closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Homages to micro-brands. A homange too far?

Homages to micro-brands. A homange too far?

Was hunting for a Serica 5303 (and by the way, do feel free to sell me one) when I came across something on eBay called a "IX&DAO 5303", which turns out to be a cheap Serica homage. When the homage merchants are doing small French hipster brands the world's gone a bit mad. Anyway, here it is:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185791815...Bk9SR9DKrJXVYQ

I can't help but wonder if, far from a 'homage' the factory that made the microbrand watches has cheekily run off a few hundred unbranded extra examples (or QA-failures...) for their own extra profit...

Blog Entries
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    I can't help but wonder if, far from a 'homage' the factory that made the microbrand watches has cheekily run off a few hundred unbranded extra examples (or QA-failures...) for their own extra profit...
    It does seem that could be the case, have the Chinese no shame a thing like this could ruin a small independent, I’ve seen it happen with halios on old discontinued models, I guess with a micro brand this is what your really paying for
    That said your not really independent if your not making anything
    Last edited by Balance wheel; 4th March 2023 at 07:57.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    I think there is a very real chance that is true. There is a material risk that if you outsource the core unique features of your business you may not be left with a business at all. Many startups have been stung by using AWS as their platform and then seen it become a competitor. I can’t see a watch shop factory being any different.

Craftsman
    There's a fair few reviews of the ipose on youtube. The ipose has a date and is a touch bigger but other than than it copies the design of the serica

One benefit I've seen in the reviews are the movement options compared to the sericas known issues

Journeyman
    I really want the blue dial Serica 5303. It’s not that it’s $1,250.00, it’s that it’s $1,250.00 with known issues that are called functions now.
    I am pretty foolish with my money, but not that foolish.
    When owners of Serica are upset that their watch doesn’t work right and Serica says it’s a function so they won’t repair it, but they will refund your money if you return it, that’s a problem. It’s an even bigger problem for Serica when people are selling their 5303’s and buying the Ipose because it has less issues and a working movement. Serica put themselves in this position.
    I will wait it out and see if Serica fixes their issues before I purchase the blue dial, but I can see why others won’t.