closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Driving in the UK

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    In fairness, I will break the NSL to overtake but to minimise time on the other side of the road & reduce danger time, as they call it. If I get caught doing that, I hold my hands up but would hope it was seen as reasonable by plod in a car vs a camera that simply had a binary option.

I do dislike the sneaky hiding cameras though. There is one on the A303 where they have put an overtake zone in a fairly steep uphill stretch to get past slower lorries, and then install a bloody camera half way up! I didnt do the manoeuvre as my gut was telling me something so hung behind & then saw it.

For me, those sort of installs are not playing fair. More likely to cause an accident as a driver on a string of cars overtaking sees the camera & brakes, which is not what you are expecting the car in front to do when overtaking.
    All cameras should be completely hidden otherwise they dont do the job of catching people who speed...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    All cameras should be completely hidden otherwise they dont do the job of catching people who speed...
    With 3 month bans as a result and no exceptions. Once it starts to bite, the speeding will dramatically reduce.

Master
    You going to come back on why 30mph in an NSL is acceptable based on mine and Wileys responses?

I sometimes wish I was still in my job as a RT officer! With current standards of driving I'd probably stopping ever 5th car for something😁. It really is getting bad out there.
    I regularly travel the A1M up to Newcastle and some drivers are totally reckless and dangerous.
    Driving was a passion of mine but not so much nowadays.

I've had no pleasure in driving for years TBH.

I just use the car to go from A-B and drive defensively.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I sometimes wish I was still in my job as a RT officer! With current standards of driving I'd probably stopping ever 5th car for something😁. It really is getting bad out there.
    I regularly travel the A1M up to Newcastle and some drivers are totally reckless and dangerous.
    Driving was a passion of mine but not so much nowadays.
    Ive just come back from a trip to the supermarket, and like you said it felt like every 5th car not being driven with care & attention.

Had 1 car exit right on the roundabout despite being in the far left of 3 lanes, almost caused a multi-car.

Then the final roundabout before the store, someone on the right hand lane of 2, suddenly veered hard left to exit using some form of racing line to get to the supermarket itself with zero awareness of the car in front of me who was using the piece of tarmac they wanted.

They then parked in a hatched area and walked off. Im hoping for a wayward trolley moment as they are the prime spot to absorb its impact.

Awareness just seems at such a low, is it gadgets / phones / car play meaning people are less focused, or simply a sign of the times and future. Alas I fear its the new norm as even wandering in town nobody seems to be courteous of who is walking where & feel they have the right to just walk across people.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    People should drive even slower and more considerately in a pot holed road. people who don't are even more inconsiderate.

The sooner they lose their license the better.
    And if they dont know its a pot holed road until they hit one and break a wheel?

The tyres on my Aston are very expensive and Id rather not ruin them due to poor road maintenance - given that like many other motorists I pay a lot of road tax supposedly for their upkeep.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    And if they dont know its a pot holed road until they hit one and break a wheel?

The tyres on my Aston are very expensive and Id rather not ruin them due to poor road maintenance - given that like many other motorists I pay a lot of road tax supposedly for their upkeep.
    You don't pay raid tax, it's Vehicle Excise Duty, and it's not reserved for roads upkeep, it's general taxation.
    If it was linked to road maintenance it would be weight and power based as they are the parameters that affect road life.
    Your cars would seemingly be at the top end.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My peeves are
    the 40mph drivers - irrespective of the prevailing speed limit
    The 40mph drivers who glare at you when you dare to endanger their lives by overtaking them on a clear road with NSL
    3 in 5 motorway drivers who cut in front of me leaving only a one-two car length space between us
    The 40mph drivers who maintain the same throttle when they encounter an incline and allow their speed to drop well below 30 again under NSL…
    SLOW CAREFUL drivers who boast that they have never had an accident in 40 years - because I subscribe to the notion (FACT) that they will have caused plenty by building up frustration amongst other road users - no I won’t provide evidence and I’m not interested in yours…
    Sanctimonious drivers who think everyone else is a bad driver.
    Last edited by Suds; 15th February 2023 at 17:25.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post

I think you have to be realistic, no-one asks you to own an Aston Martin with expensive tyres! Roads are what they are, to maintain them to the standard we'd all like would mean paying even more in taxes. I could complain about paying almost 300 to tax my Jag XF when I do less than 3000 miles/year but I don't no-one makes me own it.

I`ve resisted the temptation to convert my MGB to wire wheels for this very same reason, they wouldn't fare well on the local roads which have never been great. Likewise, it's a mistake to order cars with ultra low-profile tyres then moan when the alloy wheels get damaged, that's like walking across a rutted field wearing slippers then complaining when you twist your ankle.

