closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Poster repair/restoration - anyone had one done?

Master
    Exiled in the Land that time forgot - Yorkshire

Poster repair/restoration - anyone had one done?

Hello chaps

I've finally bought my grail poster for the wall, an original 1977 Sex Pistols Holidays in the sun poster. I've not spent the four figures that I've been quoted on a mint example, I bought one for less. But at a cost.

The poster has some sellotape marks that have, over the years, etched their way onto the front

I want to restore it to its former glory, but keeping a hint of originality, ie the edges which are a tad frayed. It will be going in a frame, eventually.

So has anyone had something similar repaired? If so, any recommendations?

Thanks as always

Adam

Sadly that looks like the acids from the tape eating into the poster, so trying to remove that would be more detrimental as you'd damage the paper further and remove the print, so you'd then get into the position of having to restore the print parts and match, etc.. My advice is to frame it and enjoy it as is, as a part of its history.

I have a poster that needs restoration and after research and a few emails I’m going to send it to Canada, give these an email and I think they’ll do a great job.

https://www.backingtothefuture.com

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post
    Sadly that looks like the acids from the tape eating into the poster, so trying to remove that would be more detrimental as you'd damage the paper further and remove the print, so you'd then get into the position of having to restore the print parts and match, etc.. My advice is to frame it and enjoy it as is, as a part of its history.
    Agree with Adi.

Never use sellotape on anything remotely collectable.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Just to add, I contacted several known poster restoration companies in the UK and their prices were toppy to say the least and reviews were not the best, Backingtothefuture were well recommended, apparently once a poster is linen backed it’s often more valuable and their restoration of missing print and paper is second to none

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Linen backing and painting in missing parts, etc., is a really amazing process and the results can be outstanding. I would love to know how they would deal with the acid damage. Looking at some of those examples they seem to get rid of it.

I'd love to see these repairs in person though, as I suspect they turn the poster into something else, but that's probably no bad things as they were never meant to last.

It's punk perfect, whack it in a second hand frame from the Red Cross shop.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH