closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: EE Mobile prices hike !

EE Mobile prices hike !

Blimey 14.4 % increase

CPI + 3.9 %

Wonder if they will drop prices when their gas bill comes down ??

I just got a message that Virgin mobile is going up 17.3% 'in line with the Retail Price Index'. Going to have a look at alternatives soon but I think all the major providers are hiking prices too.

When I was looking at flats one thing that put me off was the service charges being linked to RPI. It could be an uncomfortable few years for people in flats if service charges are going up 17%!!!

Master
    It's not just EE, it's going to cost me about £40 a month for the families mobiles as we are with three and they don't split handset and sim contracts so have more exposure for users to the price increases.

Sent from my SM-F707B using Tapatalk

EE Mobile prices hike !

Hopefully virgin goes up an amount which lets me exit the contract. Really wanted communiy fibre but there would have been a 3 week period without internet.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Hopefully virgin goes up an amount which lets me exit the contract. Really wanted communiy fibre but there would have been a 3 week period without internet.
    I think you can leave Virgin broadband penalty free even if in contract. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...MOB_MSEANDROID

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I think you can leave Virgin broadband penalty free even if in contract. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...MOB_MSEANDROID
    That's perfect, thank you. I would love to leave those cowboys and can't wait, just need to convince my wife their special remote where you can talk to it and it finds TV shows for you isn't worth the money.

Might have to pull rank and end up celibate for a few weeks.

My EE monthly bill will be going up from £13.50 to £15.44 as a result. Given that EE's energy cost has risen by 80% over the last year and their cost for Home Hubs have gone up by 20% then I think my monthly bill increase isn't too bad.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    My EE monthly bill will be going up from £13.50 to £15.44 as a result. Given that EE's energy cost has risen by 80% over the last year and their cost for Home Hubs have gone up by 20% then I think my monthly bill increase isn't too bad.

R
    Agree it doesn't seem much Ralphy but I think we are reaching a situation where inflation is creating inflation as Mobile & Comms will be included in RPI calcs so a big Merry-go-round.

And I don't expect anytime soon they will say 'Great News Inflation is running at -10% so we are lowering your bills'

The dripping tap.

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    Agree it doesn't seem much Ralphy but I think we are reaching a situation where inflation is creating inflation as Mobile & Comms will be included in RPI calcs so a big Merry-go-round.

And I don't expect anytime soon they will say 'Great News Inflation is running at -10% so we are lowering your bills'

The dripping tap.
    I don't disagree with you at all, I'd just had SWMBO ranting on to me about the increased cost of Heinz Salad Cream when I typed my post!

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I switched to Lebara after Three kept pushing up prices. I'd suggest they're worth a look. They use the Vodafone network, and every single customer service interaction I've had with them has been great.

Referral link for discounted three months - any cash I get via this will go to the fundraiser:

http://aklam.io/YmzRB6

Got the Virgin mobile email on Wednesday. Called them yesterday and managed to keep the same price for all four Sim cards, but with an extra 12GB each, EU roaming, and unlimited calls and texts (but who actually texts anymore?). And it's a 30-day rolling contract so can move whenever.

I go through it every year with Virgin but this is the biggest hike so far.

My Mrs just got a message that Virgin mobile is going up 17.3% 'in line with the Retail Price Index'.

Seems a lot to me but they are all going up.

Luckily I don't have to worry about that sort of thing. I have an old EE PAYG phone which I rarely use and costs me around £20 a year.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    It's not just EE, it's going to cost me about £40 a month for the families mobiles as we are with three and they don't split handset and sim contracts so have more exposure for users to the price increases.

Sent from my SM-F707B using Tapatalk
    What do you mean by don’t split handset and contracts?

Jeez that's scary. I'm currently paying off two phones for my son and myself until November at around £45pcm each so that's going to sting a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    Jeez that's scary. I'm currently paying off two phones for my son and myself until November at around £45pcm each so that's going to sting a bit.
    And then it got me thinking that if they are going up that much then others must be doing the same......Another hike on the already massive Sky bill might just 'break the camels back' as far as my wife thinks.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...ce-hikes-2023/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    It does seem a bit nuts. I'm not sure how they can warrant an above CPI price rise every year.. compounded - they must be laffring all the way to the bank for all contacts for those people that don't renegotiate / leave.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Blog Entries
    This is one of the reasons I have a sim only and buy a phone on 0%

Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    This is one of the reasons I have a sim only and buy a phone on 0%
    Or just buy second hand - with phones the depreciation is phenomenal.

Yep same here bt broadband and one SIM only contact

Total change to your monthly bill £7.91

This is a 14.4% increase, which is in line with the 10.5% CPI rate of inflation published in January, plus 3.9%

Not sure what the issue is? This is in line with inflation and in all likelihood their margin remains the same - mobile bills aren't the only thing that's increased. I'd imagine many folks will have had pay rises also.

