closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the most boring everyday Rolex in production?

What's the most boring everyday Rolex in production?

Stupid, boring, fanboi thread, sorry.

Trying to find the perfect boring daily. I’ve probably been through about 20/25 failed office watches from Rolex (4 and 5 digits), Seiko, Grand Seiko, Tudor and Omega but none of them seem to stick. Equally the ceramic bezels, polished centre links and cyclops are a bit much at times.

I’m really tempted to buy another Exp 1 214270 mk2 and call it quits but the current prices Vs what I sold for hurts.

Idea is no cyclops and brushed bracelet are the best bets but with doner kebab wrists the options are limited. Air King is the logical choice but I'm really not into the Morrisons logo.
    Contenders are:
    • Exp 2 in white
    • Milgauss GV and maybe brush the bracelet
    • DJ41 in blue or black on oyster with a smooth bezel
    • OP41 in black or blue
    • Wait for Watches & Wonders and/or get over yourself

Apart from "there is more to life than rolex" is there anything I'm missing? Seems like the forum is missing a :loser: icon.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 9th March 2023 at 16:01.

You’ve already found the answer; Air King.

IMHO the OP41 black dial fits your requirements the best.

It will do anything you need it to do, and somehow manages to be extremely basic and boring, yet classy and attractive.
    Nothing special about it, no complication, no exciting handset… that should fit the bill nicely?

If you can cope with the PCLs and the cyclops I would personally pick a datejust over the OP but all comes down to personal tastes

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    If youve been through 20/25 Rolex as failed office watches, I doubt youre going to stick with "the most boring one you can find"
    Rather than dumping multiple thousands on the most boring thing for the office why not rotate your current stock or brush the links of the blnr or something?

That said, out of your list, white exp2

Why most boring though? Don't you want something that you'll look forward to wearing every day but not be overly* concerned about? I never wear my 39mm Exp, just too boring. I have recently been mulling over the Yachtmaster II (steel/blue), albeit would want to brush the bracelet. Thinking that would solve the boredom factor. Or a Skydweller.

* depends how important this is, given you live in / around London.

Just stop obsessing about Rolex. Can’t think why you do it.

Got to be OP41 back dial surely? Not the bright blue though, that's a stunning dial in the flesh. I don't agree with Exp2 either. I just got the black dial and its far from boring but would be a good one and done.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I keep telling him this, yet he keeps reverting back to his old ways. And he has the right answer as it is, no date latest iteration sub.....

Master
    What are doner kebab Wrists?

The answer is a tudor ranger or bb36

Master
    Blog Entries
    White op36 I think

Master
    Simple OP 39 - white dial

Craftsman
    If you don't want a cyclops, why is the Explorer II on the list ?

or you could just hang a clock on the sodding wall...

The only interesting modern Rolexes are Tudors so you are really quite spoiled for choice for boring Rolexes.

This.

They are ALL boring; the most trite, predictable possible watch choice and savagely overvalued. Why'd you think you've never bonded? They're the grey Porsche 911 of the watch world - good, no question, but also safe, unimaginative, conformist and dull.

Buy something you actually like. Or just accept you got more flipper in you than a horny dolphin...

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    This.

They are ALL boring; the most trite, predictable possible watch choice and savagely overvalued. Why'd you think you've never bonded? They're the grey Porsche 911 of the watch world - good, no question, but also safe, unimaginative, conformist and dull.

Buy something you actually like. Or just accept you got more flipper in you than a horny dolphin...
    100%
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I don't know about modern Rolex, but I've recently been wondering if there is such a beast as a nice modern watch. By that, I mean a watch that is actually new, isn't a bodge of styling cues from the history of watches or fugly.

The only thing that comes directly to mind is Eddie's own beastie with the crown at 12 - it's made of case hardened marmite, but at least it's original and at least arguably an elegant solution.

When it comes to Rolex, they appear to me to be the company most at fault for producing increasingly elaborate copies of their earlier watches. Like everyone else...

To directly answer the OP's question yes, it's the airking. Preferably a vintage one.

This.

The Explorer is, on paper, the perfect watch. In reality, I never looked at mine with lust. I sometimes think of looking for another but it'd be a folly, Rolex is a brand that makes inherently boring watches. Of course, this is part of the secret of their success, take few risks, but there's little to set the heart alight.

Master
    Because for most people it's the best brand going so they want to talk about it.

Given you’ve stipulated no cyclops, brushed bracelet, boring (presumably conservative) design, not too small (kebab wrists) and currently in production then the only answer is the black dial OP41.

Great watch, I had the black OP39 which from what I understand wears about the same as the 41 in reality.

Master
    Easy win for the OP41 here. I prefer the term 'understated'

Grand Master
    36mm Explorer, Datejust or OP are the only Rolex models that remotely tempt me, I`ve owned all 3 over the years and let them go. Much as I`m a fan of the 36mm cases I think it would've made sense to keep the 39mm Explorer 1 in production alongside the current version, that would keep the chunkier monkeys happy.

Hadn`t realised the OP was on a 'journey' through watchland; if he likes the 39mm Explorer maybe the right thing to do is go out and buy the best example he can find and forget about previous sales etc. The later ones with the 'right' hand length were fine, just a bit too big compared to the 36mm for my taste.

Or how about the current larger size OP? Now the lugs have lost some lard the design works OK in the larger size....... not as good as the 36mm but that's me expressing my opinion (even though, as usual, I`m right)

To be clear I haven't been through 25 Rolex. At least not yet I don't think anyway.

