closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone using E-Ink/paper tablet?

Master

Anyone using E-Ink/paper tablet?

I’ve been using a paper notepad for meetings for 40 years and watched lately as more and more people are using E-Ink type pads, even my accountant had one this week.

Is anyone using them? Any suggestions? Upsides/downsides?

I’d be keeping notes and then saving them to follow up actions or write emails after meetings etc

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BRGS View Post
    I’ve been using a paper notepad for meetings for 40 years and watched lately as more and more people are using E-Ink type pads, even my accountant had one this week.

Is anyone using them? Any suggestions? Upsides/downsides?

I’d be keeping notes and then saving them to follow up actions or write emails after meetings etc
    Yes - I've been using a Remarkable 2 tablet for the last 12 months. I was forever writing in notebooks, so this has just automated that process, and put all my notes in one (cloud-based) place. Works very well for me, although I got mine with the free Connect subscription, which I believe is an extra monthly fee now.

Worth noting, it's not an iPad, and doesn't have any internet / App Store / Netflix etc functionality, but what it does, it does very well. Any specific questions, ask away.

BTW if you do decide to go the digital route, I've got a referral code which will give you £40 off (and me, after 6 months).

Master
    Thanks for that. The Remarkable keeps popping up in my internet so I have been aware of it. I’m probably better not having any extra functionality as I’m something of a dinosaur

How do you get the content from your cloud to your PC for things like emails or reports?

I use the remarkable - only one downside is that it’s not backlit so legibility unless in a very well lit room is an issue

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BRGS View Post
    Thanks for that. The Remarkable keeps popping up in my internet so I have been aware of it. I’m probably better not having any extra functionality as I’m something of a dinosaur

How do you get the content from your cloud to your PC for things like emails or reports?
    You can convert to text (which works uncannily well) and email directly from the tablet, or just send the handwritten pages as a PDF from the tablet.

You also have a companion app (iOS / Android / Mac / Windows) where your notebooks contents are available across devices, allowing you to read and email from all devices.

The latest firmware just added presenter mode to the tablet, where you can show the notebook on a screen and your pen strokes are shown in real time. I used this on a Teams meeting last week, and it works very well. There are regular firmware updates, adding new functionality so it’s well supported.

I’ve been weighing up getting a Remarkable 2 or possibly a kindle scribe for some time, I use notepads but wanted something to help bring everything together.

I wasn’t sure I’d use it though and they aren’t cheap so I repurposed an iPad Air 3 which for various reasons we had unused at home, put on a paper like screen (actually a knock off version “like paper”!) and bought a Logitech crayon pen. I’ve been using an app called GoodNotes.

So far it’s been OK, not perfect but pretty good. I’m liking the concept of a digital notebook. Being able to search through with keywords, organise, copy / paste etc is all good. GoodNotes seems pretty decent, but I’m struggling to get it to do what I want every time; not sure if that is my skill / understanding or a deficiency of the app.

The handwriting recognition is not great, worse than Apple Scribe, so for me that’s the major problem along with working out how to use the app.

It may push me to a Remarkable or I may lose interest, but at least it’s only cost me £60 and I could probably sell the pen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Initially I went down the iPad and pen route. I even bought and fitted a Paperlike screen protector, but it never really felt like real writing to me.

The Remarkable actually feels like a pen on paper to me, so it’s far more natural to pick up and start writing with. And it’s actually an advantage that it’s a one trick pony - no TZ forums or retrieving email, or browsing Reddit or playing a game to distract you!

SydR
    I looked at the remarkable 2 but it seemed a bit expensive for a one trick pony. Went down the route of the iPad and Apple Pencil, with onenote, and have had no issues.

I have been looking at these since the release of the Kindle Scribe. If you want to research a purchase please have a look at the My Deep Guide YouTube channel, which as the name suggests looks at most of the contenders in great detail. There are comparison and overviews too.

I want to combine a great writing experience with access to my Kindle Library. I'm not using e ink for mail or browsing. I also want good hand writing recognition and easy links to my Google drive.

My take on the market currently is that the Kindle Scribe has the best screen resolution, with a great reading experience but very restricted software for writing and note extraction. Updates are due.

The Remarkable is based on older hardware, does writing very well but not reading. It looks great. And yes, no backlight.

Boox create a very powerful Android based range of tablets which do everything pretty well.

SuperNote are similar to Boox but simplify what you can access through Android. At the moment they look like the best fit for my needs, but they come in white plastic. Ugh.

Lenovo have released (too early) a Smart Paper tablet which looks highly promising.

There are others too.

Given all that, I have not pulled the trigger. I want to see how the market evolves. I may not even then.

I see a digital notebook as being invaluable if you're studying, planning or taking business notes which you need to share. Otherwise they may become like a kitchen appliance you don't use. There are always loads of Remarkables on eBay for about £100 less than RRP.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

I have used the Remarkable for years now. Initially the 1, which I sold on here, and now the 2. It works great for me and as it’s linked to my Wi-Fi everything just backs up. I didn’t want any other distractions and as a former notebook user this writes well and does exactly what I want. They keep updating software and making it better. The convert to text is really useful too.

kobo sage has hand writing note taking with a pen.
    also boox is a e-ink reader but I cant say I tried not taking on it.
    I use it as a PDF reader

Master
    tried a remarkable 2, went back to a pen and paper (they do a 100 day trial), in the end it seemed like a solution to a problem i didnt have!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    tried a remarkable 2, went back to a pen and paper (they do a 100 day trial), in the end it seemed like a solution to a problem i didnt have!
    Interesting as I’m considering either a remarkable, or being exceptionally mature and getting a steering wheel, pedal and chair for the PS5.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Interesting as I’m considering either a remarkable, or being exceptionally mature and getting a steering wheel, pedal and chair for the PS5.
    we may be the same person

id go with the latter, far more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    I didn't know they did that, some research is required. :) However...

As I mentioned above, I think determining the genuine use case for buying an e-ink notebook is crucial. I think back to my university or school days and the ability to have had searchable notes written in or on literature, commentaries and translations would have been amazing.

Teaching, detailed planning and communicating team notes could all be usefully performed on an e-ink notebook.

I love the appearance of e-ink, I like the monochrome as it reminds me of 9" Macs and for most computer use colour is not really needed. But these days, for me, written work notes are simple aide memoirs which are soon actioned via Gmail and my Google calendar.

That leaves enjoying the physical and mental process of writing with my pens in my Travelers Notebooks, Moleskins etc for the simple pleasure of it.

Much as I like the idea, I can't see me buying an e-ink notebook.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Much as I like the idea, I can't see me buying an e-ink notebook.
    A nice pen and decent notebook has a nice feel to it.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    A nice pen and decent notebook has a nice feel to it.
    Yes indeed Chris. I have far too many of both and took delivery of a new fountain pen today, an Opus 88 Demonstrator. A promo shot.

It's large but light and the nib is so smooth to write with on decent Japanese paper.
    David