Right boots for the prevailing conditions, it applies to cars and feet equally. No point in pretending the roads are smooth race tracks that exist only in your head.

When you're waiting at the crown of the road to turn right at a junction, and someone coming from your left and turning into the street you are on glare angrily at you because they can't cut the corner. The worse ones actually have to change course as they were on track to cut the corner by default.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I think you have to be realistic, no-one asks you to own an Aston Martin with expensive tyres! Roads are what they are, to maintain them to the standard we'd all like would mean paying even more in taxes. I could complain about paying almost 300 to tax my Jag XF when I do less than 3000 miles/year but I don't no-one makes me own it.

I`ve resisted the temptation to convert my MGB to wire wheels for this very same reason, they wouldn't fare well on the local roads which have never been great. Likewise, it's a mistake to order cars with ultra low-profile tyres then moan when the alloy wheels get damaged, that's like walking across a rutted field wearing slippers then complaining when you twist your ankle.

Right boots for the prevailing conditions, it applies to cars and feet equally. No point in pretending the roads are smooth race tracks that exist only in your head.
    Pah, you are abusing more than your fair share of miles. I used to pay c550 for my Z4M to do 500 miles a year!

Now our commuter Smart gets to enjoy 0 contribution, but sometimes feels like it will spin when a front wheel drops into a hole / standing water given the short wheelbase.

MGB on wires looks the part, but only if you have good roads by your main driving areas.

I remain amazed how well the 981 Cayman GTS on 20" soaks up the bad roads and holes, I am yet to have an arse clenching WTF moment in a hole with it, but off to Northamptonshire at the weekend and just tempted fate...

Craftsman
    People are always in a rush.

This all boils down to a general drop in standards. Manners are no longer taught in school and few, select homes beat the trend. There are some well mannered people of all ages, but they are in the minority, in a country that was known throughout the world for being polite. No longer, the constant scrabble for money has turned this country into an 'every man for himself' bunfight, on and off road.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos View Post
    This all boils down to a general drop in standards. Manners are no longer taught in school and few, select homes beat the trend. There are some well mannered people of all ages, but they are in the minority, in a country that was known throughout the world for being polite. No longer, the constant scrabble for money has turned this country into an 'every man for himself' bunfight, on and off road.
    Good manners cost nothing, are the glue that holds society together but sadly the situation seems to be as you describe. A market led economy is one thing but it's evolved into a market led society. Avarice and the sense of 'every man for himself' prevail, there's no money in manners, in fact might even be interpreted as weakness and who would wish to be viewed as soft, an easy mark!
    Last edited by Passenger; 17th February 2023 at 08:15.

Master
    You going to come back on why 30mph in an NSL is acceptable based on mine and Wileys responses?

Depends on driving conditions I suppose. If the other overtaking lanes are available why not use them? If they are full then chances are everyone is driving slowly

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kairos View Post
    I don't think it's up to schools to teach people good manners. Surely thats the responsibility of parents, although it seems many expect schools to teach their children everything. I heard that parents are sending children to school who aren't toilet trained and still wear nappies.
    And I thought it was odd parents didn't teach their children to read!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I don't think it's up to schools to teach people good manners. Surely thats the responsibility of parents, although it seems many expect schools to teach their children everything. I heard that parents are sending children to school who aren't toilet trained and still wear nappies.
    And I thought it was odd parents didn't teach their children to read!
    Also schools appear to have to provide breakfasts too now...

Master
    Depends on driving conditions I suppose. If the other overtaking lanes are available why not use them? If they are full then chances are everyone is driving slowly
    Good pub lunch? Don't see many overtaking lanes on NSLs lol.

Master
    Unfortunately that attitude will end up with you being caught speeding by a camera.

We all have to accept the fact that exceeding speed limits is more risky than ever.

Master
    I noticed a drop in standards after the lockdowns - plenty of shit drivers before then, but the ones who'd normally be driving for an hour or so each workday reemerged onto the roads and had lost any of the driving skills they'd accumulated through regular experience before.

Modern tech isn't helping either with all the touchscreens and plethora of menu's. You're not allowed to even touch your phone and with good reason, but it seems it's fine to receive texts on the centre screen whilst you're scrolling and tapping through the menus to trying to turn the f**king seat heating down. At least you don't need to worry about the difficult things like wipers when it starts raining, or turning on your lights on when it gets dark and can focus on the important things like turning the lane assist off after you've just swiped a cyclist because you didn't indicate before overtaking.
    Last edited by Dynam0humm; 20th February 2023 at 01:10.

