closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dust under crystal. Send for repair or put up with?

Dust under crystal. Send for repair or put up with?

Not a major problem by any stretch but what would you do?

Spotted some ‘dust’ that seems to be on the underside of the crystal or possibly trapped between the underside of the crystal and the rehaut of my King Seiko. It’s not very big but in certain lighting my eye now is drawn to it. I also made the mistake of ‘inspecting’ it with a loupe and discovered more dust on the dial (albeit very fine particles and not visible in normal conditions (inside large red circle)).

My options are, leave as it is and get it sorted during a service or send it in for warranty ‘repair’. The watch is currently running at an average of +0.5spd and I wouldn’t want this affected if I do send it back. Do I just forget about it or send it back?

That's quite a lot of dust to have on a new watch; I'd be sending it back. I can't imagine them touching the movement if it's just a crystal clean job?

Usually a big mistake looking at your watch with a loupe as you spot all sorts of stuff you can't see with the naked eye. Get the dust in there now sorted and you'll spot something else when it comes back or after a bit of wear. I'd live with it TBH.

If the thread was 'is this dust', fair enough, but find a fault with an item and it must be returned for a refund, not a repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdiver View Post
    Usually a big mistake looking at your watch with a loupe as you spot all sorts of stuff you can't see with the naked eye. Get the dust in there now sorted and you'll spot something else when it comes back or after a bit of wear. I'd live with it TBH.
    Completely agree about the loupe. However the piece at the edge of the crystal is clearly visible without the loupe. I only used the loupe to inspect it further. Think they would have to pop the crystal to remove that bit. Never used Seiko’s UK Service department so have no experience of how good they are but since watch is under warranty I’d prefer to send to them.

If it's a new watch, I'd send it back for a refund or replacement. If that's not an option then warranty repair is the way to go.

I had a new CWC RN Diver that had dust under the glass. It was the last one in stock of the matte top version so I couldn't get a replacement. It went back to CWC and they sorted it in two weeks.

There shouldn't ever be dust under a watch glass, surely? Shows lack of care IMO.

Yep, couldn’t be having that on a KS

Thanks guys, going to pack this up and send it in for a warranty repair. The dial is definitely sub standard as there is also a little excess strand of paint coming from the I in King. Again this can’t be seen with the naked eye but can be seen in the cropped image below. I might even be cheeky and ask for a replacement dial and see what they say. It’s a brilliant little watch and these ‘issues’ aren’t really bothering me too much but might as well get it sorted now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    Thanks guys, going to pack this up and send it in for a warranty repair. The dial is definitely sub standard as there is also a little excess strand of paint coming from the I in King. Again this can’t be seen with the naked eye but can be seen in the cropped image below. I might even be cheeky and ask for a replacement dial and see what they say. It’s a brilliant little watch and these ‘issues’ aren’t really bothering me too much but might as well get it sorted now.

I wouldn't say that's being cheeky; you don't get that kind of slop on a standard Seiko dial, so definitely shouldn't get it on a KS. Frankly I'd push for a new unit as this one seems to have quite the count now, which might be indicative of perhaps it not being as thoroughly checked elsewhere too?

Maybe they'll give you a KS/GS loupe to check with before you leave the shop with the next one!

Ah, the K’ing Seiko….

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I wouldn't say that's being cheeky; you don't get that kind of slop on a standard Seiko dial, so definitely shouldn't get it on a KS. Frankly I'd push for a new unit as this one seems to have quite the count now, which might be indicative of perhaps it not being as thoroughly checked elsewhere too?

Maybe they'll give you a KS/GS loupe to check with before you leave the shop with the next one!
    Unfortunately I bought it online so couldn’t check it out beforehand. Although I wouldn’t have picked up on the dial with the naked eye anyway. I got a good discount so I’m happy enough to send it off with a cover letter to Seiko UK and I’ll ask about a dial replacement. Will update this thread in due course.

Blog Entries
    Good luck - for what it’s worth, the UK service centre have always been most helpful to me; supplied various screws and oddments whenever I’ve asked and they did a free just-out-of- warranty repair on my Snowflake (new crown and tube) with a very short turnaround.

Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain View Post
    Good luck - for what it’s worth, the UK service centre have always been most helpful to me; supplied various screws and oddments whenever I’ve asked and they did a free just-out-of- warranty repair on my Snowflake (new crown and tube) with a very short turnaround.
    Thanks for that. The watch was sent yesterday to Seiko UK so just a waiting game now.

Update: Watch returned on Thursday so around 4 weeks turnaround. Dust removed and dial replaced as requested. A no fuss service from Seiko.

Edit: Having timed the watch for the past couple of days, it must have been regulated also. It was already keeping good time but now seems to be even better and much more stable no matter what position it’s kept in over night. Right decision to send back.

Last edited by Mr Tetley; 20th February 2023 at 10:58.

Very good to hear

Grand Master
    Glad to hear its all sorted. It makes sense for the service centre to check how the watch is running and optimise the regulation.