closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Wood burner being fitted today

Quote Originally Posted by SlipperySam View Post
    It’d be interesting to see what the meter read if you stuck it near the chimney pot. Have you got a big stick? It’s different in rural areas but the trend of growing numbers in urban areas can’t be good.
    You’ll want this site then:

https://www.burneralert.org/

Journeyman
    Thanks. Tried putting a few random local postcodes in and it’s all good apparently. I also tried the Stanlow Oil refinery which is also well below guidance levels. Another site has it at three times the WHO guidelines though so who knows.
    Last edited by SlipperySam; 31st January 2023 at 00:10.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post
    We had the option of directing the flue out of the wall, but in an ideal situation we wanted it to go through the house to ensure an efficient draw of a room temp flue, rather than a freezing cold outside one, along with the added benefit of residual heat through the house... What we didn't want, was a random flue appearing in one of the bedrooms, looking rather out of place.

In truth, where we wanted to locate the log burner, by fluke, directly above is the fitted wardrobe of the master bedroom, and then the attic above that. All the local companies that we got quotes from were delighted with the chance layout - all of them said their least favourite jobs are the ones that require drilling through the exterior walls.

Wall behind stove is a gable, and centrally located in the house, so it's a straight line directly up, and then at the last minute, 2x 45degree bends to bring the storm collar just forward of the ridge line.

I have screened off the flue in the wardrobe using furniture panels to prevent clothes nearing it (side and rear), while adhering to regs/distances - it takes up a very small footprint and clothing space lost has been pretty minimal. The benefits are excellent. Zero issue with warming the flue, and what appears to be a second radiator in the master bedroom when the sliding wardrobe door is ajar.

One chap suggested that any heat from the double insulated flue would be negligible, while another company suggested 0.5kw of heat per metre of flue. The flue is around 7metres, and I can confirm, it gets as hot as a radiator would at maximum temp. Not enough to endanger a child touching it, but plenty to heat up the room.

Thank you for the comprehensive reply.

You lucky bugger, that worked out perfectly!

I love the idea of using the wasted flue heat to add warmth to another room. Brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post
    We had the option of directing the flue out of the wall, but in an ideal situation we wanted it to go through the house to ensure an efficient draw of a room temp flue, rather than a freezing cold outside one, along with the added benefit of residual heat through the house... What we didn't want, was a random flue appearing in one of the bedrooms, looking rather out of place.

In truth, where we wanted to locate the log burner, by fluke, directly above is the fitted wardrobe of the master bedroom, and then the attic above that. All the local companies that we got quotes from were delighted with the chance layout - all of them said their least favourite jobs are the ones that require drilling through the exterior walls.

Wall behind stove is a gable, and centrally located in the house, so it's a straight line directly up, and then at the last minute, 2x 45degree bends to bring the storm collar just forward of the ridge line.

I have screened off the flue in the wardrobe using furniture panels to prevent clothes nearing it (side and rear), while adhering to regs/distances - it takes up a very small footprint and clothing space lost has been pretty minimal. The benefits are excellent. Zero issue with warming the flue, and what appears to be a second radiator in the master bedroom when the sliding wardrobe door is ajar.

One chap suggested that any heat from the double insulated flue would be negligible, while another company suggested 0.5kw of heat per metre of flue. The flue is around 7metres, and I can confirm, it gets as hot as a radiator would at maximum temp. Not enough to endanger a child touching it, but plenty to heat up the room.

That’s interesting, we considered doing something like that and having the fire in the room, two of the companies we got to quote said we couldn’t on safety grounds, so we gave up on that idea.

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    Log burner rule change in England could land users with £300 fines

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64261624

B

Quote Originally Posted by bomberman View Post

B
    Yep as my post below but I'm interested to know how they’ll A-Police it and B- Measure it?

B

Complete tosh and totally unenforceable

Master

B
    Yeap. That’s if people use shit old leaky wood burners and shite wet unseasoned wood or coal , and so they should be fined. Luckily modern wood burners are far more efficient and cleaner than they used to be . I have two defra approved logburners in my house and we only burn seasoned or kiln dried wood. Saved loads this year on heating bills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    It’s just doesn’t stop:

Major health warning to anyone with a wood burning stove in their home

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/n...e-wood-8130915

Not sure of the date of the article

B

The dates of the article are the 9th & 10th Feb 2023. But it is referencing all of the older research from the other articles linked above.