Master
    I was on the M25 Saturday and Sunday, standard of driving was terrible. For those that bothered to indicate, they seemed to believe this gave them right of way over the car currently occupying the lane they wished to be in.

Witnessed so many people squeezing their way into braking distance spaces it was unbelievable.

I was on the M25 Saturday and Sunday, standard of driving was terrible. For those that bothered to indicate, they seemed to believe this gave them right of way over the car currently occupying the lane they wished to be in.

Witnessed so many people squeezing their way into braking distance spaces it was unbelievable.
    Boils my piss, that, and if your not careful it ends up coercing you into not leaving enough of a gap yourself.

Master
    I may have mistaken what NSL means. I took it as nearside lane?

Driving in the UK

I may have mistaken what NSL means. I took it as nearside lane?
    National speed limit so 60-70mph depending on the road

Master
    Ok, now I understand what NSL is referring to in this thread my previous comment would still stand. 70 would be dual carriageway or motorway so there would be overtaking lanes. 60 would be at least a two way road so overtake when safe to do so. I don't see it as a crime against the driving community to travel at say 40mph along a road. I say again, the speed limits are exactly that, limits.

Driving pleasure surely doesn't mean dashing around at the limit all the time, doesn't to me

Many act as if their use of indicators is akin to issuing an instruction to get out their way rather than it merely signalling their intent, and often when there's no safe place to do so. I had it this morning and expect it this evening.

This morning's example of inexcusably crap driving is a doozy. I'm in lane 1 with nothing behind me (very early hours), another car has spent the last few minutes in lane 2 catching up with me. They pass roughly at the point we both pass a 200yd marker for a slip road, when they were maybe 40ft past me they began changing lanes to their left, then blinked their indicator once, completed their manoeuvre and took the exit...

How many seconds would they have lost if they'd just pulled into the mahoosive space behind me before exiting?

Master
    All Ill say is that although driving in this country can be annoying and dangerous, try Cairo for an experience.

Driving pleasure surely doesn't mean dashing around at the limit all the time, doesn't to me
    Two scenarios that make me the subject of annoyance from other motorists.

From time to time, as a matter of personal choice, I find myself driving vehicles that have happy cruising speeds of 50-55mph. I don't see why I shouldn't exercise my right to drive whatever vehicle I wish, but other motorists don't quite see it that way......

Also, when towing the caravan with the Riley, I am legally limited to 50mph on A-roads. I try to take (non-smart) motorways as there is no great problem for other vehicles of all descriptions to overtake, but on A-roads I find myself having to pull over at every available layby to let past the stream of irate drivers. It's not my fault that I can't drive at 60mph. Mind you, most of the others want to drive at 80mph anyway!

Agree with all the comments. I used to love driving. It's now a chore. I live in a very built up area. It's a living nightmare to drive. Having a decent car is a no no as they're being stolen a lot around our area. Poor following of the highway code,everyone in a rush...

Once the PCP is finished, I will get a rubbish car and not care anymore, what happens to it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    National speed limit so 60-70mph depending on the road
    NSL actually means NO STREET LIGHTS I learned that on my speed awareness course.🤪

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    NSL actually means NO STREET LIGHTS I learned that on my speed awareness course.🤪
    Ill remember that, thanks. Much better acronym

Master
    Blog Entries
    As above this is just a reflection of our country and society as a whole.

People have become fundamentally more selfish. When you don't care about other people why would you drive with care and consideration; you just do what suits you and that will likely include reading your messages etc ...

This has been a long slow decline which in my experience was supercharged by the pandemic; that made people more isolated and any communities they were part of were broken down and now they are on their own programmes.

I have been heavily involved with sports clubs and associations all my life, both professionally and as a volunteer, and we are seeing all these clubs and associations that have existed for decades, and some centuries, struggle to continue to operate as they are community sports clubs that run on the back of a volunteer labour force and guess what; no on is prepared to get stuck in an contribute ... they just want to pay a bit more and let someone else do it.

I can see in my lifetime many of the clubs folding and disappearing from our local communities and it is heart-breaking.

Master
    This thread proves one thing, lots of drivers need to be retested.

The sooner cars are driven by computers instead of drivers, the better.

Hondas drive themselves, don't they Mick?

______

​Jim.

Master
    In fairness, I will break the NSL to overtake but to minimise time on the other side of the road & reduce danger time, as they call it. If I get caught doing that, I hold my hands up but would hope it was seen as reasonable by plod in a car vs a camera that simply had a binary option.

