closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Visiting Bath

Visiting Bath

Hi visiting Bath in march as I’ve booked tickets for Neil Gaimans “ocean at the end of the lane “. And I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for hotel and pre theatre restaurants. As it’s a birthday treat willing to push the boat out a little. One caveat partner is vegetarian.
    Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman

Bath

Acorn Vegetarian in North Parade is a nice little place.
    If sea food is ok, the The Scallop Shell is great

Regarding hotels, depends on what your budget is, but The Royal Crescent is splendid and in a good location.
    If your budget is slightly more modest, the The Bird Hotel is a good shout ( and also centrally located)

Visiting Bath

Tripadvisor is always worth a look. Top veggie and vegan friendly restaurants

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restau...t_England.html

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’ve lived in Bath for over 30 years. Whenever I get visitors, my favourite touristy thing to do is the guided tour to the roof of the Abbey via the clock & bell room. Very interesting.

I'm (fairly) local and pretty familiar with Bath.

On the restaurant front, I'll let others put forward suggestions as I've not been anywhere stand-out since Bistro La Barrique closed a few years ago (for the owner / chef to pursue a different food business).

However, if you find yourself looking for a coffee, the only place I've found to sell consistently exceptional coffee is The Colombian Company (no connection to myself). Their Abbey Gate shop is very near Bath Abbey: https://thecolombiancompany.com/our-locations/

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CamCG; 22nd January 2023 at 12:00.

Watching with interest as our eldest will be moving to Bath later this year to start studying at college, and I'm a veggie.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    I’ve booked a B & B in Bath recently and beware of £17 a day parking charges recently introduced by the council for on street parking if you’re not a resident. Applies to accommodation within 1 mile of the centre apparently.

The wife and i are in bath normally once a month and we love the place, my advice is to just drop a pin in to anywhere in the city and explore all options. I cant remember ever being disappointed about eating anywhere in Bath.

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    I’ve booked a B & B in Bath recently and beware of £17 a day parking charges recently introduced by the council for on street parking if you’re not a resident. Applies to accommodation within 1 mile of the centre apparently.
    When my wife and daughter visited for the college interviews recently, they chose to stay in a self catering cottage with onsite parking on the south side of the city and travel in using the Odd Down P&R.

Well if you book a 2 hr slot at the Spa I would recommend it. Lovely place.

For exceptional food, just out of the centre is Menu Gordon Jones. An amazing restaurant that only does a tasting menu and they don’t tell you what the dishes are until you get them. It sounds off putting but you actually get to try things you normally wouldn’t and find that they are lovely!

I am not a vegetarian but I think if you let they know they will adapt the Menu.

Master
    Hotel Indigo in Bath is nice

www.hotelindigo.com/bath

Visiting Bath

Can’t speak for veggie restaurants, but Chai Walla is great for a veggie daytime snack.

Sotto Sotto is a stand out Italian restaurant.

Priory (maybe not a walk back), Queensberry (and it’s restaurant The Olive Tree), Royal Crescent are all good.

P&R runs 7 days now, good parking option as is SouthGate.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post

For exceptional food, just out of the centre is Menu Gordon Jones. An amazing restaurant that only does a tasting menu and they don’t tell you what the dishes are until you get them. It sounds off putting but you actually get to try things you normally wouldn’t and find that they are lovely!

I am not a vegetarian but I think if you let they know they will adapt the Menu.

Top rated Bath restaurant, only half a mile from my house....but booked up ages in advance & OP will br lucky to get a table if he's going in March even if he phones now

Blog Entries
    There's a review of No15 by Guest House, Bath in the Guardian today

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2...tels-in-the-uk

z

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Top rated Bath restaurant, only half a mile from my house....but booked up ages in advance & OP will br lucky to get a table if he's going in March even if he phones now
    I booked 4 weeks in advance. No issues. I may have got lucky but I understand lunch and dinner are the same menu so that may be another option

Master
    Spent a weekend there a few years ago and took a few pics. Nice place, I liked it.

Bin on holiday?
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Craftsman
    I went to the Circus Restaurant a couple of years ago. It's really good and was listed in the Top 20 Restaurants that foodies like.

