closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car paint damage

Car paint damage

Car got a load of rusty spots appearing today and turns out it’s due to some angle grinding sparks which are rusting. My immediate thoughts were I’d be needing to get the panels painted. Called a couple of places and they reckon possible to do a mix of clean, clay, flat and polish and it’ll come up good. Anyone had an experience of this. It’s very expensive rectification work but no doubt cheaper than new paint so would prefer this option, but, only if it really does recover it back.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    Car got a load of rusty spots appearing today and turns out it’s due to some angle grinding sparks which are rusting. My immediate thoughts were I’d be needing to get the panels painted. Called a couple of places and they reckon possible to do a mix of clean, clay, flat and polish and it’ll come up good. Anyone had an experience of this. It’s very expensive rectification work but no doubt cheaper than new paint so would prefer this option, but, only if it really does recover it back.
    Sounds about right.

There are plenty of chemicals to remove iron and iron fall out. I'd use the chemicals first and then the clay bar. Then a case of machine correction / polishing and then sealing with a decent wax.

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

I agree. I've used Gtechniq Iron and Fallout Remover with good results for a similar issue. It's unlikely that sparks could've embedded themselves deep in the clearcoat, so it's probably just on the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerboy View Post
    Sounds about right.

There are plenty of chemicals to remove iron and iron fall out. I'd use the chemicals first and then the clay bar. Then a case of machine correction / polishing and then sealing with a decent wax.

Yes there are chemicals like Iron-X you spray on the car and they turn purple and hopefully remove the iron particles. I would try one of these before anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    Whereabouts are you based?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Yes there are chemicals like Iron-X you spray on the car and they turn purple and hopefully remove the iron particles. I would try one of these before anything else.
    I believe Iron X have changed the formulae so it no longer smells like rotten eggs! Sounds exactly like what the op needs though.

As mentioned above it shouldn’t have damaged the paintwork. Check the glass though as the sparks have a habit of embedding in it and rusting

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyboy View Post
    Whereabouts are you based?
    This - as one of us probably already owns the chemicals you need to use, or can lend a hand sorting it.

Master
    Bilt Hamber Korrosol is very good
    Last edited by thegreatdogwood; 4th April 2023 at 08:40.

Thanks for the comments. I’m in Sussex btw. I’ll need to go and check the glass now as if that’s damaged that sound like it’s beyond any clay bar treatment. Also headlights could be impacted too. I’m told time is of the essence, needs to come off asap.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    Bilt Hamber Korrosol is very good
    This.

I use Korrosol as a matter of course if I'm detailing car bodywork and it's very effective at removing all of the non-evident metallic particles.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gingerboy View Post
    Sounds about right.

I remember doing exactly this and all worked fine. I didn’t need paint correction but simple polishing. My car was silver so possibly easier to hide.

Master
    Another Korrosol vote here.

Delivered by 1pm tmrw on Amazon.

Master
    A red hot spark will easily burn its way into plastic paint/clearcoat (which a lot is).