It’s just doesn’t stop:

B
    750 times more particulates than a “truck” what a load of tosh, maybe it was a Lego truck, the problem with the syndicated press is they will publish any old rubbish without even fact finding it first, just look at all the fake or heavily distorted stories on Facebook every day now.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    750 times more particulates than a “truck” what a load of tosh, maybe it was a Lego truck, the problem with the syndicated press is they will publish any old rubbish without even fact finding it first, just look at all the fake or heavily distorted stories on Facebook every day now.
    It's not a 'load of old tosh' at all, I suggest you read the report from the EEB upon which the newspaper article is based...

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Anyone with any concerns can buy an air quality meter and then know the facts.

Our air quality is unaffected by the wood burner.

The worst air quality in our house is when next door has a bonfire in the garden.

Cooking also revs up the meter.

Wood burner hardly registers.

Burn dry wood, get your chimney swept and there is no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    It's not a 'load of old tosh' at all, I suggest you read the report from the EEB upon which the newspaper article is based...

R
    Didn’t the official report state that provided you burn kiln dried correct wood in a suitable wood burner pollution levels are within the acceptable limits. That article said all wood burners

Blog Entries
    It’s just doesn’t stop:

B
    Loved the follow up article!!!

READ NEXT:

Bargain £8.75 B&Q wood burning stove fuel burns hotter for longer and customers love it

Didn’t the official report state that provided you burn kiln dried correct wood in a suitable wood burner pollution levels are within the acceptable limits. That article said all wood burners
    Which report are you referring to? I can see nothing in the EEB that states what you've written and also what are the acceptable limits?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Which report are you referring to? I can see nothing in the EEB that states what you've written and also what are the acceptable limits?

R
    I have fully read the EEB report, it was actually written by a Danish organisation with an agenda, Denmark has banned older style burners since 2008, Denmark are trying to get the rest of the EU to ban the older burners, especially their Scandinavian neighbours.

This quite nicely summarises how other European countries burn wood https://www.charltonandjenrick.co.uk...und-the-world/

I never pretended to be an expert or even particularly knowledgeable but here is an argument against the biased EEB report https://stoveindustryalliance.com/si...on-comparison/

Master
    Any argument for and against must be taken with a pinch of salt, in that report it says “In 1 hour an Ecodesign stove will emit 0.72g of PM2.5. In that time a Euro 6 HGV will have produced up to 4.3g of PM2.5.” That’s all we’ll and good but the stoves only heated a room, the wagon will have moved 26 tons of product around 50 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    Any argument for and against must be taken with a pinch of salt, in that report it says “In 1 hour an Ecodesign stove will emit 0.72g of PM2.5. In that time a Euro 6 HGV will have produced up to 4.3g of PM2.5.” That’s all we’ll and good but the stoves only heated a room, the wagon will have moved 26 tons of product around 50 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    And they are grouping biomass with domestic wood burners

I have fully read the EEB report, it was actually written by a Danish organisation with an agenda, Denmark has banned older style burners since 2008, Denmark are trying to get the rest of the EU to ban the older burners, especially their Scandinavian neighbours.

This quite nicely summarises how other European countries burn wood https://www.charltonandjenrick.co.uk...und-the-world/

I never pretended to be an expert or even particularly knowledgeable but here is an argument against the biased EEB report https://stoveindustryalliance.com/si...on-comparison/
    You referenced an official report, is the EEB the one you are refering to?

As I said, I can see nothing in the EEB report that states that provided you burn kiln dried correct wood in a suitable wood burner pollution levels are within the acceptable limits. If I've missed it, then please highlight where it appeared.

R

I'd suggest that actual evidence from an air quality meter trumps any report using generalised data.

You referenced an official report, is the EEB the one you are refering to?

As I said, I can see nothing in the EEB report that states that provided you burn kiln dried correct wood in a suitable wood burner pollution levels are within the acceptable limits. If I've missed it, then please highlight where it appeared.

R
    And you seem to be ignoring the other reports that state the EEB report is inaccurate, why are you hung up on this particular report?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    I'd suggest that actual evidence from an air quality meter trumps any report using generalised data.
    This.

Seems to me external events make significantly more effect on air quality.

I measured in my garden over 900 pm2.5 when the neighbour had a bonfire.

Seems it can linger for a while if it’s not very windy.

And you seem to be ignoring the other reports that state the EEB report is inaccurate, why are you hung up on this particular report?
    I'm not 'hung up' on it at all, however you're saying you read: 'that if you burn kiln dried correct wood in a suitable wood burner pollution levels are within the acceptable limits'.
    So did you or not?

R

I'm not 'hung up' on it at all, however you're saying you read: 'that if you burn kiln dried correct wood in a suitable wood burner pollution levels are within the acceptable limits'.
    So did you or not?

R
    Of course I did, why would I lie, however I can’t find it now, or remember the exact search term I used. However that doesn’t change the fact that other bodies are challenging the report you referenced as I have shown.