It's not specifically vegan, but it had some vegetarian options on the menu.

https://www.thecircusrestaurant.co.uk/

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Wow thank you for all your suggestions and advice , just sitting down after sorting the kids out with a nice glass of Rioja and the laptop to book .

Craftsman
    Olive Tree, went in 2020. Superb food.

Don't be put off by availability try and get a table here I have been and it is an amazing experience especially if you get a glass of wine selected by the house to match your meal course.

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    I have a house in Bath and there is an option for residents to to get visitors passes for the newly introduced resident parking zones so your accommodation provider may offer these as part of the deal which may be cheaper - if not don't take them!
    Council gotta make some money somehow!

Quote Originally Posted by Pan16520 View Post
    Hi visiting Bath in march as I’ve booked tickets for Neil Gaimans “ocean at the end of the lane “. And I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for hotel and pre theatre restaurants. As it’s a birthday treat willing to push the boat out a little. One caveat partner is vegetarian.
    Thanks in advance

If you just want pre-theatre drinks The Griffin at the rear of the Theatre Royal is good for Cocktails and a decent beer (Bath Ales /St Austell)

Craftsman

What is accompanying the Warburtons Toastie in the first photo?

Master
    I am from near Bath.

Don't forget to do some window shopping at Mallory's. Usually some nice Pateks in the window!

Some of the best coffee in the country at Colonna and Smalls, maybe you have to be a bit of a coffee geek though...

To be honest, I don't tend to eat out in the really expensive places, have been to Sotto sotto and The Circus and both are really nice.

One of my favourite places now is actually a very well priced Taco place called Dos Dedos. Maybe for lunch? It really is very tasty!

Oh and I second Chai Walla, I tried that for the first time the other day, love me a good onion bhaji!
    Last edited by watchstudent; 24th January 2023 at 22:39.

So much information absolutely brilliant , thank you for all your suggestions
    So far booked the Abbey hotel Bath part of the Marriott group. Mallorys and the Griffin have been noted and placed on the list now I’m just working my way through the food options. I will let you know and obviously try and post some watch related pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Bath used to have a brilliant restaurant called the hole in the wall and I used it for business and social purposes for years but unfortunately it closed down under acrimonious circumstances.

I am fairly local to Bath and use the train because parking the car is a mega PITA but to be honest you cannot really go wrong in Bath as there is a wealth of good restaurants, pubs and coffee houses. As ever, if in doubt, Trustpilot is your friend.

Visiting Bath

Quote Originally Posted by Pan16520 View Post
    So much information absolutely brilliant , thank you for all your suggestions
    So far booked the Abbey hotel Bath part of the Marriott group. Mallorys and the Griffin have been noted and placed on the list now I’m just working my way through the food options. I will let you know and obviously try and post some watch related pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you’re here at the weekend pop in the shop, Loake Shoemakers, & say hello. Lots of local knowledge for food & drinks but the stand outs are Bosco for pizza, Walcot house for everything else (great steak) and a great little cocktail bar just down from your hotel called the Hideout.
    Mallorys obviously is a must.

Master
    I wanted to stop for a quick coffee in Bath today. £3.90 minimum for on street parking!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    I wanted to stop for a quick coffee in Bath today. £3.90 minimum for on street parking!
    That's why we use the train. Parking in Bath is a nightmare.

Master
    For exceptional food, just out of the centre is Menu Gordon Jones….

They absolutely won’t.

For some reason Bath doesn’t really cater very well for vegetarians. Acorn vegetarian kitchen (now called Oak Restaurant) is ok, but not a patch on when it was Demuths.

The Green Rocket is also popular, and I used to go to Yak Yeti Yak a lot - must return at some point. Also the Raven for good beer and a pie (veggie options) - they may have a plaque up to commemorate Kier Starmer getting into a fight with one of the owners…

Sotto Sotto is great - bargain Italian with great food and a great atmosphere. If you book now they may have a table free for March.

Other than that Bristol isn’t far away!

Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
    ...Yak Yeti Yak...
    Ooh excellent intel