtime gmt / Seiko 5 gmt
    • Victorinox Fieldforce GMT
    • Luminox GMT
    • Steinhart GMT

Non-Steinhart under £250 and Steinhart c£500.

Of the above, my faves:
    https://www.creationwatches.com/prod...tch-23564.html
    https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/g...-blue-red.html

P.S. The Steinhart may come with the risk of potentially being mugged for wearing a Rolex...

Quote Originally Posted by leo1790 View Post
    I love this forum.
    Any suggestions then, rather than just slating those who did give their opinion?
    Last edited by jukeboxs; 11th January 2023 at 04:38. Reason: P.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusty View Post
    For what it's worth, I was bought a watch for my 18th by my family and did exactly what you said. It was nothing special, probably cost about £50 from H Samuel, but a lot of money to us at the time. I had no real interest in it though, wore it half heartedly for a while and it ended up in a draw.

Decades later though and I absolutely treasure it. It doesn't get worn much because I lost the links for the bracelet and I can't seem to find a strap that works, but I'll never let it go and it's the first thing I'd save if the house was on fire (after the mrs and the kids obviously).

Sometimes you've got to play the long game!
    In fairness, for clarity, Mick probably doesn't buy green bananas at this stage..
    Last edited by Passenger; 11th January 2023 at 10:38.

I love this forum.
    ^^^exactly this!
    A nice watch for a milestone is nothing too uncommon, including for normal people that don’t spend their days on watch forums

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Why buy him a ticket to Paris then, because you like the place?
    It could be Paris, Amsterdam or any city that he has expressed and interest in.

He’d probably prefer an Apple Watch…

I think the G shock suggestions are a good shout...and let him pocket the cash...if travelling then these can be hooked up to phone for rapid time changes and fly under the radar...https://g-shock.co.uk/ga-b2100
    Then let him develop a liking for watches at his own pace...or for something a bit more special a quartz Oceanus or any of Eddie's offerings are hard to beat

How about the new timex titanium . A light but tough watch .

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    How about one of these? Multi-band 6, chrono, alarm, world time, timer, all on an analogue watch that looks pretty nice and has 100m WR. I have one, and have been very impressed. 39.5mm so not too big. Leaves a wedge of $$ for him to spend as he wishes. The hands do all sorts of whizzy things, which is cool. The timer even runs backwards!

Last edited by apm101; 11th January 2023 at 13:37.

Craftsman
    Was going to say Sinn 556 and pleased to see it's been suggested. Sinn 556i is the modern Explorer imo.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    Imagine his disappointment when he receives a present he doesn't want, then finds out it was chosen for him by a bunch of strangers on a watch forum.
    Ooh! Harsh! But very true I suspect....

Master
    You mentioned a GMT, this looks promising and good value. Lovely specs at 38.5mm and only 10mm thick, nicely compact for a GMT.

I doubt that would mean a lot to an 18 year old with no real interest in watches, but it got my attention!

https://www.traskawatch.com/collections/venturer

Otherwise, the smaller size PRX is a good shout, Timex make some pretty cool choices for a first watch, or maybe it's time to queue for a MoonSwatch.

I love this forum.
    Yeah and even more lame- ask him.
    But serves you right for asking a bunch of strangers on internet many of who have never surprised their partners or family members with a gift