closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: This method of buying Timefactors Smiths watches is so frustrating

Hybrid View

Blog Entries
    A famous poet once said ‘you can’t always get what you want’.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    But if you try sometime, you'll find
    You get what you need

Sadly, I'm with OP.
    I have 3 TF pieces and given that I will not be able to build the collection I'd like to, may end up letting these go.

I will not debate / challenge / condemn Eddie's business model / m.o.
    It's his company and he can do as he pleases.
    It's up to us whether we want to play along.

And @petay993 summed it up pretty well for me (on both watch makers).
    First World problems really - those should not steal our joy!

Quote Originally Posted by MHe225 View Post
    Sadly, I'm with OP.
    I have 3 TF pieces and given that I will not be able to build the collection I'd like to, may end up letting these go.

I will not debate / challenge / condemn Eddie's business model / m.o.
    It's his company and he can do as he pleases.
    It's up to us whether we want to play along.

And @petay993 summed it up pretty well for me (on both watch makers).
    First World problems really - those should not steal our joy!
    100% agree with this statement. It’s good Eddie is sticking to his guns and using a business model that suits him and what he wants to achieve. If people like me are put off the process it won’t hurt him as other, more dedicated collectors will step in and take our place. It’s up to us to decide if we want to play the modern watch buyers game, be it Timefactors, Rolex or some other brand. There is always something else to spend our money on if we choose.

Regrettably, the popularity of the offerings has created this situation. Shopify only allows 7 days to take payment before the authority to take payment expires. I shouldn't take payment before the goods ship which is why the website is configured to close once 200 orders are received, which is the maximum we can ship in 7 days. These 7 days involve an 80 hour week, which at my age is somewhat challenging.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman
    So if the limiting factor is Shopify, what other payment mechanisms are available that provide a longer window for shipment ?

Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    So if the limiting factor is Shopify, what other payment mechanisms are available that provide a longer window for shipment ?
    That will just kick the can further down. He’ll then have 400 orders to fulfil, 2 80hours weeks to do it so exactly the same stress and there will be as many disgruntled would-be customers as now because the shop would open every fortnight, experience the same rush…

The only thing that could alleviate the issue is to step up the expedition side of the business, and it comes with many constraints that Eddie has decided he dod not want.

Maybe a team of TZ members could volunteer to assist for a new launch if Eddie could have the space to accommodate them for the day, and multiply the amount that can be expedited in a week, thus relieving the pressure to allow other stuff to sell as well.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    More Eddie's ability to ship 200 orders in 7 days. Eddie could increase the order limited on Shopify, but as said he's already flat out.

There are other ways it could be solved which I'm sure Eddie has contemplated over the years such as;

Outsourcing handling and shipping
    Increasing prices to lessen demand
    Pre-packing all watches so all that's required is to print and stick a shipping label on order

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Regrettably, the popularity of the offerings has created this situation. Shopify only allows 7 days to take payment before the authority to take payment expires. I shouldn't take payment before the goods ship which is why the website is configured to close once 200 orders are received, which is the maximum we can ship in 7 days. These 7 days involve an 80 hour week, which at my age is somewhat challenging.

Eddie
    It certainly is Eddie, don't get 'killed' by your own success....

At you age you should be sitting in your arm chair smoking a pipe pondering about where your life went so quick.

I'll get me coat.

Master
    Why did I even try?!

Eddie
    Is there no way of outsourcing the fulfillment element, Eddie? Potentially higher revenues, life changing benefits for you and happier customers?

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Is there no way of outsourcing the fulfillment element, Eddie? Potentially higher revenues, life changing benefits for you and happier customers?

Tony
    If I remember correctly the problem was the insertion of the warantee card to match each watch and of course the checking of the watch before posting.
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Apprentice
    I got to basket, payment and authorization. Than boom, out of stock, fail.
    Hopefully there will be a next time.

