closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a decent toaster.

Master
    Bosch Toaster, just works, white black or red:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...3J4W9MNFMGCJJY
    Last edited by genesos; 28th August 2014 at 23:41.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bat View Post
    Also, have you noticed that the OP of these threads never seems to contribute anything after his first post?
    When I am asking for collective wisdom on a purchase why would I contribute further?

Fortunately as usual the forum as a whole has contributed with a wealth of first hand knowledge as opposed to you with your snarky remarks.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

A dis-recommendation for Dualit here, I'm afraid.

We bought the 4-slice about 6 years ago.

Firstly the timer jammed (which could be dangerous - it's a clockwork timer, and it switches off the power to the heating elements, so when it jams the elements stay on and the toast can go up in flames). Dualit reluctantly repaired it under warranty.

Then one of the elements went - replaced it myself.

Even now, the toast is rarely done evenly on both sides.

Given the premium price, and that we don't eat that much toast (normally only at weekends) - and there's only 2 adults in the house, so no children abusing it - it's all a bit disappointing, really.

Best toast I ever had was made using the "bat" on an Aga, though I appreciate that (even for this forum), suggesting the purchase of an Aga just to make toast is mild overkill.

Again, thanks for all the recommendations Gents.

My Mrs is off to the shops tomorrow and next week to check them out with her tape measure as apparently some bread is difficult to fit in and descriptions on the net are often a bit lax in this department.

I only eat it.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
    Rowlett is the answer.

We have one of these

2 slots and a bun cage.

Built like a tank. Leaves Dualit for dead.

The toast will be remembered long after the price is forgotten.
    All this is true. I bought one of these last year and it is built like a stealthy tank:

I was seduced by Dualits reputation and bought one on a whim. I put the canary yellow, plastic, 15 year old Morphy Richards toaster in the loft and happily thought of many long years of perfect "Dualit" toast. After 14 months the element blew so I bought the Morphy Richards out of retirement whilst I got the Dualit fixed. I never did in the end, the yellow plastic thing is still producing perfect toast and the Dualit was consigned to the dustbin about 7 years ago. Veblen goods my arse.

Recommend a decent toaster.

Dualit. We have had one 10 years plus with no problems. The wife thinks it's a poncy piece of kit, does not think it's any different to other toasters but agrees it looks good.

Grand Master
    My wife makes nice toast,so depends where you live I guess if you fancy a slice ;-).

Of toast that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Your best bet is probably to join one of the Forums - "TUS", or "ToasterUSeek" is probably a bit "cliquey", but they have manufacturer-specific sub-fora although these can be a bit blinkered at times. It's heavily moderated, as well.

"BMT" is dedicated to British Military Toasters, and again a bit inward-looking, but if you can get over that, it's probably a good place for sound advice when it comes to more functional, or "tool" toasters.

It all depends what you're looking for. An everyday "beater" or something more "dressy" for special occasions?
    I'm a fan of the Friday 'what are you toasting today' threads. I'm always amazed at how popular the Nato toasters are.

Master
    whatever you do buy one NOW before the eu regs come in which means a 60w maximum toaster element.

This means of course that the bread rots before the toaster ever manages to toast it but the politicians reckon it will save energy - so tha's alright then !

B

After spending over £200 on a Rowlett Rutland I was disappointed that it arrived with one of its rubber feet missing. In fairness to Rowlett, they very quickly and apologetically resolved the situation. However, this morning the 4 week old toaster tripped the kitchen fuse twice, the second time with a flash and loud crack. I'm less than impressed with the Rowlett experience so far and will be asking for my money back.
    Last edited by Optimum; 23rd November 2014 at 09:26.

Rowlett or Burco.

Oops. Thought this might have been a reggae post...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    The grill in your cooker, especially if it's gas.
    My 87 year old father uses his grill, keeps having to go back to see if it's done. Last time is was at his I was telling him to just buy a toaster, when it pops it's done. He was telling me how he didn't need one then the smoke alarm went off! Lol.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    whatever you do buy one NOW before the eu regs come in which means a 60w maximum toaster element.

This means of course that the bread rots before the toaster ever manages to toast it but the politicians reckon it will save energy - so tha's alright then !

B
    I don't understand this sort of legislation.... Reduce the power of a kettle and it just means it takes longer to boil; nett effect the same. Reduce the power of a toaster and it takes longer to cook; nett effect the same. I just don't follow the logic.... I guess the 'logic' is people will get bored with waiting so use warm water for making their tea and eat uncooked toast.

Personally it's my electric, I pay for it. If I want to use it then it's up to me!

Damn... I'm starting to get angry now!! :-(

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    I don't understand this sort of legislation.... Reduce the power of a kettle and it just means it takes longer to boil; nett effect the same. Reduce the power of a toaster and it takes longer to cook; nett effect the same. I just don't follow the logic.... I guess the 'logic' is people will get bored with waiting so use warm water for making their tea and eat uncooked toast.