I do dislike the sneaky hiding cameras though. There is one on the A303 where they have put an overtake zone in a fairly steep uphill stretch to get past slower lorries, and then install a bloody camera half way up! I didnt do the manoeuvre as my gut was telling me something so hung behind & then saw it.

For me, those sort of installs are not playing fair. More likely to cause an accident as a driver on a string of cars overtaking sees the camera & brakes, which is not what you are expecting the car in front to do when overtaking.
    Rules are rules and cameras just record the speed you are doing and you have no witnesses to confirm that your gut was telling you the right thing. A speed limit is a speed limit and that's it.

So stick to the limits all of the time or risk a penalty notice dropping through the door.

Master
    Rules are rules and cameras just record the speed you are doing and you have no witnesses to confirm that your gut was telling you the right thing. A speed limit is a speed limit and that's it.

So stick to the limits all of the time or risk a penalty notice dropping through the door.
    Will go past you as fast as I can, limiting my exposure to the danger zone on the other side of the road, which is logical vs an HGV overtake scenario.

I will also add speed, as many people who object to being overtaken will suddenly find their accelerator when 'threatened' with being overtaken.

My insurance is less than yours, so statistics suggest I'm safer sir!

You've clearly never done an advance car or motorbike course.

Master
    Or ever gone too fast. or cut a corner, perhaps never crossed a white line (not solid one Mick!)

Blog Entries
    Can you speed to overtake?

As rule 125 of the Highway Code states, the speed limit is the absolute maximum you should drive on any particular road. This does not exclude overtaking.
    Exceeding the speed limit for any reason is dangerous as well as illegal and could see you hit with penalty points, a hefty fine, or even being banned from the roads entirely.
    While overtaking is, of course, legal, there are strict rules about how and when it is safe to overtake the most fundamental being that you should only overtake when it is safe and legal to do so.

If youre caught speeding while overtaking, you could collect a fine up to 2,500 and six points on your licence, depending on your speed and the road youre caught on.
    Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it. HHGTTG

Master
    Or ever gone too fast. or cut a corner, perhaps never crossed a white line (not solid one Mick!)
    Never say never but when on the road I always really make a conscious effort to obey the rules.

I understand your point but when youre on an advanced course with ex police riders and the instructors who train the police riders dont expect to make progress modestly, if you do then you can also expect the earpiece to get loud with expletives. Dont expect to overtake like a lunatic either.

Time exposed to danger is more of an issue than the danger youre exposed to.

Good luck overtaking someone doing 50 in a 60 while doing 60.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I understand your point but when you’re on an advanced course with ex police riders and the instructors who train the police riders don’t expect to make progress modestly,.
    Have you been on one of those courses?

If so do they advocate breaking the speed limit during the overtaking manoeuvre?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post

If so do they advocate breaking the speed limit during the overtaking manoeuvre?
    Ive taken an advanced driving course (UK) and do not remember being advised to break the law (exceed speed limits) to make good progress.
    Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it. HHGTTG

Driving in the UK

Yes and no. They never advise you to outright break the law but they do tell you explicitly to Make Progress and are very clear about what that means.

It doesnt mean doing 90 in a 30 to overtake and it also doesnt mean doing it for half a mile or to overtake 15 cars in a row.

Ive been pulled more than once and explained I was making progress and was on my way. Wouldnt have been the same outcome with a camera or one of the camera vans.

Worth point out that if you do 30 for no clear and good reason on a NSL you will get pulled and if you fail the attitude test youll have your licence endorsed.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 21st February 2023 at 00:49.

Master
    Will go past you as fast as I can, limiting my exposure to the danger zone on the other side of the road, which is logical vs an HGV overtake scenario.

I will also add speed, as many people who object to being overtaken will suddenly find their accelerator when 'threatened' with being overtaken.

My insurance is less than yours, so statistics suggest I'm safer sir!
    Strange logic...

So if your insurance is more than mine that means I'm safer than you then? Although from your previous statements I'd deduce I'm safer towards other road users than you anyway...
    Last edited by redmonaco; 20th February 2023 at 23:58.

Master

I've seen an indicated 95 in a 60 with a police bike close behind and the ride was all 80 in 60 where safe to do so, 90 in 70 and all other limits strictly observed. Before we started he told me just to ride as I normally would and if he dropped back I needed to slow down, otherwise the blue lights would come on, but he was stuck to my number plate the whole time.

You guys need to switch to driving on the right side of the road!

Making progress - Seems a daft euphemism, even an HGV is making progress and it doesnt have to be overtaken if that entails exceeding the limit.

This just came up on my FB feed. Less subtle than our "Space Invader" (tailgating) effort and all the better for it.

https://www.facebook.com/reel/902872...?s=yWDuG2&fs=e