Eddie
    Not quite true, Shopify default is set to collect payment automatically after sale last I looked, it’s Eddie that’s changed this to shipping, which is a little outdated now, especially with pre-order being a popular marketing tool. I’m guessing but 200 orders in seven days is for new launches? Doesn’t look like enough stock for 30 orders a day all year? So it’s about managing the flow, I would look at other methods, increase the standard delivery to 3 weeks, and maybe release in batches, with due in dates (a ’back in stock’ app or similar is also essential on so many levels). Or better still, sell new items on pre-order, a month ahead, gives you a month to pack at your own pace… Spend time being upfront with the customer on timing, keep them in the loop, with automated progress emails (omnisend), and use the time lag for PR - artisan, microbrand, watch brand takes time to pack perfectly. Sadly having a store closed as such is long term suicidal? Turns away new customers, new interest… just my 2 pence :)

Quote Originally Posted by 2kilo View Post
    Not quite true, Shopify default is set to collect payment automatically after sale last I looked, it’s Eddie that’s changed this to shipping, which is a little outdated now, especially with pre-order being a popular marketing tool. I’m guessing but 200 orders in seven days is for new launches? Doesn’t look like enough stock for 30 orders a day all year? So it’s about managing the flow, I would look at other methods, increase the standard delivery to 3 weeks, and maybe release in batches, with due in dates (a ’back in stock’ app or similar is also essential on so many levels). Or better still, sell new items on pre-order, a month ahead, gives you a month to pack at your own pace… Spend time being upfront with the customer on timing, keep them in the loop, with automated progress emails (omnisend), and use the time lag for PR - artisan, microbrand, watch brand takes time to pack perfectly. Sadly having a store closed as such is long term suicidal? Turns away new customers, new interest… just my 2 pence :)
    This is not what I'm finding. 78% of orders were from new customers last time we opened. I can see how many people are on site each time we open and that number is growing. The limiting factor is how many shipments we can get out of the door, each time we open it's an 80 hour week to clear the orders before the authority to take payment expires. I have plenty of stock for 30 orders a day with another 7 shipments of watches due in the next 6 months and more in the pipeline.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by 2kilo View Post
    Hi.

The method has been changed to collect after fulfillment so we are prepared for any unforeseen issues. Things such as illness, any issues that may arise with the watches, changes in personal circumstances, etc. Pre-ordering is a popular at the moment but there are many potential issues with productions delays and a myriad of other problems, all the while you have customer money and need to consantly be in conversation.

It's not perfect but the small batch system allows us to to be able to clear orders every fortnight and also be able to pivot if any issues do crop up.

We are looking a different methods all the time though.
    Dave from Time Factors

Timefactors Insta

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Jagger.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Jagger.
    That’s the guy!

Journeyman
    Have a few questions about buying and hoping the collective can help (or even Eddie? I can see you reply from time to time on this part of the forum).

I've been lucky in the past and have snagged the PRS-25 a few years ago. I have been meaning to get a Jubilee bracelet for it, does anyone know if they are available during the buying window (has anyone had any success recently).

Also more generally, I understand that there are 200 orders that can be made, sometimes Eddie let's it be known how many of the popular models are available? If there are no limits to the popular stuff then it's likely that most people will try and get that and limit the opportunity for the other watches....I'm hoping to buy a baby Dreadnought too, any idea on my chances :)

Quote Originally Posted by 765 RS View Post
    Have a few questions about buying and hoping the collective can help (or even Eddie? I can see you reply from time to time on this part of the forum).

I've been lucky in the past and have snagged the PRS-25 a few years ago. I have been meaning to get a Jubilee bracelet for it, does anyone know if they are available during the buying window (has anyone had any success recently).

Also more generally, I understand that there are 200 orders that can be made, sometimes Eddie let's it be known how many of the popular models are available? If there are no limits to the popular stuff then it's likely that most people will try and get that and limit the opportunity for the other watches....I'm hoping to buy a baby Dreadnought too, any idea on my chances :)
    The jubilee bracelet won't be available again until the middle of this year.

Eddie

Journeyman
    The jubilee bracelet won't be available again until the middle of this year.

Eddie
    Thanks - appreciate the reply!

Can now concentrate on getting the watch ☺️

Craftsman
    Good luck to all forum members for tomorrow’s competition. I’ve been practicing my scales so might be in with a chance too