closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Panerai buying advice

Journeyman

Panerai buying advice

Hi,

Long time reader not so much poster in the forum but I’m after a bit of advice please on Panerai used market. I’m heading towards a big birthday and the current Mrs Andykb is buying me a watch. I’ve always tended to go for the unusual stuff.. ugly some people might say but it’s a personal choice at the end of the day. Anyways had my heart set on a Pam00389 but after a trip to try one on the 47mm was just too bulky and we quickly ruled it out. This week we had an impromptu trip to a Watchfinder store and they had a Pam00240 which looked good on the wrist price felt ok but i knew nothing about the watch other then the chat the sales person gave me in store. Walked away at the time which was hard but the right thing to do and started to do some research on the 240. So they look to have been discontinued in 2010 and my question is around how Watchfinder can be selling this as a 2019 watch with just short of 2 years manufacturers warranty(plus their warranty).
    Could it be unsold/unsold stock ??
    Could it be a 2010watch and have been Panerai serviced recently and warranty extended?
    Or could it just be a ‘mistake’ on the information provided by WF?

Ive enquired with WF who dont seem to get the questions I’ve asked so this is making me nervous about potentially pulling the trigger so any advice would be greatly appreciated…plus any other well trusted dealers recommendations would be greatly received.

Thanks in advance Andy

Master
    I’d be surprised if it was NOS, my guess would be like you’ve said has had a service and is still under Panerai’s 2 year warranty. If you ask for the serial number you’ll be able to date it from this. In my experience some of the staff really haven’t got a clue, I recently visited and bought something from their Mayfair Boutique, short story…. She swore blind that the watch I was buying was SS, it was in fact titanium, it was so blatantly obvious, but she still insisted it was SS…… didn’t bother me as it was priced at SS money :-)

Percentage of their sales staff are just ‘order takers’ no real knowledge watches sadly, I do buy from them occasionally but always do my own research first- I’d suggest trying Will from wiseman watches, true enthusiast and knows his stuff, if he hasn’t got something would more than likely be able to source you something at a competitive price.

Hopefully you’ll find something Panerai, such an addictive brand and you’ll have fun buying numerous straps…..
    Last edited by Rob153; 26th February 2023 at 11:47.

Is it this one?

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Panera...50/item/234894

These were only produced between 2007 & 2010.

The 2007 watch is a J series & there were 1000 produced. There should be a clearly visible refererence to this on the case back Jxxxx/1000, for example.

The 2008 watch is a K series & only 500 were produced. (Kxxx/500 on the case back.)

The 2009 watch is an L series & only 500 were produced. (Lxxx/500 on the case back.)

The 2010 watch is an M Series & only 500 were produced. (Mxxx/500 on the case back.)

Note that the 2007 watch has a different case number (6669 vs. 6674) from later watches. This appears to be due to a slight difference for bracelet fitting on later models.

Unfortunately, the caseback isn't legible in the photos, so it's not possible to confirm the year.

Reading the Watchfinder advert, I'd assume the watch has been serviced recently & carries the remainder of the 2 year Richemont warranty.
    Last edited by jwg663; 26th February 2023 at 12:45.
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Afaik watchfinder give a two year warranty on all watches that they sell, which is distinct from any manufacturers warranty. It states "watchfinder warranty" on the website, had it been serviced by Panerai it would state "manufacturers warranty".
    The watch could have been manufactured in say 2010, but sat unsold for a long time, and be sold as NOS in 2019? Or it could just be watchfinder being clueless about the thing. Without B&P my money would be on the latter.
    Edit to add I would also suggest speaking with Will, good guy and knowledgeable about Panerai.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Robsmck; 26th February 2023 at 13:28.

Journeyman
    Thanks for the advice everyone much appreciated Im pleased with myself as I’ve gone back with WF with questions around serial numbers and evidence as to the dates so I’m waiting to hear back from them. I’ll also get in touch with Will to see if he can offer advice and check out what he has to offer.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Afaik watchfinder give a two year warranty on all watches that they sell, which is distinct from any manufacturers warranty. It states "watchfinder warranty" on the website, had it been serviced by Panerai it would state "manufacturers warranty".
    The Watchfinder link I included in my earlier post clearly states ' Manufacturers Warranty 1 year 10 months', as well as the 2 year Watchfinder warranty.
    ______

​Jim.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    The Watchfinder link I included in my earlier post clearly states ' Manufacturers Warranty 1 year 10 months', as well as the 2 year Watchfinder warranty.
    Yeah saw that but in asking them the question at the store they didn’t really have an explanation around for the difference, which is why my brain immediately went to it being serviced relatively recently by Panerai on the assumption they give you warranty for a watch recently serviced.

Watchfinder are a Panerai approved service centre. I have looked at some available at an independent dealer that have come from Watchfinder and have the balance of the warranty, having been serviced by them.

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richmont own panerai and watchfinder,this probably explains all the servicing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why this particular watch? Due to its age I would assume it's not eligible for Pam guard 6 year warranty extension, but I'd still check as their exemption rules are a bit vague. Either way I'd consider the extra 6 years warranty as a decent portion of my price consideration.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    Watchfinder are a Panerai approved service centre. I have looked at some available at an independent dealer that have come from Watchfinder and have the balance of the warranty, having been serviced by them.

D
    ^ this 100%

Journeyman
    So a week on and nothing back from WF on serial numbers or photos of the rear case. Thanks for all the feedback and advice

Leave it and buy something else

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    Leave it and buy something else

100%