Personally it's my electric, I pay for it. If I want to use it then it's up to me!

Damn... I'm starting to get angry now!! :-(
    With toasters (and vacuum cleaners) I can see that it might encourage manufactures to make more efficient models (element closer to the bread?).

Don't see much can be done with kettles though, the element is virtually in the water and there's very little energy wasted - perhaps less if it boils quickly.

Journeyman
    After years of buying cheap toasters we bought a dualit from John Lewis, 4 slice one. Wasn't cheap but makes the best toast I've ever had.

Heres hoping it lasts lifetime,!

Quote Originally Posted by bigup View Post
    After years of buying cheap toasters we bought a dualit from John Lewis, 4 slice one. Wasn't cheap but makes the best toast I've ever had.

Heres hoping it lasts lifetime,!
    I agree , we've had ours years now , the trick is get it going and warmed up before putting the bread in, it then comes out perfect.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Firstly the timer jammed (which could be dangerous - it's a clockwork timer, and it switches off the power to the heating elements, so when it jams the elements stay on and the toast can go up in flames). Dualit reluctantly repaired it under warranty.
    UPDATE: The timer has just broken again. We'll be getting a new toaster this weekend, and it certainly won't be another Dualit!

Master
    I'm wondering if manufacture has been relocated to China (or the timer is coming from a similar source)? Our Dualit is over seven years old (bought in the last house and we moved 7 years ago so it's at least 7 years old) and still going fine. It's lasted longer than any toaster we've had before.

Master
    Had our Dualit for 14 years now without any issues. Still works as well as it did when we first had it.

Like it so much also bought a Dualit kettle which also has been faultless.

Master
    After reading this thread I bought a Rowlett and have bee toasting happily for several months.

The Dualit it replaced was binned, literally.

I would have to add to the happy Dualit user comments - bought my toaster & kettle in 1997 and still in use (admittedly not heavy use as use the coffee machine more than the kettle) but do suspect quality has crept down over the years.

This would make sense as the kettle is cheaper than the one I bought in 1997 and the toaster only a little more expensive.

Craftsman
    Cant recommend a brand but from what I hear you need to get a very very expensive one as the cheaper ones have some kind of coating on the elements which gets on the toast and is harmful. I think Manufactum have good ones

Master
    Binned our Dualit. All style and poor toast.

Now use a sub-£30 Russell Hobbs that works really well.

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Forget the reviews... believe me if you want a toaster a Duralit is the make to go for. Expensive - yes. But we've had our four slice unit for 7 years now and it's still working as good as the day we got it. Okay it hasn't got flashy functions like warming or self sensing or de-frost mode - it's just a proper toaster and it does that brilliantly. Before we got the Duralit we seemed to go through toasters every 2-3 years. If a high street toaster goes wrong you chuck. For a start a Duralit never goes wrong and, if it does, you can buy the spare part and fix it yourself!

IMHO :-)
    +1 from me- have had to repair it but was easy; buy parts from e-bay & install yourself - had it for ages 14+ years, plus it is a design classic.

Journeyman
    One more for Magimix here

Master
    Another vote for Dualit!

Our Duralit was purchased in 1990 - I have changed a couple of elements, but other that that its has been flawless.

Does anyone one else do the re-cooked toast method for extra crispy toast.

Toast the bread when you are have your Cornflakes and then again just before you are just to eat it. Crispy and lovely.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Okay, story time from someone who's dealt with Dualit on behalf of customers at big green JL.

Only the Newgen is made in the UK (Crawley). The Lite, Architect and whatnot are manufactured in China (according to Dualit's own specifications) as are their kettles - yes, including the new "Classic" kettle with the replaceable element. The Newgen is the only toaster in their range that uses a mechanical timer. Being mechanical, and in the vicinity of a lot of crumbs and heat/cool cycles, it is prone to getting gunk caught in it and jamming. This can be prevented easily by removing the black top (pulls right off) and wiping the surface.

Now, the meat in this issue. Thanks to an aftersales dispute a colleague and I had with Dualit, they now sell and actually label all their toasters as "attended appliances", meaning you shouldn't just walk off and leave it on, thus taking away liability if the thing catches fire and burns your house down. The EU also recognises toasters as "attended appliances", so it stands there too. Would it stand in an insurance claim...thats beyond me. But Dualit are aware of the issue with mechanical timers and advise maintenance (they are also user replaceable). That said, their aftersales is the best in class I've seen from any manufacturer and will go above and beyond to take responsibility for their own products.

Master
    The Dualit posts in this thread suggest that it's a good toaster - with poor production quality control.