The +3.9% bit is naughty though - basically saying they want to increase their margin over the 2nd year of the contract.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Not sure what the issue is? This is in line with inflation and in all likelihood their margin remains the same - mobile bills aren't the only thing that's increased. I'd imagine many folks will have had pay rises also.

The +3.9% bit is naughty though - basically saying they want to increase their margin over the 2nd year of the contract.
    Whether we like it or not, VM currently offer good products at a slightly high price. However the competition is about to bite, companies such as CityFibre are upping the ante and they are now supplying 900 MBPS at a price not far fro VMs 250 MBPS. In Spain I am getting 900 MBSP for €29 whereas two years ago it was €35 for 16 MBPS.

They are making hay whilst they can.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Whether we like it or not, VM currently offer good products at a slightly high price. However the competition is about to bite, companies such as CityFibre are upping the ante and they are now supplying 900 MBPS at a price not far fro VMs 250 MBPS. In Spain I am getting 900 MBSP for €29 whereas two years ago it was €35 for 16 MBPS.

They are making hay whilst they can.
    Just FYI there's an eight-fold difference between Mb and MB. I can assure you you're not getting 900 MB per second from your provider.

So rang EE would not budge so I was facing a going from paying £ 43 > £ 49 per month

I went onto 'Uswitch' who have a 'Lebara' deal for £ 4.95 per month unlimited calls & texts and 5GB of data and no fixed period contract

clicked through link and guess what first 3 months for just £ 1.98.

thought too good to be true but ordered 2 x sim's which arrived next day requested PAC codes from EE by text which arrived within an hour

whole switch took under 24 hours without issue, Lebara are using Vodafone network and now also do 'wifi-calling'

I know it's not big £££'s in the grand scheme of things but £ 40 a month or £ 480 a year will help pay for Gas bill

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    just need to convince my wife their special remote where you can talk to it and it finds TV shows for you isn't worth the money.

Might have to pull rank and end up celibate for a few weeks.
    You know the Amazon fire stick will do that!

Same with many companies, BT are already charging me £40 for full fiber internet, £8 for landline and £7 sim only mobile contract.

Now they want another CPI + 3.9% increase on top.

Pity wages did not go up near 15%, that would be nice.

Been with Lebara for nearly a year - unlimited calls, texts, 10gb of data and 100 minutes of international calls to certain countries for £6.99 a month

Master
    Vodafone have just sent me a price rise of the obligatory 14.4%. I can see them all loosing lots of contract customers when their times up

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    Vodafone have just sent me a price rise of the obligatory 14.4%. I can see them all loosing lots of contract customers when their times up

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Just been notified by o2 - 13.4%
    Last edited by number2; 2nd March 2023 at 12:40.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I'm surprised the companies don't budge when people call. They must know they'll just leave for another provider?

I haven't paid more than £30 a month for years to keep four phones running. But we don't need the latest model every year, which helps.

What happens if you're in a contract paying for the phone? Can you still leave because of the rise or have to suck it up?

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I'm surprised the companies don't budge when people call. They must know they'll just leave for another provider?

I haven't paid more than £30 a month for years to keep four phones running. But we don't need the latest model every year, which helps.

What happens if you're in a contract paying for the phone? Can you still leave because of the rise or have to suck it up?
    I got notified by O2 last week and it annoyed me so immediately started looking elsewhere.

I can leave O2 but would have to pay for the rest of my phone upfront. As I have a new iPhone 14 Pro that’s over £1000. Although it still may be worthwhile doing that and getting a sim only deal, I can replicate the deal I have for less that £10 a month, so it makes financial sense.

It’s profiteering from the mobile companies, I assume they know they are on the way out eventually so may as well get what they can while they can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Yep EE user here, albeit on a low tarrif of £13. Email saying 1.88 rise , 14% :(

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeJSmith View Post
    I got notified by O2 last week and it annoyed me so immediately started looking elsewhere.

I can leave O2 but would have to pay for the rest of my phone upfront. As I have a new iPhone 14 Pro that’s over £1000. Although it still may be worthwhile doing that and getting a sim only deal, I can replicate the deal I have for less that £10 a month, so it makes financial sense.

It’s profiteering from the mobile companies, I assume they know they are on the way out eventually so may as well get what they can while they can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I thought 02 split the contract so you could still pay the unchanged handset ‘rental’ and go to say Tesco for the airtime contract?
    Last edited by lewie; 3rd March 2023 at 12:33.

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    I thought 02 split the contract so you could still pay the unchanged handset ‘rental’ and go to say Tesco for the airtime contract?
    Not that I can see. It is in the contract that if you end the airtime contract within the first 24 months, the phone needs to be paid in full. If it's after 24 months but still under contract (eg mine is a 36 month contract) then you can keep on paying the phone off.