Hi all

Getting our log burner fitted next month, to replace a rarely used open coal fire in the living room and hopefully reduce our oil usage.

Need to order some logs and so need somewhere to store them. I know you can buy ready made log stores, but what's peoples thoughts on repurposing this? We have a redundant rabbit hutch, a big one, double story, 6ft wide, 4ft high. If i take the doors off, will it do the job, or will that lack of ventilation on the sides, back and floor be an issue? Should i attack it a bit with a hole saw?

Cheers

Brighty

Master
    Realistically your buying dried timber so it would (wood) be fine I’d think
    Another matter maybe if your buying green logs to season
    You could always reverse it and cut the back out making it the front and have the mesh at the back but I’m sure it’s fine as is

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Realistically your buying dried timber so it would (wood) be fine I’d think
    Another matter maybe if your buying green logs to season
    You could always reverse it and cut the back out making it the front and have the mesh at the back but I’m sure it’s fine as is
    Great to repurpose it but you’ll be filling it up constantly especially if we get a stinker of a winter

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Great to repurpose it but you’ll be filling it up constantly especially if we get a stinker of a winter

Absolutely. That would get me through about three days of burning - I have around 15 tonnes in the garden (not all fully seasoned yet, but getting there) and will use at least half of that this winter

I think you would have to remove lots of wood at the back to get good airflow

Master
    I think you would have to remove lots of wood at the back to get good airflow
    But does he need good airflow ?
    If it’s seasoned - it really depends on how much you use your burner- I’d gents,ky gave mine on for a few hours most nights so that sort of storage would suit me but sounds like other members run theirs 24/7

Blog Entries
    Have used wood stores with just an open front and it dried fine. As long as it keeps most of the rain off they seem to work ok.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Cheers all

Will give it a go. Plan is to only use evenings and weekends, so shouldn't get though too much, though wife is home most days so if she starts lighting it, we could use more. Plan to buy a couple of dumpy bags of kiln dried logs and see how it goes. Place i'm buying the logs from sell log stores and they say there 'large' 6ft high 4 ft wide one hold 2-3 dumpy bags, so the hutch should swallow a similar amount

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Cheers all

Will give it a go. Plan is to only use evenings and weekends, so shouldn't get though too much, though wife is home most days so if she starts lighting it, we could use more. Plan to buy a couple of dumpy bags of kiln dried logs and see how it goes. Place i'm buying the logs from sell log stores and they say there 'large' 6ft high 4 ft wide one hold 2-3 dumpy bags, so the hutch should swallow a similar amount
    Give it a go by all means - just remember that 2-3 dumpy bags of seasoned wood will weigh (depending on type, moisture content etc) anything up to a tonne and the bottom of the hutch will not be designed for that. All you need to do is either knock the bottom out or fill the space beneath so it's supported.

Blog Entries
    Try to store a very limited amount of wood inside the house at any time. Try to burn it within 24hrs every time. Wood worms love timber floors, door posts etc.

A lot of people will respond with “I do ‘t have that problem!” And honestly, I’ve only seen it once. (We wanted to buy a house, a surveyor we’d hired to check the house pointed us at the holes…). But enough reason for us to limit the amount/time inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Cheers all

I can squeeze about 2 cubic meters in to mine and like you only use evenings and weekends. You could use 10 plus logs in an evening an can soon rattle through it.

Had this years delivery today, went for seasoned as others on here have advised, paid £90 per builder’s bag

All put away, I’m knackered now

Master
    Had this years delivery today, went for seasoned as others on here have advised, paid £90 per builder’s bag

All put away, I’m knackered now
    What size builder's bag, as various sizes, and makes a huge difference?

Been trying to educate a friend that his 80cm builders bag is in fact half the size of a 1m one volume wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    What size builder's bag, as various sizes, and makes a huge difference?

Been trying to educate a friend that his 80cm builders bag is in fact half the size of a 1m one volume wise.
    These are the full size,

Master
    These are the full size,
    Bargain! Where are you based?

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Bargain! Where are you based?
    North west essex

I made sure that we ordered it while the weather is still warm
    Last edited by adrianw; 31st August 2023 at 22:41.

5 x full size dumpy bags of fully seasoned ash, oak and some silver birch dropped off in our barn yesterday. £350 delivered and stacked.

Mates rates though.

Nice to feel 'ready for winter'.

Master
    Chunky logs delivered today.

They don’t stack as efficiently as the normal ones, but love the longer burn and lower flame.

Feel like I need a longer axe vs my X11 isn’t cleaving through some of them.

Friend gave me a couple dozen eucalyptus logs again, loving the spitting sounds from the oil.