A 4 line 14060M would be the dream if I had normal wrists or a 214270 if I was willing to suck up the price. Maybe a brushed Milguass isn't so bad.

Whole idea is just to have something which isn't ostentatiously Rolex.

Custom Explorer?

The only Rolex that speaks to me is an OP. Maybe I’m boring, maybe I find the rest of the modern catalogue a bit much. Fortunately, I’m blessed with not having the budget for such considerations, anyway.

OP, we don’t know each other, and haven’t interacted on the forum much but you strike me as something of a trend follower. I don’t mean any offence by it but you always seem drawn to the most hyped watches, including whatever Tudor has just released, any Rolex one can’t buy at the AD, a Royal Oak, the moonswatch, the CW Bel canto etc.

I don’t think getting a ‘boring’ watch is what you need, maybe you just need to find what you like, rather than chasing what’s hot and then losing interest when it’s not.

Again, no offence meant, just a well intended observation.

Master
    Yes I would go with the black dial 41 op too. A fairly recent out of production would be a 116600. No pcl, no cyclops.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

What's the most boring everyday Rolex in production?

From previous posts you mentioned that your wrist is 7.5inches (19cm) . This isn’t really that large , in fact same as mine and I can wear a 39mm watch no problem. Get the 4 line sub that you mentioned and enjoy it:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post of the year!

The correct answer is to try another Grand Seiko. Plenty of models to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post

The correct answer is to try another Grand Seiko. Plenty of models to choose from.
    This!
    A quartz GS could be perfect, interesting to watch geeks, flies under the radar, fantastic quality

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    I don't know about modern Rolex, but I've recently been wondering if there is such a beast as a nice modern watch. By that, I mean a watch that is actually new, isn't a bodge of styling cues from the history of watches or fugly.
    I can relate to that. I love vintage, but I’ve seen them all now, and I‘m tiring of slightly plastic looking modern recreations. I’m starting to yearn for a modern watch that actually looks like it came from the 2020s. Unfortunately that’s probably an Apple Watch, as mechanical watches are inherently retro. The GS Omiwatari is one of the few that hits that spot.

As for the OPs question, I’d agree that it’s probably a silver dialled Oyster Perpetual 36, but luckily their most boring watch is also one of their best. That or a Sub, surely that fits the brief ;-)

Cool

Mr Boring (sandwich) your thread has arrived…🤣

Craftsman
    This.

If you find a Porsche 911 dull, you need driving lessons. If you find Rolex savagely overvalued, you need to escape your peasantry.

Your safe, unimaginative, conformist and dull vitriol is borne of envy rather than experience.
    Last edited by Satori; 9th March 2023 at 22:10.

This.
    Glad you agree.

However, everything else you typed is, at least IMO, b*llocks.

Most of us have strong opinions Tony, I have to admit that since I shook off the brand I have enjoyed watch finding/ownership and research much more interesting.

I have no desire to get back into it again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    If you find a Porsche 911 dull, you need driving lessons. If you find Rolex savagely overvalued, you need to escape your peasantry.

Your safe, unimaginative, conformist and dull vitriol is borne of envy rather than experience.
    Glad you agree.

Time for the BP?

Seeing as you ask: I’d get a DJ36 (or 41 depending on fit) in blue with plain bezel and oyster bracelet.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 10th March 2023 at 00:03.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    911s are absolutely beautiful and far from boring.
    They've gotten a bit big granted but those lines!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    This!
    A quartz GS could be perfect, interesting to watch geeks, flies under the radar, fantastic quality
    Would definitely tick the boring box as well ;-)

Had one of the clouds GS but it was too dressy for me.

Do like the GS divers but I think 6-8k with a stamped clasp is a liberty. I'd rather spend the same bracket on a 214270.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Would definitely tick the boring box as well ;-)
    What’s the Japanese equivalent of a 911?
    I might look for the set.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    What’s the Japanese equivalent of a 911?
    I might look for the set.
    MX5 according to tz

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    OP41 in black is the only correct answer IMHO.

No date/cyclops

5 year warranty (assuming new)

Brushed bracelet so not too blingy

Black dial quite understated

41mm* so a decent size

Likely to retain its value

I don’t see a downside?

AirKing is far too busy by comparison (although I do like it for a change, when I had mine I found I never wore it…..)

*not actually 41mm

This was going to end one way. What a forum!

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post

Looks fantastic Wiley.

I'm still in Bluewater getting dragged around the shops.

Sent from my SM-S906B using Tapatalk

Brilliantly boring. Enjoy pal.

No! The OP39 is a definitely more boring, I had the OP39, it's the Rolex Vanilla flavour, it should be beige. No lumed numerals and no aspirations of being a mountain climber. I definitely prefer the Explorer, but with a name like that it can't be the most boring watch Rolex produce.

Nice to see you bite the bullet, nothing else was going to satisfy the craving, it was always going to be. I’m still kicking myself for selling my second and know there will very likely be a third. If this was just a little bigger it would be perfect for me.

Absolutely not the most boring Rolex! Looks great, hope you are happy with it.

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. Now for the final new watch ritual, YouTube videos while wearing it.

Mark, hope you're finally home!

Master
    Big, bold and brash sum up Rolex for me. Great tool watch, tough and reliable too.
    I’ve my name on “ze list” for an Explorer ll. But in exploring alternatives - like Chopard, Breguet etc Rolex just don’t cut it. Over 1 million a year is hardly exclusive is it?
    I’ve decided to invest (wrong word) in something more under the radar so will cancel my “interest” but can understand those who swear by them. Just not my bag I guess.