Banned
    Blog Entries

dualit range

interestingly was helping my other half choose a toaster yesterday (who would have thought it would be complex)

i've had a dualit 15 years, i've got through a couple of elements but works well, so took her to at the dualit toasters. I was horrified at the way the architect range felt, cheap chromed plastic, wobbly parts. Ok it's half the price of the original.

I now need to buy a new one for my flat at work, i'll be buying a classic dualit, i do like the option of the combo ones though to do toasties in, but i'd double i would ever use it

Master
    +1 for dualit. made in UK

Master
    Just spent £20 on a 4 slice one from Sainsbury. Our previous one has lasted a few years of pretty much daily use. For me, they just need to work and pop the bread out when done - our previous one had stopped doing that. Lets seen how this one gets on....

Blog Entries
    How much is average toaster? £40 or £50?

Would you pay £100 for a toaster that you could guarantee a level of ‘browness’ and never ever burned your toast / hot cross bun?

(assume it looks ace!!!)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Our Dualit is over twenty years old,easy to rebuild imho.

This is a reasonably priced, yet good toaster.
    What I like is that it takes thick slices of bread, crumpets, and even samosas.
    They also do a 4 slice.

https://amp-direct-asda-com.cdn.ampp...ult%2Cpd.htmlP

Blog Entries
    I got a see-through Magimix Vision, but just because it was 50% off on Black Friday. Full price is outrageous , but it really does a good job plus can see the level of brown8ng as it happens. Would but it again, but not full price.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    How much is average toaster? £40 or £50?

Would you pay £100 for a toaster that you could guarantee a level of ‘browness’ and never ever burned your toast / hot cross bun?

(assume it looks ace!!!)
    I bumped this to get answer to this question!!!

Dualit. The Miele of toasters.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I bumped this to get answer to this question!!!
    We spent more on a Dualit and it can both not toast fully and yet burn at the same time.

When we had the kitchen done, it went to my sis in law. We use the grill in the oven, no toaster has ever come close to a grill but adds significant ease. We also wanted a clean worktop with nothing really out.

This day & age, I cannot imagine why we aren’t capable of a decent looking toaster with visual colour sensors that cook the toast to perfection each time, then I’d buy one to keep in the cupboard for when I want toast.

Not having a toaster does mean I’m loathed to heat up the grill for just 2 slices. Should have kept the Dualit but a bit late now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    We spent more on a Dualit and it can both not toast fully and yet burn at the same time.

When we had the kitchen done, it went to my sis in law. We use the grill in the oven, no toaster has ever come close to a grill but adds significant ease. We also wanted a clean worktop with nothing really out.

This day & age, I cannot imagine why we aren’t capable of a decent looking toaster with visual colour sensors that cook the toast to perfection each time, then I’d buy one to keep in the cupboard for when I want toast.

Not having a toaster does mean I’m loathed to heat up the grill for just 2 slices. Should have kept the Dualit but a bit late now.
    The toaster I’m describing doesn’t exist as far as I can see, but I think I know how to make one…. I invent stuff for a living…

I’ve made some contacts in the industry to see if anyone would buy one that covers two key points

Commercial a It won’t burn…. It’s the #1 reason for nuisance alarms with fire detectors

Consumer - It will also toast to your preferred level of brown and won’t burn anything….Some colour sensing stuff exists but works on a different premise to what I’m considering…. The idea we’ve come up with should be a lot cheaper to make and more effective

I’d guess there’d be a market for such a thing? I just wanted find out on here if anyone would pay a premium for such a solution?
    Last edited by Wolfie; 31st March 2023 at 19:00.

I’d be happy to pay around 100€ for a toaster if it looked right and/or had some bells and whistles I liked. Wouldn’t go far beyond that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    I’d be happy to pay around 100€ for a toaster if it looked right and/or had some bells and whistles I liked. Wouldn’t go far beyond that.
    Like not burning your toast - ever?!!!

Like not burning your toast - ever?!!!
    It has never been a problem for me but sure, if it looks good I’m willing to pay around 100€, which would be double price compared to the cheap and adequate.

There are also differences in bread type that influences toasting time, my lad has toasted bagels in the morning and they toast very quickly, and the difference between a light toasting and incineration seems to be measured in par secs. Warberton crumpets can go ages before an acceptable level of toast is achieved.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    There are also differences in bread type that influences toasting time, my lad has toasted bagels in the morning and they toast very quickly, and the difference between a light toasting and incineration seems to be measured in par secs. Warberton crumpets can go ages before an acceptable level of toast is achieved.
    Just luuurv Warburtons Milk loaf toast. Nice, lightish, even toast. Great with butter and honey or marmalade, no good with a more robust topping like baked beans or sardines.

Had Dualit toasters for as long as I can remember, the household decision making criteria are weighted towards appearance. Performance wise, they’re crap. I might get my own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Go on. I will write the 100th post.

Only on TZ can you get 100 posts discussing and recommending a toaster!!

Vive le forum.